British nationals could be barred from entering Thailand under new proposals

webfact

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You are still not listening.  The family in question were found to have the virus during quarantine - thus Thailand's measures have worked in keeping this new strain of the virus out.  People travelling from the UK will have had 3 negative PCR tests before they travelled - again, what is the point in quarantine if you are then going to impose even stricter bans (if that's what they do) on people from some nations?

Thailand, countries all over this planet, et all, are not making decisions based on this silly single case listed in an independent news story.  If you are interested in splitting hairs, that is up to you.  You need to hook another fish.  And I do hope that if you do, somehow, somewhere, the inhumanity of imposing a travel ban and your resultant frustration can be projected on that fish, or rather person posting rather than acceptance that Thailand may ban british nationals and not someone on a keyboard far far away.

So in a way, you are not listening.  

You win.  In reality, I really don't care because you are talking about the mud puddle, I"m talking about the ocean. 

Have a good evening or day wherever you are.  

Here is a possible phone call...

"hello, bloke.  you can pay how much?"

"Listen, I must go to Pattaya and I'll get 100 more tattoos and drink all the beer you have!!!"

"No, tattoos are not that expensive and buying beer won't help our economy."

"OK, I"ll do 1,000 short times in one week!!!"

"No.  But I'll sell you a new condo in the middle of a swamp (lake) for only 11 million baht and you will get a free 90 day stamp, after your 200k quarantine!"

"Can I go to Pattaya?"

"of course"

"OK, take my CC number....it's.... "

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

it's about travellers from the UK, not about british nationals.

probably they would also barr arrivals from  south africa and few other countries, where this mutation is already present.

British nationals could be barred from entering Thailand under new proposals from the Ministry of Public Health.

Are you sure? What's the difference between a traveler from the UK and a British national?

There's no difference ,right? 

They didn't mention people who are in Transit in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Thailand, countries all over this planet, et all, are not making decisions based on this silly single case listed in an independent news story.  If you are interested in splitting hairs, that is up to you.  

Thailand has not made the decision yet but if they do, it will have been very much triggered by the case in the OP.  I am not splitting any hairs and I'm not trying to hook you - I have simply questioned your facts and statements.  I notice though, that you repeatedly refuse to answer my question - what's the point in quarantine? You also make comments about the burden on healthcare and avoid my question about you being aware of the insurance requirements. You appear somewhat 'selective' in your answers.

So, you make rash comments but refuse to either back them up or acknowledge you are wrong when brought up on them.

Edited by KhaoYai

7 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

British nationals could be barred from entering Thailand under new proposals from the Ministry of Public Health.

Are you sure? What's the difference between a traveler from the UK and a British national?

They didn't mention people who are in Transit in the UK. 

The OP is a little confusing - the title suggests only British Nationals but in the article the statement is made that the CCSA is to be asked to ban arrivals from the UK.  That is an entirely different scenario as it would include Thai's repatriating.

Hopefully things will become clear when a decision is made.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Fit to fly certificate is a useless piece of paper,  AFAIK no other country requires this, only Thailand. Fit to fly means basically you don't have temperature and can stand on your feet.

RT-PCR tests are a different story.

I fully agree. But Thais are not required to do the covid tests (within the 72 hours of travel) that non-Thais have as a requirement to fly there. Hence, my wondering if these, or at least some of the family, were Dual-nationals?

21 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

I work on my condo's committee. I sure wish it was just a cliche...

I’m guessing you are an Aussie with a name like Bruce. 

There you go, another Cliche you can add to your collection 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, moobie said:

I fully agree. But Thais are not required to do the covid tests (within the 72 hours of travel) that non-Thais have as a requirement to fly there. Hence, my wondering if these, or at least some of the family, were Dual-nationals?

RT-PCR tests 72 hours prior to departure are also redundant IMO.

1 hour ago, PAULPACKAGE said:

What if, you have had the covid vaccine, fit to fly letter, booked flight, lived in thailand 8years, got a house on long lease, booked quarentine hotel, allready got your retirement visa on your passport, and clear covid tests, what more can you prove that ya OK and just want to be back in your home after only the first visit to UK in 3years?? 

Your collateral damage. Nobody said it was fair

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Except without Brits there would be a whole lot less complaining going on... ????

Without Brits there would be a whole lot less long-stay Westerners pumping money into struggling towns. 

3 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Wrong, I'm a British National but I haven't set foot inside Europe for about 10 years now.

Should I be kept out ? See the difference?

I live in Thailand but the same principle would apply to any other British National who lives in China, Japan, Singapore, etc.

