Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Including old Thai people?

There are citizens in every country who are poor and/ or too old to use a smart phone. 

• Like 2

This is just a big brother exercise to watch us all. It is completely unnecessary because if you have location ( Google ) switched on, on your phone the phone will automatically record all your movements. I do not plan installing this as it is not in my best interest to show where I am 24 hours a day. Also to use this I assume it requires an Internet connection. If the government wants to pay for my phone internet I will consider it. 

• Like 1

An app that potentially prevents a pandemic, lockdowns, economic loss, and loss of income for many Thais. I am sure most farangs will fully support this new technology and help their guest country this way.

Fohe very few negative types, please nobody forces you to stay, go back to farang country and join the many anti covid protests. No apps, no masks, no social distancing, yeehha join the fun.

• Sad 3

If I understand now after some amendments it accepted to use documentation. However and my query is was this app really meant for the entire population and if it wasn't what use could it then have? I mean they could trace a person from Samut Sakhon with morechina but what about the asymptotic young man he talked with at the car dealer without mask a few days before he tested positive and this young man had no Morechina neither had his mother in Chiang Sean visited a few days later and I nearly forgot his wife working for a International company and recently had visit from one of their customers in Singapore but they are unable to reach the customer by either e-mail or phone????   

Edited by Felt 35

Well I can see that there will 

A)  Be a run on expatriates looking for phone advice:

B)  Worn out excuses

C)  Thais looking for cheap second hand phones.

On the plus side, you could probably sell your outdated smart phone or gift it to a family who really needs it.  Wouldn't that be nice of you?  Yes, it would.  

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No thanks, I don't want to have to pay several thousand Baht for a test just because somebody with covid might have walked near me. I also don't want to spend 2 weeks in hospital even though I don't have any symptoms and be forced to pay for it.

Don't they just make you stay home?

Just now, jackdd said:

If you test positive you will be forced to spend 14 days in hospital quarantine even if you don't show any symptoms and you will have to pay for it.

Oh, ok.  I appreciate the answer and you taking the time to do so.

Yikes! ????

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Coming soon to a corner near you....Government Chipping stations to ensure you can be traced and tracked like a dog....

Thailand has done extremely well in controlling the disease in comparison to many countries where the "commentators" come from. So or adapt or make a move. Thank you. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Showoff !

• Haha 1

These things work off bluetooth if I am not mistaken.  If your bluetooth is off it doesn't work.

Another option is just download the darned thing and leave your smartphone at home.  Don't take it anywhere.  

You know the problem with this is people who are sick won't want to get help.  

I'm not thinking of the expat community per se, but everyone else.  

However, I understand why they want to go this route.  Hiring people to contact trace is extremely time consuming and extremely difficult at the best of times.  

I have no problems at all with an app tracking me, if its for the general good then I am good with it as well.

My worry is this though ...... bluetooth tracks to 15 meters (?), so if I pass someone in the street/supermarket/wherever my understanding is I am safe as long as I have my mask on and keep two meters apart. But what if I pass someone at 15 meters. I am safe as houses as I understand it but the app could have me registered as being in close vicinity and then I have to quarantine myself for 14 days and pay for a test I don't think I need.

Am I right or does the app not do this? Am I wrong?

1 minute ago, Whale said:

I have no problems at all with an app tracking me, if its for the general good then I am good with it as well.

My worry is this though ...... bluetooth tracks to 15 meters (?), so if I pass someone in the street/supermarket/wherever my understanding is I am safe as long as I have my mask on and keep two meters apart. But what if I pass someone at 15 meters. I am safe as houses as I understand it but the app could have me registered as being in close vicinity and then I have to quarantine myself for 14 days and pay for a test I don't think I need.

Am I right or does the app not do this? Am I wrong?

WE have the exact same software here - and it tracks to 2 metres, and you have to be within them for 15 minutes at a time.  IT's distance and time.  Basically, the software has been copied around the world.  

Nobody wants you to go into quarantine or worse.  Or take tests that are unnecessary.  

But they have their limitations.  Leave your smartphone at home and it obviously does nothing.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Until Covid is under  control &  the Vulnerable have been vaccinated 

Immigration already have all of your personal data believe it or not ???? 

But they don't know what bars you may or may not go to. Your gf's homes or anywhere else you might go that you might not want other people to know about 

It is a little to late now! I am sure the head hurts have seen their own people walking in from of them not using this application. 

If you are going to be an enforcer than start with your people first.....They are suppose to set the standard.  Too big of a word for many to read and understand....????????????????

7 hours ago, Mung said:

That's one thing I certainly don't miss, and something I realised a lot more after having moved away from LOS for the first time in a decade, the control is real. Alcohol being sold at certain times of the day, alcohol bans, not being able to think and say what you feel like, and now you must own a smartphone and download an app that restricts your privacy lol. I'll pass thanks.  

Yes, quite depressing, once it was called "land of the free" and a great place.