Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

And tou think Big Brother doesn't exist in the West. Wake up! Your government know more about you than you realise. 

Of course it does, in every corner of the world, yet to different lengths. Thailand is one of the most controlled nations in the modern world. Things are rarely ever black and white. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Did you have double your regular dose of ya ba today ?

Has nothing to do with affording it or not. People don't need an excuse for not buying something they don't want.

If you genuinely think otherwise (and I don't think you even believe what you write), then I've got all kinds of things that you must buy from me. If you don't buy them, then YOU can't afford to be here in Thailand. No Excuses !

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

1) my iphone is too old, or app ask newer OS, which my old one is not capable

2) don't have a data plan, not going to spend money to go to be able to go shop

wonder what will happen... denied entry ?

Just tell them that you spent all your money on hookers and whiskey, and a Katoy stole your phone when you were <deleted> and that you can't afford to buy a new one.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb

1-2k Baht is a lot for many Thai people. When you understand that many Thais only make 300 baht per day, paying for a smartphone and phone service is not high on the list. And that's during non-pandemic times, when people actually had a job. The pandemic has put many Thais out of work. 

But, if you are offering to buy them all phones, then I'm sure they will be happy to use it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I think the original OP is now mute: 

Update

Try moot....but some people should be mute, at least until their brain is operational. “Oh, Somchai doesn’t have a smartphone ?” Better change our minds then.

2 minutes ago, mal2018 said:

Thailand is home to many people other than ex-pats. Perhaps you haven't noticed ????

Thank you! Some expats think every Thai woman is either a well-off Bangkok girl, or a bar girl.
My fiance had a food shop and supported her family for many years, until the pandemic hit. Since the pandemic, the price of vegetables and meat increased at the markets, making it no longer cost-effective to continue running her shop.

Her parents refused to learn how to use a smartphone. It wasn't a necessary cost for them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Yes. Any other questions? Such as why would anyone living in today's world outside of extreme poverty or in the hills and jungles not have a smart phone? I would go as far as saying no one should enter the country without a smart phone. I would go further and say no one in their right mind would or should travel in a covid infected world without one. Stay home, stay away from Thailand. Meanwhile, I'm sure that Thailand can address the issue if it exists just fine. I hope this puts your mind at rest. 

I did not like the name of this App, Thai Chana "Thai win" kind of xenophobia in my eyes. I also don't trust this so called "government"  run by criminals and entering my personal data in an App that they control is a big no for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Try moot....but some people should be mute, at least until their brain is operational. “Oh, Somchai doesn’t have a smartphone ?” Better change our minds then.

This is funny - it was rescinded by about page 12 of this thread and yet here we are on page 22 with people arguing. ????

6 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

I have a smart phone, with internet connection, with Thai chana app.

I also use a VPN when phone connected to the internet. With VPN you cannot register Thai Chana or use the scanner process who’s gives the 403 error when used. 

I use Thai Chana but not my fault it does not work. 

From Thai Chana to Thai Phae  

ไทยชนะ
ไทยแพ้

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Which one is this: ThaiChana, MorChana, or maybe both?

I'll regret this, why is a bank building these apps, not a government department?

Krung Thai Bank (KTB) , although listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand as KRUNG THAI BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED is 55.xx% controlled by a government institution, i.e., The Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF), part of the Bank of Thailand (BOT).  Its main focus is on government customers and support of relevant government policies and programs. The bank has experience in app development, which is probably why they were selected for this task, but it could have been for other reasons.

Disclaimer: I am not promoting the bank. I do not work with, for or in cooperation with the bank.

12 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

you gonna make me buy one ?

Maybe they will just make it part of the visa extension process.

In order to get your extension, along with proof of Baht in the bank, they will require you to show proof of a mobile phone with an active data plan and the tracking app.

• Sad 4

15 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Your programming is now complete. Please continue shopping now. And do not turn off your cellophone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh dear I don't have eenough memory on my phone for any Apps.

How can they be compulsory when very many people do not have internet on their phones as it is too expensive etc - so their phones will not work for this app witout it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

And then the flip-flop, Thai only at present but I'm sure the English press will have it soon. Google Translate does a "reasonable" job.

https://www.matichon.co.th/politics/news_2517929

The U turn has now been completed. It is not compulsory. All a big misunderstanding and Anutin has spoken to Prayut to come up with new guidance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got pretty bored around page 8 of replies so I thought I'd address some general complaints and people with false replies, just to pre-empt this with I generally scan the qr codes or sign in with my actual info (not that the locals in Chiang Mai seem to) so I don't care that much as I understand my privacy vanished a long time ago, not that I think its right but I am a realist.

- The app won't take any more personal data than immigration already have.... False immigration doesn't know your location history also if you don't think these apps won't have access to your search history and access to other files on your phone  you are very naive! (if your phone is attached to a google account or iOS account thats attached to other devices then thats the search and location history of those too)

-If I don't have  data on then it won't know where I am, wrong again as long as your phone is on or has a battery in it (why do you think all batteries became full incased in phones) you position can be found through Cell phones around you. If you are worried about being tracked you need a non internet capable phone with no sim card attached to your details or leave it at home.

But that being said I could build a better app in a week than these guys so doubtful it will work as they intend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anybody the latest update on:

1. Do you need Mor Chana or Thai Chana or both

2. Is it needed for travel across provincial borders only or as well within a province (in the past you could write down your name when entering a shopping center etc.)

3. Must location service be switched on all the time ? Neither my wife nor me have a data plan, we use prepaid only

Strictly speaking I do not even have a mobile phone but use the second phone of my wife. She has installed Thai Chana on her first phone (but never used it). Therefore she fulfills the requirements I suppose and so do I since I do not have an own SIM card. Or not ? Tricky one isn't it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

That's pretty much everyone

Yes agreed, however that's why I said until it's passed into legislation, I won't be downloading the app, I mean anyone in government can say anything, but unless it's passed into legislation those words don't mean squat to me.

2 hours ago, Colonial said:

How can they be compulsory when very many people do not have internet on their phones as it is too expensive etc - so their phones will not work for this app witout it?

I think you will find most people with a phone also have internet access otherwise the phone isnt much use, its how most people communicate nowadays, via messaging apps, LINE etc. A basic internet access is cheaper than paying to make cellular calls.

I dont bother putting credit to make calls on my phone as I haven't made a paid call in years.

Also plenty of free wifi , even provided free by the Gov in poor rural areas.