What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

On 9/2/2021 at 3:17 PM, sanuk711 said:

If you liked Vera then

UK----------- I have only given you crime-- & only given you UK-but there is so many more series that are worth looking at.

George Gently--- 24 Episodes 7 series, is along the same lines only better IMO...Set in the 60s Newcastle (same as Vera) but he (George)  is sent there from the Flying Squad-London, where he didn't fit in with the brown envalopes.

Dark Heart is just 1 series 6 Episodes-- but it is Vera's side kick, promoted and out on his own hunting down a serial Pedophile killer---

DCI Banks   32 Episodes....... 6 series...Same writer that does most of the BBC crime....Good UK crime.---Colin Dexter

Endeavour 29 Episodes  7 Series----Set in the 60s in Oxford --this is a young Inspector Morse---good acting written by Colin Dexter, still running.

Inspector Morse-     In 2018, this series was named the greatest British crime drama of all time by The Radio Times---many spin offs from it.

Lewis---44 Episodes 9 series---Spin off from the Inspector Morse (after he dies-Which he did) and set in present day Oxford.

Foyle's War----  28 Episodes 9 series ---One of the Best IMO-so popular its all still all on Pirates ---set in war time Britain.

Hinterland.---- 15 Episodes 3 series---Great Acting , but oh so dark--A noir crime drama set in Aberystwyth, Wales, where troubled DCI Tom Mathias solves murders while searching for redemption., they (the locals) sometimes brake into Welsh, but its subbed when they do.

Silent Witness- Of course--- 23 Series but only really starts moving after Series 9 IMO.   Great acting --still at the top after many years.

Scott And Bailey  39 Episodes--5 Series..... 2 women Detectives---But Its good well worth a look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one from Canada really worth mentioning-----

Cardinal---23 Episodes 4 series --Excellent series , Dark crimes & quite Violent---about the best I have seen come from there.

Great list Sanuk711 Thanks for that, I can personally vouch for everyone of those as being very good indeed.

You might also like to add what I consider the best of the best Trial and Retribution

Gets even better when Victoria Smurfit comes into the series about half way through

Another great crime detective series is Above Suspicion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm watching The High Chaparral just now, for any Americans here, this series is set near Tucson Arizona, and always has Mexicans both in the cast and in many other parts.

It was said that Tucson was a two day ride from the Mexican border. I always thought that Arizona was nearly 1000 miles from the Mexican border. That is surely a colossal mistake from the people who made The High Chaparral.

I am also watching Lou Grant and Laramie.

60/70 miles 

Google is your friend. ????

25 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Film Buffs..............An Easy one......

image.png.385c9d90a409f64833a763f13959dccf.png

Much prefer watching Steve to Angie !! ( from an acting point of view !! )

Who can forget Mr Pink or SB’s creepy part in Con Air …………. altogether now …………….. “ he’s got the whole world in his hands “ 

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

Last night I Watched "Truman"....again.

When I lived Kiwi in the 70s I had a friend who was helping edit his ( Peter Weir) first movie--Picnic hanging rock. He said that even then he was raving on about Voyeurism..... How the whole industry is leaning towards Voyeurism. Took a few years but he was certainly right, after the 90s you couldn't turn a TV on without Big Brother/Towie / 90 Day Fiancé --etc In the last 20 years, what they call reality TV is the most popular genre of television programming. And no Actors to pay. Just watch peoples sad lives.

No one has done a Truman----- yet

I liked the last words he said after discovering he had been living as a prisoner in a bubble his whole life, and he had no friends-just people lying to him--- Now days of course, what he would have been saying is... "I'm Lawyer-ing up, See you in Court."

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Much prefer watching Steve to Angie !! ( from an acting point of view !! )

Who can forget Mr Pink or SB’s creepy part in Con Air …………. altogether now …………….. “ he’s got the whole world in his hands “ 

Yer I don't if Steve just managed to get the best lines--- but Mr Pink ..Fargo - pulp Fiction--Boardwalk Empire. he was classic.

Yer Angie has become a "not liked person" with this war on Brad Pitt.  I always assumed she had a Lip job like most of the other stars but looking at the pic seems she always had them.

The Sisters Brothers (2018)

6.9 imdb 

A quirky, dark movie with some dark humour about 2 gunslinging assassins sent to track down a gold prospector who has a “ fail safe “ formula to find gold !!

