More than 22,000 hospital beds readied as hundreds more cases found

rooster59

40 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

why would the asymptomatic people feel the need to get tested?

In the uk i think you can only go and get tested IF you show symptoms ( but i stand to be corrected about this ).

it won't work here, farang won't get tested, if positive will get a big bill at the end of the stay even if asymptomatic. 

The govt has given the illegal migrants amnesty for this reason, otherwise they would just stay hidden

if the picture of the beds is any indication of an isolation unit then the infection once it starts to show symptoms in someone who is Asymptomatic will spread to all others if it has not already.  Talk about making your own dormitory setting.  Are these folks that dense.  In Bangkok they are waiting to roll out more closures and make restaurants only available for takeaway orders.  Playgrounds for children will be closed, but the Malls will still be open.  Dense.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

if the picture of the beds is any indication of an isolation unit then the infection once it starts to show symptoms in someone who is Asymptomatic will spread to all others if it has not already.  Talk about making your own dormitory setting.  Are these folks that dense.  In Bangkok they are waiting to roll out more closures and make restaurants only available for takeaway orders.  Playgrounds for children will be closed, but the Malls will still be open.  Dense.....

Asymptomatic patients are already infected so I don't understand your comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Asymptomatic patients are already infected so I don't understand your comment.

Don't worry it's just a Thai bashing post every country has these field hospitals quite common really.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, welshguy said:

I think I could just about! "do"! the A.S.Q. (a balcony would be really really good I reckon?)   No way would I fancy going into one of these "wards" or whatever they are called though!

I also wouldnt have 100% confidence in a thai covid test result.

The photo shown is the field hospital set up at Samut sakorn market. I do share your concerns about staying there though. Those are not beds, but wooden benches with the thinnest of mattresses (and I use that word matress in the most liberal sense) with a pillow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Don't worry it's just a Thai bashing post every country has these field hospitals quite common really.

No Thai bashing, yes there are field hospitals like this elsewhere, but the beds are secured with there own protective barriers.  Silly response by you really when all it is doing is creating a dormitory style environment.  You may not agree, but it is.  The idea of isolation is to keep people away from each other whether asymptomatic or symptomatic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

The photo shown is the field hospital set up at Samut sakorn market. I do share your concerns about staying there though. Those are not beds, but wooden benches with the thinnest of mattresses (and I use that word matress in the most liberal sense) with a pillow. 

But i think ( would like to hope ) that with private medical care that farangs would get put in a better facility?

32 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

it is only going to get much worse and sadly I do not think the Thai government is ready for it. Also late getting any vaccines ordered.

I think it will a going to get worse, but I do think you will feel find that Thailand will be far better prepared than most think. Though not without problems and bumps in the road. The vast majority will follow government advice as many people have had the fear of God put into them over this virus through local media 

We will all be okay and we will all get through this. Stay safe, wear mask and stay home as much as possible..and use the time to plan your next big adventure...or learn Thai as there are many online courses available now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Non symptomatic and many recover without developing any other symptoms or becoming sick.  However if you put them in with someone who is symptomatic then you are increasing the viral load as it moves through the room.  How does that sound to you.  If you were young and healthy would you want to continue to be exposed to someone hacking and coughing and who might be feverish.  If you want isolation then everyone should have there own secure cube where they are not exposed to others.

Viral load is measured in blood levels. If a person who has a viral infection detected in the blood, symptomatic or  not, they are post incubation and their immune  response  is underway. The presence of an original virus source is irrelevant at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No Thai bashing, yes there are field hospitals like this elsewhere, but the beds are secured with there own protective barriers.  Silly response by you really when all it is doing is creating a dormitory style environment.  You may not agree, but it is.  The idea of isolation is to keep people away from each other whether asymptomatic or symptomatic.

Many of these hospitals I've seen do not have protective barriers.  Just Google this and you'll see.

https://emergencyuk.org/2020/04/first-patients-admitted-to-bergamo-field-hospital/

IMG-20200407-WA0004.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welshguy said:

Thats what I was getting at.

