Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

are COVID patients not in a special ward so they don't infect others in the first place ?

And the staff who are treating them? 

And the wards that were treating others but have now to be set up to treat covid?

And what happens when ALL your wards are trating covid patients?

3 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

are the hospitals full of sick people or people forced to be in a hospital and getting TYLENOL as there is no REAL treatment, unless you "have" to put on a ventilator and in case you don't know, most of those people DIE after being put on a ventilator, forced oxygen for a long time destroys, ahum, the lungs ...

Some hospitals are, indeed, full. 

Many put on ventilators will, indeed, die.  Are you suggesting that once someone is so ill we do NOT put them on a ventilator?

PH

27 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Not sure your point. 

Even if the origin of the virus is China's "fault", please educate me on how South America, Africa, South East Asia should suffer because of the greed of the West.

PH

First you explain why the West has a duty of care over those countries and why they should not make profits from their capital expenditure? 

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

First you explain why the West has a duty of care over those countries and why they should not make profits from their capital expenditure? 

This exchange was nothing (till now) about profits, but about the West ordering more doses than they can administer so that there are less available for the rest of the World.  By all means make sure you are first in the queue. 

But to order (and then store until you can use) when there are others who can use now is selfish to the extreme.  More and more vaccine is being produced, and production capacity is increasing.  Taking enough to make sure you can maintain your vaccination programme to the max, fine. 

But you seem to be comfortable with the West hoarding excess vaccine.  I am not.

PH

Edited by Phulublub

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I believe any countries that do not have a full democratic system and abuse human rights should not be allowed to purchase the vaccine either.

The countries that invested the capital required to produce the vaccine should be entitled to do as they wish with the vaccine. If storing it is seen as necessary to protect their own interests then that is fine by me. 

Countries that are profligate with capital expenditure and do not invest in health and pharmaceutical research and production need to sort themselves out, not the responsibility of the West I am afraid.

Who invested the capital? Countries?  Or Companies?  Someone commented a short while ago, while defending Pfizer and Moderna that they are "multi-national.

Are you to be the arbiter of which countries have a full democratic system (mightn rule out the US)?  Which are profligate?  Which do not invest?  If not you, then who?

PH

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

So from what I'm reading the first 200,000 of the Chinese full untested vaccine will be given to the migrants workers and low income Thais of course for free.???? starting next month.

Guess they are saving the good stuff for ?

I guess you need to find better sources than stormfront and parler then.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

By Chayut Setboonsarng and Patpicha Tanakasempipat

2021-01-05T092125Z_1_LYNXMPEH040FG_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-VACCINE.JPG

Chief nurse nurse Sam Foster holds a vial of the Oxford University/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford, Britain January 4, 2021. Steve Parsons/Pool via REUTERS

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's prime minister said on Tuesday his country had ordered an additional 35 million doses of the AstraZeneca Plc COVID-19 vaccine, bringing its total vaccine pipeline to 63 million doses.

Thailand has also ordered 2 million doses from China's Sinovac Biotech and expects the delivery of 200,000 doses next month.

"There is a budget of 1.22 billion baht ($40.7 million) for procurement of the 2 million doses," he said, adding 1.8 million doses will be delivered by April.

Sino Biopharmaceutical Ltd., a unit of Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group, invested $515 million in Sinovac in December.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-05

Which developed countries are preparing to vaccinate using the Chinese vaccine ?

4 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Which developed countries are preparing to vaccinate using the Chinese vaccine ?

Not a lot but probably not for the reasons you think.  From what I have read they are expensive.  Probably because they are trying to price gouge unlike the AZ vaccine which is being sold at cost. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

When can we expat expect to be vaccinated?

Depends how much you want to pay I expect..............a bit like covid-19 testing now being readily available at a price from some hospitals with a quick turn around time on the results.

16 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Depends how much you want to pay I expect..............a bit like covid-19 testing now being readily available at a price from some hospitals with a quick turn around time on the results.

