Thailand reports 315 new COVID-19 cases

rooster59

28 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Come on.  Just saying that since they don't test, they don't really know how many are infected.  They readily admit this themselves.

Countries in the west are testing way more than what's done here.  Wonder why? 

It's called the positivity rate.  Gives you a better idea of what's really going on...

no you come on. they test a lot in the west because, derr, they have a lot of people with symptoms. MILLIONS.

thailand has been covid free for 6 months! you can't just start testing whole villages or sois or moo bahns or whatever when there is no infection or track from. this isn't china! (well yet anyway).

and when they do find a case? well, how many people did they test when that dj got it on khao san? 3000? all negative. and recently they tested a huge percentage of the migrants on phuket (with no justification i might add) all negative.

i'd be the first to line up and be tested if there was a chance i had it or a track to, but i sure as <deleted> wouldn't if 50 tessaban turned up at the bottom of my soi and demanded tests from all of us with no justification.

you think the thais would be any more passive?

would anybody?

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rabas said:

The number they publish is the confirmed infection rate, which is new infections per day. As long as that number is rising, which it is, the pandemic is growing.

I think you mean R0 (the R number).  R0 does not depend on how many infections a country already has.  It measures how many new infections one case can create.  Masks, closings, and travel bans help to reduce R.

Yeah thanks for correcting that.

More pointless half statistics that will put fear into people.

Pointless because without the corresponding number of people tested, against the number found to be carrying Covid antibodies, each day, PLUS details of which provinces were tested, we DON'T KNOW if it is spreading, or if it is increasing.

Example (figures made up)

Monday 2,000 people tested, 5 positive

Tuesday 6,000 people tested, 15 positive

Wednesday 12,000 people tested, 30 positive

So the authorities only give the media the scary half stats that 'cases are more than doubling every day'! Do you see how absurd this is?

And we are not told where the tests took place.

Edited by Antonymous

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

The previous alcohol ban was for Songkran to stop people traveling and partying. You should have plenty of time to stock up before then. 

No. The last alcohol ban was around the time of the curfew. It was after songkran

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

With UK numbers like those no wonder Thailand doesn't want to test that much.

This would be funny if it wasn't also true!

Of the cases found recently we are also not told if they had any symptoms, or how severe they were.

All we know is that ONE person has died and that she had diabetes. It is highly likely that someone with diabetes might have died just as easily from flu!

Here's what the CDC say about flu and diabetes:

"People with diabetes (type 1, type 2, or gestational), even when well-managed, are at high risk of serious flu complications, which can result in hospitalization and sometimes even death. Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections and ear infections are examples of flu-related complications. In recent seasons, about 30 percent of adult flu hospitalizations reported to CDC have had diabetes."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/diabetes.htm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

No it isn't a big number. On occasions, the UK has been recording daily increases of 35,000 plus. Now that is a big number.

Tests per day UK compared to Thailand.

IF YOU DONT TEST YOU DONT FIND.       

TESTS.jpg.c9cb93690d35523fe30dca0b0d78fd9b.jpg

• Like 2

"315 is a big number. Sadly, It will continue to rise..."

Hahaha....oh very big number! Too big! 

Oh my god....yes, it's 0.00045% of the population of Thailand, thereabouts. And that's just ONE DAY! What shall we do?

What about the total for the whole darn time? 

7,694 "cases" (positive tests included, not necessarily sick people) is about 0.01% of the total population of Thailand!

YIKES!!!!! Run for the hills! The spikes are coming....this is serious, no joking matter. We need to do something...er, well, let's do what everyone else is doing...how about following California? That seems to be working, right? Those Americans are smarty pants geniuses; they'll know the right thing to do. FOLLOW THE SCIENCE!

And I read that you will STILL have to wear a highly protective paper mask even AFTER being vaccinated (to follow the SCIENCE, and PROTECT against the deadly-and-spreading-like-wildfire C-O-V-I-D (dare not say its name out loud). 

• Haha 1

Just now, bluesofa said:

I keep reading about Thai doctors telling the general population to stop consuming so much sugar in their diet, as the number of diabetics is increasing alarmingly.

We all know how much sugar is added to Thai food as they do like the sweet taste.

My friend has two members of his wife's family who have fairly recently become diabetics in their forties.

Plus the fact they are getting less exercise now than they used to (not as much manual work as there was)

Sugar is a poison to humans.

Cause of many diseases.  Sugar feeds cancer.

You dont need to eat any sugar.  

However, its addictive, and food manufactures worked this out ages ago.........hence the pumping of everything with loads of sugar.

11 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Sugar is a poison to humans.

Cause of many diseases.  Sugar feeds cancer.

You dont need to eat any sugar.  

However, its addictive, and food manufactures worked this out ages ago.........hence the pumping of everything with loads of sugar.

Agree absolutely on that. I'd recommend the book 'Salt Sugar Fat' by Michael Moss.

"a breathtaking feat of reporting. Michael Moss was able to get executives of the world's largest food companies to admit that they have only one job—to maximize sales and profits—and to reveal how they deliberately entice customers by stuffing their products with salt, sugar, and fat."

13 minutes ago, markcm19 said:

the virus is so mild that most people won't notice they have it , there is not a major testing campaign I know of, how are they finding these infections?

They are appearing out of thin air. Did you not pay attention to the clusters and all of the new testing they are doing now.  Maybe your post was sarcasm but who could tell. Yes I am being sarcastic. Test and ye shall find..  

5 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Watching events unfold in Thailand is like watching a car crash in slow motion, unfortunately the brakes went on too late, the wheels are starting to screech and now we are watching seconds before the unavoidable impact

Maybe still a chance to pull out of it, especially in the north and northeast. Go full lockdown. At this stage at least people are traveling mainly to the infected zone, Bangkok, and not out, like they were last week. So once they're back in, lock things down and hope not too much damage was done outside of Bangkok and the other red alert provinces.

3 hours ago, taninthai said:

, Thailand had tested 1.2 million since the start....Uk 54 million since the start

Do you have a source for the Thailand figures?

Would really like to know what the daily test numbers are now and where, to put some perspective on the daily positive figures.

Sure this information is still elusive.

This enormous increase that just got outa hand is directly related to the Government Officers on the job corrupt

actions coupled with laziness.

A week from now with all the provincial travel with folks returning yesterday & today the mushroom will  become overwhelming