Surely if you are tested positive , but show no symptoms...its better/safer to self isolate at home.....rather than in a "ward" or whatever, with dozens or more of other people who have tested positive?

Ive always said NO WAY!! would I do the "quarantine for 15 days at my expense!" in a Thai hotel....

But!!  I was thinking just before Christmas, the weather here is cold cold cold! Cant go anywhere so I was "considering" doing the A.S.Q.     I think I will wait a week or so and see how it goes!

For the record....I had covid in September  was rough for a few weeks   flu like symptoms headache and totally knackered!

A huge amount probably the vast majority of Thais simply do not have a set up which allows them to effectively isolate at home and thats asides from economic/education about the disease. Many live in single or 2 room properties with multiple family members and generations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

A huge amount probably the vast majority of Thais simply do not have a set up which allows them to effectively isolate at home and thats asides from economic/education about the disease. Many live in single or 2 room properties with multiple family members and generations.

We have a relative who's in isolation.  And because she tested positive, all those living with her are now in isolation also.  Being looked over by neighbors and volunteers who check on the at least once a day.  They are quite strict about this in the small villages.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

We have a relative who's in isolation.  And because she tested positive, all those living with her are now in isolation also.  Being looked over by neighbors and volunteers who check on the at least once a day.  They are quite strict about this in the small villages.

Yes at the moment it can be done. Like you i also know from my partners village the local phuyai baan is very strict on putting any returnees in quarantine. In their village at least its been taken very seriously and residents and children working in the cities are happy to either not return or do the quaratine. 

However in and around big cities if it really takes off i struggle to see how they could have the manpower, resources to continue to hosptilize/isolate whole families.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

What about the condo pools? closed or what?

• Sad 1

The open hospital isolation is what Malaysia has been using since their outbreak in August/September. It is designed to control spread to other family members/workers  that would come from home isolation.

In recent weeks however the hospitals have reached capacity and people who test positive are told to remain home until an ambulance comes to pick them up. This can be several days from some media reports.

I assume Thai testing will be similar to Malaysian testing. Lots of targetted testing of worker hostels, prisons etc. No real message to the community at large to get tested.

Malaysia had another lockdown in October/November. It didn't work as the numbers were higher at the end than when it started. Now everything is pretty well open and hoping for the best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welshguy said:

Genuine question.

If   a Thai is tested positive....Must they then go to one of these "hospital beds" ......to be ...isolated? I mean , those who have tested positive, but have no symptoms at all?  Or do they isolate at home...for the isolation period?

I was talking online today, with a Thai friend, They went for a covid test today...said they will get the results in 4-5 days?!!! If they wanted  the result back in 24 hours, it would cost them 3,800 baht?

I very much doubt many many ordinary Thais can afford to pay the 3,800 baht......very tricky times for Thailand ...

I appreciate  it probably costs more , to get a faster test result turnaround...but 4-5 days.........wow thats a long time.....They could possibly infect many other people in that time.....(if they self isolate straight after taking test...as In U.K. etc...then fine   no worries.)  I somehow doubt though, the ordinary Thai can afford to self isolate? No money no food etc?

Hard times ahead, I really hope its not too serious, and they can get on top of it.

Re Test costs, I was told yesterday by a Bkk government hospital , for Thais from a dangerous area ie, high number of cases, test cost is free, Thais from a non dangerous area cost is 2600 (Huh?). Foreigners 2600 across the board .Didn't ask time frame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

The more you breathe the virus in the more ill you get due to the increased viral load due to breathing it in constantly.

Putting them all together in the same room will only make things much worse and will hinder their recovery.

That was one of the reasons the second wave of Spanish flu went so badly. Crowded conditions and a bad mutation.

OK the knowledge on viruses was limited at the time and treatment was nothing like today, but.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Very old fashioned looking beds, they would be difficult to position patients in, especially those who need to be nursed in more upright positions for breathing, really difficult for nursing staff to deliver good quality care in

They are classic 'flat pack' field hospital beds, which is essentially what this set up is. These units will be used for mild cases only. Patients with more challenging symptoms would be transferred to a regular hospital.

• Thanks 1