Considering Second Hand Volvo

BBJ

I recently sold my KIA carnival as it wasn't getting its intended use.  And in exchange I decided to buy at the time a 2019 Mazda BT50 pro which I thought would be useful for the bike.  Used twice for that purpose and if I am honest I have the ride and I am not looking forward to the school run from Min Buri to near the main Airport. 

I am consideting a an S60 or V40 2013-2015.  Prices are in thw region of 400-600k  We already have a new CX-5 which the wife uses for work, and I have been through Honda and looking for something different 

Any feedback on reliability, feedback and part here hete useful.  Cars I have browsed typically have 80,000 to 100, 000km on the clock whichdn't be 

4 hours ago, BBJ said:

I recently sold my KIA carnival as it wasn't getting its intended use.  And in exchange I decided to buy at the time a 2019 Mazda BT50 pro which I thought would be useful for the bike.  Used twice for that purpose and if I am honest I have the ride and I am not looking forward to the school run from Min Buri to near the main Airport. 

I am consideting a an S60 or V40 2013-2015.  Prices are in thw region of 400-600k  We already have a new CX-5 which the wife uses for work, and I have been through Honda and looking for something different 

Any feedback on reliability, feedback and part here hete useful.  Cars I have browsed typically have 80,000 to 100, 000km on the clock whichdn't be 

I have owned one Volvo, though many years back, I loved it, but, if you need a part or mechanical repairs, you may get a shock....????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BBJ said:

Suggest you do not buy a Volvo – new or s/hand

Have a friend in Pattaya who has now bought new 2 Volvos and has trouble with both- both have broken down

One important problem is he has to take them to Bangkok to fix anything more than an oil change, forget local Dealers!

2 hours ago, transam said:

I have owned one Volvo, though many years back, I loved it, but, if you need a part or mechanical repairs, you may get a shock....????

Had a 740 for a few years, never let me down.

One of the things I did notice was the ' model upgrade by badge change ' when I was looking to buy. A few 760's turned out to be 740's  760 6 cylinder 740 4 cylinders.

Now it's not so easy since they stopped the number system based on series/cylinders/doors.

Kerbside dealers would add a good bit by changing a 244 into a 264 by changing the badge at the back.

Edit.

One or two 760's did have 4 cylinders but were turbo charged diesels.

????

Edited by overherebc

Great cars - but the down side to ownership here is the dealer network.

In Europe or N. America there are specialized shops with the diagnostic equipment to ID the fault and repair.

Here - even the dealers fall short.

Same same Ducati - would love a Multistrada, but parts supply - or lack thereof - puts me off.

• Like 2

I bought a V40 3 years ago - excellent vehicle with no breakdowns.

Mine has a 5 year free maintenance parts and labour + roadside assistance - I don't know how long Volvo have been doing this but if it is free I am sure that gets past one of the major problems here in Thailand, a lack of regular servicing.

I have used Volvo in Phuket and Hatyai; both have all the equipment and trained mechanics who know how to use it (not so BMW in Phuket).

If you don't live near a dealer or are not prepared to travel to one then don't buy a Volvo as the electrical systems are computer directed and serviced and the car won't do well at the local bodge shop.

I love the S60, a fine car, but I also was told about the problems mentioned with European cars. So I would prefer a Honda Accord or so.

Or, from my heart, I would take the Volvo. Or an old German car, Mercedes or BMW. 

Listen to your heart. ????

Between us, my wife and I have owned 3 Volvo's, and loved them all. None, I have to say, in Thailand, all were in UK. The first, a second hand  3l 760 Estate, was incapable of passing a filling station without a visit, bit otherwise utterly reliable, and could carry 300l of wine from France plus two bikes and all our luggage. And, we sold it for more than we paid! 

The second, a 740 estate, was a great improvement, but service costs were high, and spare parts astronomical!

The wifes' sporty 450 was spoiled slightly when it crashed, but well repaired. The dealer told us, when we bought it, that the car was designed to last 20 years. 20 years and 2 months after we bought it, the underside suddenly rotted through and the paint started blistering!

My Japanese friend has an old saloon, can't remember which model, and he has replaced the engine and gearbox with Toyota. He says he loves it, but I rarely see him use it, and to me it's an old banger.

Bottom line, unless you can print your own banknotes, don't buy! Not in Thailand.

Edited by Grusa

The V40 and S60 you mention are based on the Ford Global C and Ford EUCD platforms, respectively. These were designed by Ford in Cologne and used on a variety of cars (e.g. various Ford, Volvo, JLR and Mazda models). 

Many of the components are Ford derived, including the electronics, suspension components etc.  These cars are a world away from the old Volvo 244, 740 'tanks'. 

Most of the V40 and S60 of the age you mention would have been built at the Shah Alam factory in Malaysia.

Personally I would not bother owning a Volvo in Thailand. Sticking with one of the Japanese brands will be less hassle in the long run.

• Like 1

Long time ago in UK I had a Volvo 265 diesel estate, V6 2.4cc

Built like an absolute tank, I had it for 6 years only changed one set of tires.

Never ever let me down, later I upgraded to a S60, drove it for 5 years with no issues.

The current new models can have some issues with everything now made from plastic, stick to a low mileage older model and enjoy it.

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Had a 740 for a few years, never let me down.

One of the things I did notice was the ' model upgrade by badge change ' when I was looking to buy. A few 760's turned out to be 740's  760 6 cylinder 740 4 cylinders.

Now it's not so easy since they stopped the number system based on series/cylinders/doors.

Kerbside dealers would add a good bit by changing a 244 into a 264 by changing the badge at the back.

Edit.

One or two 760's did have 4 cylinders but were turbo charged diesels.

????

Mine was a 1988 760 2.8 V6 estate, they also did a 760 2.3 with a turbo, and a 740 2.3 turbo...The 760/740 wings/hood were different.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Mine was a 1988 760 2.8 V6 estate, they also did a 760 2.3 with a turbo, and a 740 2.3 turbo...The 760/740 wings/hood were different.

Did you know the car manufacturing by volvo started as a sbsiduary of SKF bearings in 1927. I didn't until yesterday ????

And Volvo is Latin for

I roll.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

We have 1985 Volvo 850 GLE bought second hand in 1993. Still looks like new and runs like new. Serviced mainly by Volvo on Ladprao. Excellent car, one of Mike Brewer's all time world-wide top ten.

The 850 was a good car but its not really relevant to the Volvo's that the OP is asking about.

The cars the OP is querying were designed when Volvo was under Ford's stewardship. E.g. the S60 uses the Ford EUCD platform (same as the Mondeo and LR Freelander 2). The engines are mostly re-badged Ford engines, only the 5-cyl is Volvo's own. And most of the electrcal/braking/steering/suspension system components are Ford. That's not all bad news because Ford of Europe are good at designing fine-handling cars.  But they're not built like those old 850's..

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 1:29 PM, transam said:

I had a 5 cylinder Diesel and I loved it.

I think the engine was produced by Volkswagen, but whenever I had to see a garage, my wallet shrank. 

One of the reasons that they are considered unreliable is actually related to the average cost of repairs.

When car repair costs are higher the dependability of the vehicle is reduced accordingly.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, Big Guns said:

A Volvo dealership will be opening in Pattaya this year. That's what a Bangkok dealer told me when I was looking at the S60 T8.

I visited the Volvo stand at the motor-show and they told me that they will open a dealership in Chonburi, not in Pattaya but I hope that you are right, I am also interested in the S60 T8, what a car.

All Volvo cars are limited to 180 km/h from 2021 which is a bummer! Okay I seldom wants to go that fast but the boy in me don't like it.