Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

58 minutes ago, ryandb said:

if you don't think these apps won't have access to your search history and access to other files on your phone  you are very naive! 

I guess you don't understand double negatives. Next time try to say it correctly : if you don't think these apps will have access to your search history and access to other files on your phone you are very naive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonclark said:

Well I guess that means most of the Thai population are now considered criminals as Google play store shows only 500k+ have downloaded the Mor Chana app. Not even 1 million. And Thai Chana only has 1m+ downloadeds. 

Well most of us are expats are treated like criminals anyway even if we are not considered to be one.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

How does that go when you are getting a notice that you have been near an infected person? Do you have to self Quarentine for 14 days or even a spend money on a covid test?

I won't be spending thousands on a covid test just to help fill the pockets of the unelected "PM" and his soldiers.

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find most people with a phone also have internet access otherwise the phone isnt much use, its how most people communicate nowadays, via messaging apps, LINE etc. A basic internet access is cheaper than paying to make cellular calls.

I dont bother putting credit to make calls on my phone as I haven't made a paid call in years.

Also plenty of free wifi , even provided free by the Gov in poor rural areas.

I have a phone but no internet access outside of my condo. It is called a phone so that people can "phone" me.

• Like 2

I will say the same as others, will the govt. pay for internet, I only use the internet at home on my lap top, I don't use the internet on my phone, my phone is just that, a PHONE !, unless I need to use GPS to travel by car to somewhere unfamiliar to me, i get a one day package, with travel restrictions in place thats an oxymoron. 

18 hours ago, Nout said:

Not just a member of the 'Arkward Squad' but a tough guy too!

Nice to see someone who is not a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade. there seems to be more and more of these members here on Thaivisa everyday. :cheesy:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

You speak without intelligence ???? There are many people in this country that are very poor and can't afford a phone. The homeless people sleeping in doorways and on the footpath in Bangkok can't even afford food! How in God's name do you think they can afford a phone and monthly phone bill?!?!?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I know a few Thai people that can not afford these phones does that make them criminals?

I personally do not know anyone, Thai or foreign, who does not have at least one phone !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb

I guess everyone can afford to pay for internet on their phones too. This poster is as smart as Donald Trump.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I personally do not know anyone, Thai or foreign, who does not have at least one phone !

Me neither BUT in saying that I know one older UK expat who still carries his contacts around with him on scraps of paper in his bag and hand dials, can't even come to grips with storing numbers let alone running apps.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find most people with a phone also have internet access otherwise the phone isnt much use, its how most people communicate nowadays, via messaging apps, LINE etc. A basic internet access is cheaper than paying to make cellular calls.

I dont bother putting credit to make calls on my phone as I haven't made a paid call in years.

Also plenty of free wifi , even provided free by the Gov in poor rural areas.

200 THB pm internet on AIS, unlimited, 10mbps. 

So the road and transport office are closed till 31 march and people can drive until then on their expired license, what about the road tax ? last time they had restrictions i was fined, let off the tax disc fine 300b after they talked to my wife on the phone, but fined for not having the mandatory insurance 500b fine.

20 hours ago, apex2000 said:

I assume these apps require an Internet connection to log in/out of places. 
What happens in the case of not having an Internet connection on my phone?
I use wifi for Internet on my phone at home.

Nope, this app communicates directly with the phone network. (LBS) They can only have an accurate location what will be the mast most close to you. Masts (Phone grid) are about 2km away from each other. So they can not pinpoint the location where you are. And what about the virus then ? Can only travel 2/5 meter. So if you are 2km away from a mast and together with someone who is infected or yourself who is infected, you can only be pinpointed with triangular detection. (Use 3 or more masts to pinpoint). To much data to analyze things. You will be already infected or infect other people when (if) detected. So this app is somewhere useless as the rate of new infections per day goes up exponential. (Another week and we have situations like in USA).

20 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Nope, still not using it. I’ll take the risk, thanks. 

And you'll take the risk of infecting not only your family (should you have any) but anyone unfortunate enough to come into contact with you.  Doubtless you'll be helping with their medical bills and chip in to support their children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Harveyboy said:

just read government says all  anonymous..no data stored all that is needed is my phone number ..when i registered my SIM  i gave all info including passport details ect .... Anonymous., am i missing something  ..they know more about me than my mother 

2 hours ago, Dundee2308 said:

Nope, this app communicates directly with the phone network. (LBS) They can only have an accurate location what will be the mast most close to you. Masts (Phone grid) are about 2km away from each other. So they can not pinpoint the location where you are. And what about the virus then ? Can only travel 2/5 meter. So if you are 2km away from a mast and together with someone who is infected or yourself who is infected, you can only be pinpointed with triangular detection. (Use 3 or more masts to pinpoint). To much data to analyze things. You will be already infected or infect other people when (if) detected. So this app is somewhere useless as the rate of new infections per day goes up exponential. (Another week and we have situations like in USA).

The app uses GPS, Bluetooth and a QR code at a specific location. It is not dependent on mast locations to position the phones.

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Coming soon to a corner near you....Government Chipping stations to ensure you can be traced and tracked like a dog....

Maybe this app  could do away with the 90 day reporting ?

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.

Some inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed. 

21 hours ago, 10baht said:

So if you don't own a smartphone you are now a criminal in Thailand???

What people can and want to afford is none of your business. I will refrain from calling you what the rest of us think you are.

I own a Dumb phone and I am proud of it!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've just d/l the ThaiChana app.

I can't see anywhere to register?

If I click the shutter at the bottom of the screen it wants to scan a QR code (I suppose)?

The 'person' icon at the top right just seems to say who's developed it?

image.thumb.png.c171d6b5539e82a2522092eb46c63ab2.png

looks like you are already registered. I am running Android. I think yours is an Apple phone? I just installed the Morchana app which is more useful.   

If there is data, any data, available the authorities along with half the dark web will have it. This is true of any country on the planet. 

The only defense is to avoid releasing any personal data at all that you don't have to. The surveillance state is here to stay and is implacably remorseless in data larceny. They even trade it amongst themselves like baseball cards. 

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't worry. My (Thai) wife laughed and said it will be ignored in the same way that every one of the countless ill-thought out and un-enforceable laws are.

I'm sure they will start throwing people into jail right after they collect the two million or so unpaid speeding and traffic tickets that Thai routinely ignore without any consequences.

• Haha 1