There are millions of us who live in every country of the world.

• Like 2

I'm guessing a ban on arrivals from the UK would entail prohibiting people who have been in the UK in the last x days. Assuming it's a reasonable amount of time (e.g. 2 weeks), I wonder if it would be possible to attain a CoE in a country that hasn't yet banned UK arrivals and travel onward from there.  

This Guy needs to get his facts correct, this new strain originated in South Africa, and was brought to the UK by a traveller, also this new strain has been found in lots of other Countries... 

So close all the borders, and ban all countries from entering Thailand. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

This is despite the mandatory quarantine requirements in place for any entering Thailand. 

When there is fear rationale goes out the window. Definitely the reason for this knee jerk reaction IMO.  

• Like 1

I think the way the wind is blowing, entry to the UK may become a little more complex soon, maybe even by February.  ????

Mis-- matched vaccination calendars, may well also become an issue.

Great that we have the science in the UK to identify these different strands!

I doubt that the virus knows the nationality of its host ????. If they are adopting this line of thought, I presume there is now effective inter-province travel bans in place?

They need to get a shorter isolation period set up, before and after flights, Vaccines, flow tests etc there will soon the tools around to get things moving  with effective filters I hope ...

Keep turning the oil supply to an idling  engine, on and off randomly, and you will  just  end up with a pile of scrap. 

the only reason this mutation was discovered, is because the U.K. has advanced

sceintists who conduct serious tests for any new kind of virus.

if they would just let it go, including more relaxed on the testing, than

this whole mutation crisis would never even happan, and within few weeks

the whole U.K.  would be vaccinated and it would all be over.

but no, they have to check and investigate anything that moves, those british, and

not here is the result - TRAVEL BAN TO THAILAND !!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

They should never have opened the doors in the first place.

British nationals are not to blame,

the incompetent set of clowns running the country are! 

Er - they seem to be doing a better job than Boris, although I do realize i am setting a pretty low bar.

• Confused 2

Have to keep tracking the virus so that they can tweek the vaccine if required. Concern currently that such a slight  tweek may be required for  the S.A variation....It's developed two shoulders instead of one in the "Kent" version apparently. 

40 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the only reason this mutation was discovered, is because the U.K. has advanced

sceintists who conduct serious tests for any new kind of virus.

if they would just let it go, including more relaxed on the testing, than

this whole mutation crisis would never even happan, and within few weeks

the whole U.K.  would be vaccinated and it would all be over.

but no, they have to check and investigate anything that moves, those british, and

not here is the result - TRAVEL BAN TO THAILAND !!

Whole UK vaccinated in a few weeks?

Anyway, I applaud how diligent they are about the investigation and discovery of this variant.

So, what is your point?  The UK now deserves a free pass to Thailand?  Last I checked more then 40 countries have already banned travel from the UK.

Maybe the brilliant scientists need to conduct further investigation into this UK variant as publically they are announcing little is known about it, other than it is must more contagious then the original virus.  Sadly, now stating up to 70% more contagious. 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

If S.C. is correct about Astra Zeneca having a production unit in Thailand why have the Thai Idiots incharge ordered 2 mil doses from their friends next door, you know the ones who gave the VIRUS freely to the Free World.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

Not sure why you blame the chinese for the virus its not on purpose, otherwise one could blame the Brits for the new version. A virus just appears and a virus just mutates. Not done on purpose. If you want to play blame game then the Brit strain is the fault of the Brits (not true IMHO)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it's amazing really, the UK numbers right now (~57 to 58k per day) match the French numbers from November 2020.

Why is is that France had such a massive spike in new infections 1 month before Kent in the UK had an outbreak of the new 'UK Variant' of the virus?

What's the place in the UK which is most connected to France? Where did the new strain originate?

Nice how you try to shift blame to the French, if their virus had mutated we would have heard it. So we can only say its abundant in the UK either it originated there or spread super fast because of the irresponsible people there (the same the world over)

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Er - they seem to be doing a better job than Boris, although I do realize i am setting a pretty low bar.

Johnson has just followed his Scottish nemesis into lockdown. I bet that's really boiling his <deleted> right now.

But i digress...

On 1/4/2021 at 8:17 AM, A Los for words said:

So despite a clear COVID Fit to Fly test, insurance and 15 days ASQ, Brits won't be allowed to come in. What if they agree to buy a condo?

And what about the other countries that have now identified cases of the Covid variant?

WHO remarked that it was discovered in the UK because the UK has stringent tests.

Other countries who check and report more diligently have also reported cases. 

Another example of a knee jerk panic extreme reaction. 

• Thanks 1