90 day stupid question.

My 90 day report expires on Dec 26. Like an idiot I forgot what with the holidays and all. 

I know one gets a 7 day cushion... so as 26 & 27 was a weekend  and December 31 through January 3 was the 4 day national holiday... an insight to think that if I do the report BY  January 7 I comply with that 7 day  cushion? 

Please let me know. First time in 9 years I forgot! Getting old the mind skips a beat...5555

1 hour ago, timendres said:

The fine is actually up to the IO. It can be up to 5,000 baht, but I have never experienced any number other than 2,000 (twice in ten years). Plus, half of one page in your passport for the stamp. You may get lucky if you are super polite, but it is not likely. Excuses are rarely accepted. In my first case, it was the middle of the "100 year flood" back in 2011, which prevented any taxi from getting to Chaeng Wattana. When I finally discovered I could go to Silom, I pointed out to the IO that I was only 2 days late, and it was because of a 100 year flood. The IO laughed at me, and said: "You have a choice. Pay the 2,000 baht fine, or leave Thailand". I paid.

Yes but 26 and 27bwas a weekend so IO was closed and also closed between 31 and 3red... natuonal holiday play a weekend. So ... exactly why I should be fines when the 4 through 7 are still within the 7 day  grace period as posted in government site. 2000 no big deal

21 hours ago, timendres said:

The fine is actually up to the IO. It can be up to 5,000 baht, but I have never experienced any number other than 2,000 (twice in ten years). Plus, half of one page in your passport for the stamp. You may get lucky if you are super polite, but it is not likely. Excuses are rarely accepted. In my first case, it was the middle of the "100 year flood" back in 2011, which prevented any taxi from getting to Chaeng Wattana. When I finally discovered I could go to Silom, I pointed out to the IO that I was only 2 days late, and it was because of a 100 year flood. The IO laughed at me, and said: "You have a choice. Pay the 2,000 baht fine, or leave Thailand". I paid.

Where is the office on Silom? I need to go on Tuesday ????

1 minute ago, BobinBKK said:

Where is the office on Silom? I need to go on Tuesday ????

To be honest, I cannot remember exactly. It was a motocy ride from MRT Silom. That said, I am not sure you can do your 90 day there now. I believe at the time it was an "emergency" measure due to Chaeng Wattana being so inaccessible.

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

To be honest, I cannot remember exactly. It was a motocy ride from MRT Silom. That said, I am not sure you can do your 90 day there now. I believe at the time it was an "emergency" measure due to Chaeng Wattana being so inaccessible.

Ok understood thank you

On 1/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, timendres said:

While I agree that most IOs are polite enough, there are a few with bad attitudes.

• Like 1

I used to use the online system, but the local office never responded and I ended up having to go there anyway. Most recently I tried again with online and it was sorted within an hour ! so it seems the online reporting, or atkleast my office, has got its act together and I will use that system again in future.

I also agree though that for long Term stayers like many here, it shouldnt be necessary and seems like work for the sake of it, power trip for some, in my observation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Nice of them to put it in the form of a semi-threat.  Especially since you probably weren't even attempting to refuse the fine.

I was most definitely not refusing to pay the fine. But I was politely fishing for a discount. When I said "2,000 is a little expensive", the IO turned to another and said, in Thai, "The farang thinks 2,000 is expensive", and they both had a good laugh. That is when I knew there would be no discount.

• Like 2

I would put 2,000 baht in my pocket and then go to immigration and be as polite and friendly as possible and see what happens.  Don't  point out that you are late. I did that when they "cracked down" on the TM30 and I had been in and out of the country several times.  Handed them my passport with the new form, smiled, polite and no problem.   Maybe they will give you some slack, especially if it is an office you go to every 90 days and they recognize you.  It's worth a shot.  

• Like 1

Paid the fine of 2000. The IOs were apologetic and said it was stupid as offices were closed for the holiday and that 7 day "pease" (their word?) should not include weekends and/or holidays. After 9 years here.... finally logic appears... albeit I still had to pay the minimum fine. But I am not complaining.

Now... to put the next one in my phone's calendar and set a very annoying ringtone to it.

Edited by iamariva1957
Typos

On 1/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, timendres said:

I know someone who walked for several hours from way up the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayak road to CW to do his 90 day report. He was lucky that after walking a long way a car stopped and offered him a lift. Nice Thai couple who insisted on taking him all the way to CW and wouldn't take anything for it. He said he told the IO he'd walked nearly all the way and she said "So what? Her house was flooded but she still came to work"!

He had to walk all the way home and arrived at some very late hour.

Rules are the rules here; unless they get officially suspended or changed.