I'm writing a personal letter to the owners of Chang Beer.

WineOh

9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I want to know exactly why they changed their recipe, lowered the alcohol content and decided to discontinue an excellent beer.

The old Chang was great, at 6.4% ABV I believe and a lovely smooth taste.

This new stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Too gassy, no real taste and too weak.

If the sole reason to change their product was to avoid tax (which I suspect it was) then surely they can re-release the old drink as kind of like a niche product?

There are other high percent beers available at 7/11 but they just don't taste the same.

The old Chang was my drink of choice when it was in the brown bottle.

Now I never buy it and it's a real shame ???? 

Bring back the old Chang now! 

Whistling in the wind?????

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I agree with the OP. Chang was my regular beer until they changed it. I could not believe how awful the new weaker beer was and haven't drunk any since. At the time I actually did write to Chang asking them how they could do something so dumb to take a winning formula and change it to garbage, but of course, never received a reply.

There is your answer Liverpoolfan!  asked and answer now close the thread thank god I don't drink.????

9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:
9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Have you tried Chang Cold Brew 25 year anniversary?

No. But I've heard it's similar to the current stuff available. 

And I've bought their 'Cold Brew'. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to try it, as placing foil over the top of the can as a gimmick doesn't bode well, does it.
I quite like, for a Thai beer, the new Leo 8 which they describe as a strong brew, even though it is only 0.1% higher than the regular Leo. I'll just add that claim to one of the countless things I don't understand in Thailand. To me it tastes remarkably like Tapper.
But really, liking any Thai beer is relative because that is all there is available without paying a huge premium. I've spent time in Spain, and you get get five beers there for the price of one in a Thai supermarket. Same goes for wine - you can get five bottles of questionable wine for the price of one in Thailand. Blended whiskies are a decent price though.

• Like 1

I didn't travel to TH until 2016 changover has always tasted bad to me.  Just a couple bottles gave me a headache hangover. I'm an experienced homebrewer and was even offered a job at a microbrewery some 10 years ago.  If any of you have missed the epic rise in beer taste and quality in the micro brew craze of the last 10-15 years in USA you are not even remotely qualified to rate any beer. 

Edited by Elkski

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've spent time in Spain, and you get get five beers there for the price of one in a Thai supermarket. Same goes for wine - you can get five bottles of questionable wine for the price of one in Thailand. Blended whiskies are a decent price though.

Hence why I will probably be moving to Spain one day :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I want to know exactly why they changed their recipe, lowered the alcohol content and decided to discontinue an excellent beer.

If the sole reason to change their product was to avoid tax (which I suspect it was) then surely they can re-release the old drink as kind of like a niche product?

There are other high percent beers available at 7/11 but they just don't taste the same.

Chok dee with that. Totally agree with you, but I wrote them years ago to let them know the old formula was superb and this new swill awful and never even got a "canned" response. No reply at all. Typically Thai though and not a surprise. 

Edited by Skeptic7

15 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Op. Just try the Chiang 25 Year.  It tastes the same as the old one.

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I am going to try that - seriously.

But, can you clarify - does a couple of nips add up to a tot, or would it be best to add a smidgen at a time until the correct taste is achieved?

????

Or a dram, toot, a wee one. I'll ask my brother; he owns a couple of pubs in Aberdeen. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, they will off course change back to the old receip quickly then....????????????

the old Chang was always by my side when at the beach.

Order a burger? Big Chang.

Fried Rice? Small Chang.

Take a bird out for dinner? Chang tower ????

You sure know how to treat the ladies. ????

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

'Taste' isn't just on the tongue. 

True????

Thats why I only drink Brandy now, no bad chemicals in that, and it is actually good for you, lowest calories in all alcoholic drinks and is good for cholesterol. But has to be a good quality VOSP.

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

I didn't travel to TH until 2016 changover has always tasted bad to me.  Just a couple bottles gave me a headache hangover. I'm an experienced homebrewer and was even offered a job at a microbrewery some 10 years ago.  If any of you have missed the epic rise in beer taste and quality in the micro brew craze of the last 10-15 years in USA you are not even remotely qualified to rate any beer. 

Riiight!

Forget "cheap" beer and embrace "culture". Good wine is the answer, for every twenty beers you used to drink buy one bottle of wine and share it with a lovely lady,  or gentleman, legitimate or not. 

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SW Happy said:

Thats why I only drink Brandy now, no bad chemicals in that, and it is actually good for you, lowest calories in all alcoholic drinks and is good for cholesterol. But has to be a good quality VOSP.

I thought VSOP was Very Special Old Peculiar or something similar.  Maybe VOSP is Very old special plonk.

I digest.   A few old peculiars are coming to my place tonight.  One I know likes Cheers beer , so yesteday we cleared the shelf of its 10 beers at Lotus , good thing me being a VSOP tight wad is the beer was only 47 B per bottle.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:24 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Old Chang beer =Old Elephant <deleted>?

On 1/7/2021 at 8:17 PM, Phuketshrew said:

I'd go and get tested for Covid-19. Clearly you have lost any sense of taste .....????

oh and for the record, before reading before reading any further replies/posts,
i had a chang the other day and for some reason it tasted different and very average,

checked expiry and it was 08/21

so I dont know whats going on, maybe my covid is recovering????

Edited by hellohello123