Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

1 hour ago, Docno said:

As already noted by others, there's been something similar in Singapore for a while. After the Singapore government said that the data would be only be accessed for covid contact tracing and would be deleted after a period of time, it was revealed that the police had accessed the database to investigate a murder. Then the minister in charge of contact tracing said that he had 'forgotten' that some legislation gives the police authority to access any government held database. One of my friends does close work with the government ministry involved in this programme, and it's been hinted to him that even once covid is a thing of the past, they may keep the public using the app (supposedly to be prepared for new outbreaks). 1984 was just 36 years early. 

@NanLaew needs to read that. He fails to understand the security risks and privacy concerns with invasive government apps that are made mandatory by authoritarian regimes.  We've seen their laughable efforts with data security here before with foreign residents' personal details being leaked onto the Internet from the Thai Immigration database, allowing anyone to view sensitive personal details including names, date of birth and passport numbers. 

There is a big difference between using a QR code to check in and being made to put software on your device. Turning it off doesn't always work either, many apps continue to run in the background without the user's knowledge. 

Or perhaps he was being deliberately obtuse. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

a better approach might be for the government to provide a budget smartphone to those who can't afford one, rather than punish them with a 100,000 baht fine etc.

Or a digital token like in Singapore where they share ALL the data with law enforcement.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe people need to actually be in Thailand and actually install the app before commenting.

Then they will find out THERE IS NO PERSONAL DATA entered to install or use the app.

You do not disclose your name, your address or your shoe size, there is literally no field to enter any of this information. The app will work with with/without fulltime internet access, the contact tracing part is done via Bluetooth/GPS, (both will work without internet) The app logs if you came within a couple of meters of an infected persons Bluetooth or location and will report and advise next time you log on.

They have all your details when you bought or registered your Sim.

Unless of course someone else registered it for you. 

They also know your IP address if you use cellular Internet. 

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I think if you use the QR scanner in LINE only, the store will capture your info which will go in the 28-day database but without either of the recommended apps, you won't be notified of being in close proximity to someone who has subsequently reported being infected. IMHO, if you are not going the whole nine yards and installing either app, just stick to he note pad and pen at the door. I seriously doubt that info is being archived in any form that will make for a quick search and ring-around if a cluster pops up at your local Tesco-Lotus.

Yes, I've done that in the past.

Today I've just d/l the ThaiChana app, and back on page 15 I posted a screenshot asking how to register with it, so that I am informed of any developments.

So far nobody seems to be able to explain what I need to do. To my mind, the ThaiChana app is not user friendly - that is, assuming I do need to register my details on it initially?

People have mentioned about 'registering', but I'm at a loss how to do this.

32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK. Are you saying I don't need to enter any information at all using my phone, not initially, nor any time I scan the QR code?

How does the system know who I am, similar to people using the manual method to write their name and phone number?

This is a straight question. I can't seem to get an answer.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think when you scan the code, your phone number is logged, although I don't have any evidence for this, but I don't see how else it could work. But, if it's true, then couple that with the time and place registered on ThaiChana by the place you're visiting, your exact whereabouts at 2 moments in time will be recorded, assuming you remember to check out again, and you will be traceable. I read somewhere that all unchecked out check-ins are cleared at midnight the same day. Edit: I don't think this is the case at all! It wouldn't make any sense to delete half the data just because you didn't have the other half.

I think it's probably a real hit and miss system. I regularly visit big c extra on Klang. I have yet to see ANYONE check out. And many don't even check in. It kind of makes me feel why the hell am I bothering? The attitude amongst many seems to be "Not my problem". Nobody enforces any rules. Nobody gives a damn. Totally like everywhere else in the world it seems. I'm sure many foreigners feel the same way. Why bother? It's very disheartening.

BUT BUT BUT Thais do have extraordinary success in tracking people down who have been potentially infected. Look at the clusters originating in Rayong and Samut Sakorn. They are able to pinpoint an infected person 100s of miles away and say where they contracted it. Probably by word of mouth I guess. That seems to be the most reliable method! But I'm more than happy to try and help them along the way for what is really only a minutes work.

Edited by bradiston
Ambiguity

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Though that is actually still a lot of money for poor Thai, I haven't met a Thai yet who didn't have one. ???? And most of them have an all in contract or prepaid.

17 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

@NanLaew needs to read that. He fails to understand the security risks and privacy concerns with invasive government apps that are made mandatory by authoritarian regimes.  We've seen their laughable efforts with data security here before with foreign residents' personal details being leaked onto the Internet from the Thai Immigration database, allowing anyone to view sensitive personal details including names, date of birth and passport numbers. 

