Plants die from tap water

On 1/2/2021 at 8:10 AM, condohope said:

My plants on my terrace need about 60 liters per week. When I water them from tap within 6 to 12 hours leaves fall off or turn brown. I have a container outside in the sun for the water so any chemials can evaporate and do not harm my plants which have an extra ventilated pot to shield them from the heat of the sun. For some orchids I have to use drinking water otherwise they do not grow well. What can I do? Is it maybe the soil poisened with anything? In the condo I live there are about 120 units but only 20 used now. Water is from the city in Jomtien.Thank you for inspirations.

What kind of plants do you have? What happens if you use rainwater and water them with the same amount of water? In regards to the orchids, they will develop root rot fairly quickly if they’re overwatered/too damp for prolonged periods of time. After I’ve switched to special orchid pots that have slits all around the sides the root rot problem disappeared. Also, if they don’t get enough water their leaves will develop grooves/wrinkles and then turn yellow and fall off. If you catch them in the wrinkly phase these leaves can recover if you water the orchid immediately and then adjust the watering cycle accordingly. If they get prolonged direct sunlight they will get brown leaves and then die. Morning sun from the east isn’t a problem, but southern and western exposure will kill them since they’re epiphytes who live in tree crowns where the leaves of the tree will protect them.

I’m assuming that the tap water is heavily chlorinated and that that might be the culprit. You could try water treatments that are used for aquariums to get rid of the chlorine and all the other stuff. You can find that at any fish/aquarium store.

Here is a link to the orchid pots: https://www.orchitop.de/en/

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Be careful not to get any of the water on the leaves. If the water is slightly mineralised (or salty) the foliage may brown off from direct contact even if the water is still acceptable for the roots. You can normally tell if the water is too mineralised because it will taste like a very slight 'burst' in the mouth (almost like a very light burst of bubbles). Of course, if you can taste any salt it is far too mineralised/salty for plants or humans.

I assume you have applied a little fertiliser to one or two plants to see if this help. Too much fertilizer is no good if the soil structure has been degraded through slightly salty/mineralised water.

It is the dry season now so many plants will shed their leaves no matter how much water you give them.

You could try re-potting one or two plants to see if this helps in the medium term.

we should never water the leaves even in the evening when no sun ?

18 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

start urinating on them regularly (I'm not joking)

Also, MrMr has the right advice - check your pH - you can get a digital pH tester online cheap or just use the test strips.

That's what i do to my lemon trees.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My attitude to plants and gardening in general is survive. If you don't, less for me to do and you did not deserve to live anyway.

Yup. When I read that Prince Charles talks to plants to encourage them, I agreed. I say "GROW, you b***ers, or it's the compost for you".

It worked, for me at least if not for the plants.

I had about 30 orchids for years, all hunky dory and pleasant. Then a few years ago our rain water tank ran out of water and we had to use water supplied from a cistern truck (we have a dodgy water supply at the best of times). The orchids died, every one, inside of 6 months.

12 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

we should never water the leaves even in the evening when no sun ?

Don't water the leaves unless the water is rain water quality. A hosing to get rid of the dust every week or so won't matter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why is that so?

It is a fact that in cooler times of the year morning sun is preferable as it will warm up the soil and get things moving generally. 

Afternoon sun doesn't of itself damage the plant but will mean that watered plants may remain waterlogged all day. 

Some plants such as tomatoes resent having moist leaves all day and will develop fungal diseases. However these things are likely to be more important in temperate zones, in Thailand to a limited degree around this time of the year.

5 hours ago, cooked said:

It is a fact that in cooler times of the year morning sun is preferable as it will warm up the soil and get things moving generally. 

Afternoon sun doesn't of itself damage the plant but will mean that watered plants may remain waterlogged all day. 

Some plants such as tomatoes resent having moist leaves all day and will develop fungal diseases. However these things are likely to be more important in temperate zones, in Thailand to a limited degree around this time of the year.

I have a grapevine tree that creeps all over my outside metal fence. I notice that some leaves are brown while others on the same plant are green.  I water the root everyday.

Do you know what's the reason for the brown withered leaves?

Edited by EricTh