Compulsory test before surgery

alyx

Hey everyone

Scheduled for a small surgery at the end of this month, I have an appointment wit the doctor on Saturday who informed me that I needed to undergo a Covid testprior to the intervention. I called the hospital ( Camillian on Thonglor in Bangkok) and was told I had to take the test at their premises.

I have some difficulties admitting that the test is necessary but that us their prerogative but what I do not accept is to be forced to take such a test "their" designated premises. Not willing to get in their "business" deal, I am cancelling the surgery.

Some hospitals, like the Bangkok Hospital is asking their patients for the same thing but they do provide a free test (before and after actually)

I recently had surgery at Samitivej Hospital Sukhumvit 49 on Dec 22. No COVID test was performed, but I was required to have an HIV test. That said, today (Jan 6) when I went in for a follow up, I was asked to fill out a "COVID Risk Assessment" form.

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Isn't that sort of cutting off the nose to spite the face? No test ok, but no surgery either.

Exactly 

As I wrote. It is their right to ask this and mine to decline. 
Also not upset about that but the fact that they do not leave the choice of where this can be done.

I might add that it is a minor surgery. Whether it is done or not has no incidence on my health.

Whatever next, these hospitals will be charging for carrying out a blood pressure test, weighing you and taking your temperature when you go to have stitches removed.
Many hospitals do seem to routinely charge for, what some would consider, unnecessary procedures as a matter of course. 

• Like 2

Even in Europe one has to have certain tests done before surgery may it be HIV Hepatitis etc. Why not have a Covid test too? If the hospital needs it for a procedure it is deemed as part of it and is picked up by your insurance anyway. If you have none I would try to negotiate if the price is way off.

A friend's girlfriend went into Pattaya International Hospital on 30th December for an urgent operation. They insisted on testing her for Covid-19 before admission (he stayed in her room but did they not test him as said "you live together so no need to test you too"). After succesful surgery she's now at home recovering.

Edited by soi3eddie