John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix play the bickering brothers and Jake Gyllenhaal plays a scout also on the trail of the gold prospector.

Despite the great cast this movie failed to make it big at the box office and some very mixed reviews on imdb. 

But , I liked it, it has the 1970’s Western formula, lots of gunfights, drinking and never ending tracking on horseback through some beautiful scenery. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Any idea why a lot of the torrent sites are releasing Billions S05E08? This episode has been released a long time ago, so why re-releasing it now I wonder?

Per IMDB, S05E08 was(or will be) first broadcast Sept 5, 2021.  How nice that you have a torrent-time-machine and got it long ago.

Grantchester....new season (6) just started.

Grantchester is a detective drama, set in the 1950s Cambridgeshire village of the same name. The series is based on The Grantchester Mysteries, a collection of short stories written by James Runcie.

--------------------------------------------------------

The Crews---- Re-release---of 2016 Crime thriller---6 episodes

The drama follows the intertwining paths of two Glasgow gangsters, once friends but now the heads of rival crews in Glasgow's gritty crime underworld. Veteran criminal Mick Turner discovers that his plans for a lucrative retirement have been scuppered by one of his own crew.

The episodes only run for about 20 min---and the acting wont get a Bafta award

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hunt for a Killer       Channel BBC iplayer (04 Sep 2021) 6 episodes all out---Language - Swedish Hard Subs

Based on true stories about real homicide investigations in the south of Sweden between 1989-2004. A reality-based crime drama about the policeman Per-Åke Åkesson and the reconnaissance group that was tasked with investigating several murders of women in northeastern Skåne. The series starts in Hörby in 1989.

--------------------------------------------------------

McDonald & Dodds ---Episode 3 just dropped after nothing for 5 months

Two detectives, DCI McDonald and DS Dodds, who seemingly have nothing in common, are thrown together and forge a rumbustious friendship and entertaining partnership in this two-part British detective drama miniseries set in modern-day Bath.

A real slooow paced burner---each episodes stands alone.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you Found the "Mayday - Aircrash Investigation" programs interesting you might also like this series which looks at some incidents in a slightly different way:-

Terror in the Skies    2013 - 4 Part TV Series -  7.8 Rating

While plane crashes are rare, near misses in our crowded skies are anything but. Thanks to modern technology, these terrifying experiences are being captured more and more, as they happen, on cameras, mobile phones, and cockpit recordings, providing insights that are as informative as they are horrifying. See firsthand how recent pilot errors, technical failures, small mistakes, and big storms have placed passengers in life-or-death situations. Then discover why these incidents happened, and what must be done to prevent them from reoccurring.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could I ask a kind soul to download "Reading A-Z" (it might be listed as Reading AZ)?

It is probably in a .pdf format and files shouldn't be that big. Possible to attach in a PM or by e-mail. 

I am currently without a PC and need it for my daughter's school.

Thanks in advance. 

Had a quick Google and could only find courses to join, nothing that looked just a .pdf file to download.

"Possible to attach in a PM or by e-mail. 

Thanks in advance."   

How's that going to work? :blink:

Post Mortem

Netflix.

"She's back from the dead and has a newfound thirst for blood. Meanwhile, her family's funeral parlor desperately needs more business. Hmm, what if..."

I don't often watch fictional series but gave this one a go and enjoyed all 6 episodes. 

Has English Subs 'n' Dubs (had 2 English subtitle options and changed it to 'British English' because it was more accurate to the dialogue.)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Had a quick Google and could only find courses to join, nothing that looked just a .pdf file to download.

"Possible to attach in a PM or by e-mail. 

Thanks in advance."   

How's that going to work? :blink:

I was hoping it was on one of the torrent sites, like TPB. If I get the material on a .pdf file, I can print it at the local print shop, at least that was the plan.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could I ask a kind soul to download "Reading A-Z" (it might be listed as Reading AZ)?

It is probably in a .pdf format and files shouldn't be that big. Possible to attach in a PM or by e-mail. 

Thanks in advance. 

Here ? Which one ?

https://www.readinga-z.com/

15 minutes ago, Will27 said:

American Rust

American Rust

Being a Jeff Daniels fan, looking forward to this one.
Episode 1 is out there on RAR.

Summary:  A complicated and compromised chief of police is forced to decide how far he’s willing to go when the son of the woman he loves is accused of murder.

If first episodes are anything to go by, definitely worth a watch.

• Like 1