There is a big difference between using a QR code to check in and being made to put software on your device. Turning it off doesn't always work either, many apps continue to run in the background without the user's knowledge. 

Or perhaps he was being deliberately obtuse. 

I read about Singapre's abuse a few days ago already. Shatters the illusion that some has of some perfect island nation that is so much better than Thailand will ever be. But I digress.

I'm not being obtuse. I simply don't care if the Thai authorities choose to sift through the data on my phone because, I know it's cliche but I have nothing to hide.

After almost 30 years of popping in and out of the country up to a dozen times a year and filing almost a dozen back-to-back marriage and retirement extensions, Thai immigration have a pretty good fix on me. That and the fact that dozens of my 'confidential information' in the form of passport scans and what have you have already been recycled in three different immigration offices means I DO NOT CARE.

Clear enough for ya?

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Today I've just d/l the ThaiChana app, and back on page 15 I posted a screenshot asking how to register with it, so that I am informed of any developments.

So far nobody seems to be able to explain what I need to do. To my mind, the ThaiChana app is not user friendly - that is, assuming I do need to register my details on it initially?

Sorry, I can't help you. I went with MorChana and haven't experienced any of the issues that others have moaned about.

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK. Are you saying I don't need to enter any information at all using my phone, not initially, nor any time I scan the QR code?

How does the system know who I am, similar to people using the manual method to write their name and phone number?

It sounds similar to many apps around the world based on the Google/Apple system. It doesn't need to know who you are, just that the phone (and presumably its owner) has been in close proximity to another phone whose owner has tested positive. No information is passed back to any server. Whilst a great idea, the system doesn't actually work that well and manual tracing is far more effective, when used properly.

If you want to know how it works, just learn about coding and then inspect the code, which is publicly available here... https://github.com/codeforpublic

At this point there are 17 pages, and the ThaiVisa search function sucks. Is there an Endlish language version available somewhere? Neither app is available in the PlayStore on my six-year-old Android phone, and both the links in the article are in Thai, with no apparent thingy to click on to change language. I've been thinking about buying a new phone anyway, but it has to wait until I get my tax refund next month. Meanwhile my current phone is on Android 4.0 and can't be upgraded. Although I can read Thai, it's a pretty slow process and I don't enjoy it. At the Big C today they're still using dead tree notebooks for people to sign in. I think this "requirement" is going to founder like it did last year.

25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

After a lot of searching, it appears that "registering" for ThaiChana is a requirement for shops/businesses, so they can request a QR code for customers to scan.

It seems ordinary customers are not required to register.

The other thing I've discovered is that when scanning a shop's QR code, your phone number is sent to a central point by using your phone's data roaming facility. (Unless of course you are already logged in to a local wi-fi upon entering)

This makes a mockery of the system. My son doesn't have data roaming. Yet he's been into Big C and other shops, scanned the QR code. No local wi-fi. No notification that it isn't tracking him.

That means he, through no fault of his own, has not provided his details.

I don't know if the app explains the requirements clearly in Thai or not.Somehow I doubt it. In English there is nothing.

57 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Again, I am talking about MorChana but at no time during the setup did it ask for my number. Only when I first used it to scan a QR code, did it prompt for my mobile number. After that, it hasn't done anything except update at each scan and tell me I am still 'green and clear'. I assume that once the IMSI/MIN number of the handset (Google it) is flagged on their database as having been in the proximity of someone elses handset that reported via their app of testing positive, then you get notification, SMS and call.

Prayuth should make a speech to the nation. 

"I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been in way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand.

This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They have all your details when you bought or registered your Sim.

Unless of course someone else registered it for you. 

They also know your IP address if you use cellular Internet. 

Thats all information a government can get anytime if they really want to, this app doesnt change anything.

If you have ever had a pizza delivered, the pizza company has more of your information than this app does.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never leave my home and I don't have a mobile phone.

So if I did buy a mobile phone, and use the app, it would show I had never left my home.

(assuming if I were to leave my home, I'd take the phone with the app with me)

all that any subsequent interrogation would reveal is that at least your new phone's Home button works ???? 

So now everyone is tracked. You have no choice and you have no idea what else the app does. Listening in on calls, collecting personal data. monitoring texts and emails, accessing the microphone to listen to external conversations, etc. The press and social media can only report what the government dictates is the truth hidden in COVID regulations. It's 100% 1984.

Be warned. Big Brother is watching you now.

????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, apex2000 said:

I assume these apps require an Internet connection to log in/out of places. 
What happens in the case of not having an Internet connection on my phone?
I use wifi for Internet on my phone at home.

Exactly! Not everyone has WiFi on the phone unless they are at home!

• Like 1