I'm guessing you will be able to get one of the chinese vaccines soon if you are willing to cough up maybe 1500-2000b a shot for it.  If you want the AZ vaccine for maybe 200-500b a shot you will probably have to wait several more months.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Even if the origin of the virus is China's "fault", please educate me on how South America, Africa, South East Asia should suffer because of the greed of the West.

Because most of those have thrown in with Belt and Road. They can get their vaccine from Xi and China.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

2021-01-05T092125Z_1_LYNXMPEH040FG_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-VACCINE.JPG

Thailand has also ordered 2 million doses from China's Sinovac Biotech and expects the delivery of 200,000 doses next month.

The first delivery of the Sinovac vaccine will be administered among field workers in highly controlled areas like Samut Sakhon and Rayong, and vulnerable groups, government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said, indicating the main areas where there have been clusters in the recent outbreak.

"There is a budget of 1.22 billion baht ($40.7 million) for procurement of the 2 million doses," he said, adding 1.8 million doses will be delivered by April.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-05

USD40,700,000 for Sinovac vaccine, thats over USD20 per dose to be used on field workers...

Anyone else think most of this money has already been divvied-up between Thai & Chinese officials

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

Ah, it is tied in with Thailand's space program, the sacred cow said the vaccine will need some cheese from the moon....

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Perhaps you should preface "big parma" with "US". 

The problem is that the posters are also prefaced by “US”, and hence (it may be genetic:-)have no concept of any person or any organisation not existing purely to make money!

1 hour ago, Wullie Mercer said:

These figures appear to change daily? When can we expat expect to be vaccinated?

I asked Bangkok Pattaya Hospital this week.  Reply in full;

"

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

In response to your inquiry about vaccination, please be informed that it is unavailable at BPH at this time. 

Also, the Thai government has already placed their order for COVID-19 vaccine but it may not yet be available in Thailand for several months until the last quarter of 2021.  The social criteria is unknown at the moment, and has to be planned and decided once it is commercially available here.

Should there be any updates, the Thai Government will provide more details accordingly.

If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

"

1 hour ago, Time to grow said:

I am not going to play into your tit for tat bait, nor am I going to explain how capitalism works for you. If you can't see the obvious, that's your problem.

It's you that can't see the obvious, no matter what evidence ( ie links ) or quotes are provided you continue to claim that OU/AZ are only in it for the financial reward. Pathetic.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

There not suffering as such. There's no limit  on the amount of vaccine. being made . It's time making it.putting it in capsule ,transporting it. The West gets preference as it's near to the source of supply.

Simply not true. Most of the development is done in the West. However, there are manufacturing plants all over the world, but mostly in the East.

1 hour ago, Alan Pattaya said:

Wonder if and when vaccine will be available for farangs 

Most, if not all countries, will probably prioritize it’s own citizens first. If you want the shot first, you should probably get it in your home country. 

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

half way there; assuming the usual thai supply chain, in this case the end point being a jab of actually effective vaccine 

Effectiveness .

To be effective, it works in injunction with one's body immune system , so please have  one's body immune system checked.. Drink mineral water.

Rain water.Water from the water machine contain no vitamins.. Multi vitamin tablets ok, one a day.

3 hours ago, brucec64 said:

AZ is a private company. Even if manufactured in Thailand, the Thai government still needs to order and pay for the vaccine. That's how business works...

Correct, except for the fact that every foreign Comp has to have min 51% Th shareholders.... From that point of view the locally manufactured vaccine may be interesting financially......

1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

Countries that have a national insurance scheme to cover all and invest while corrupt elite countries fail and have a massive division of wealth

Universal national insurance...not USA then.

corrupt elite...er....where shall we start!

massive division of wealth...er...much quicker to list those that do not.

I think your "argument" is just a teensy weensy bit flawed.

PH

• Like 1