British man lucky to survive after fire destroys Jomtien apartment

rooster59

British man lucky to survive after fire destroys Jomtien apartment

fire.JPG

Image: Siamchon News

A British man had a lucky but daring escape from a fire which broke out in his sixth floor apartment on Friday afternoon.

John Culling, 50, climbed down from his balcony to the apartment below after fire quickly spread through his apartment blocking access to his front door.

Miraculously, Mr Culling sustained only minor injuries.

Police and fire crews were called to the Jomtien apartment block just after 4pm on Saturday. Mr Culling told officers how he was standing on the balcony talking on the phone when he saw  smoke coming from inside the apartment.

134365430_1214932502237145_8923833564995662162_n.jpg

As he went inside, the fire had already taken hold and his only escape route was to climb over the side of the balcony.

Fire crews took more than 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. Mr Culling’s apartment suffered extensive damage.

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the fire.

135150270_1214932515570477_8599441544264310543_n.jpg

Source: Siamchon News 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-02

• Like 1

Miraculous he was 50 & able to climb down one floor. Would he have been safer remaining on his own balcony till the blaze was under control?  Why did it take 30 minutes to put out a blaze in a 40 square metre condo?  Who was he phoning so long?  So many questions; so few answers.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

A British man had a lucky but daring escape from a fire which broke out in his sixth floor apartment on Friday afternoon.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Police and fire crews were called to the Jomtien apartment block just after 4pm on Saturday.

I wonder why it took so long to call the Fire Brigade! ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Lucky he had insurance

How do you know he did? (I can't see any mention (other than the "investigation") in the article unless I am even more challenged then I thought........)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Lucky the fire brigade answered the phone

You have a point there.

I remember in my early days in Pattaya, must be about 25 years ago now, a bar in walking street on fire.

A fire engine arrives and has ONE fireman on it. When asked why only him, he answers that the others were watching the world cup and would arrive soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I was walking past as this happened, the response was actually really quick the fire extinguished in minutes. There is no way the guy could have stayed on the balcony, fire had already blown out the bedroom windows (LHS), lots of smoke, I was on the ground looking up and could feel the heat

Thanks for clearing that up.

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

No fire detection system? Why no smoke detector? And obviously no sprinkler.

Why don't people  have smoke detector they can buy and put in if building does not have.

I was thinking the same no smoke alarms I've got them in all my properties, <deleted> they are cheap enough to buy, in my rental properties it's good way to stop people smoking I always make them aware of them, I have one condo and the smoke alarms are wired to the main security room and I warn the guest about them, set that off through smoking 2000 Baht fine

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was thinking the same no smoke alarms I've got them in all my properties, <deleted> they are cheap enough to buy, in my rental properties it's good way to stop people smoking I always make them aware of them, I have one condo and the smoke alarms are wired to the main security room and I warn the guest about them, set that off through smoking 2000 Baht fine

Hopefully toast in the toaster doesn't set them off, it often does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Hopefully toast in the toaster doesn't set them off, it often does. 

Thats acceptable but there is extractors in the kitchen areas, it's murder trying to stop people smoking indoors,