Trump supporters who stormed U.S. Capitol could face sedition charges -prosecutor

webfact

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I can see clearly that you're trying to trivialize one of the most serious attacks on American democracy in US history.

Not really, an unhappy crowd that did not cause a bloodbath, did not blow the place up, and the lack of enforcement allowed it....???? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

True, but doubtful that will happen. Trump may even ask Pence to go ahead with article 25 to prevent impeachment ????

Trump is perfectly capable of activating Article 25 on his own as Bush and Reagan did, but he would have to get a promise of a pardon from Pence to make it worthwhile.  My guess is that Pence has already refused which is why Trump has not hesitated to lambast him.  I certainly hope that is the case since then Trump will be forced to pardon himself which will insure that the Biden DoJ brings charges against him to test the self-pardon.

Edited by cmarshall

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Bit off topic there chap, but did one go off at this gathering, did I miss something...?

apparently yes.  yes, you did.  some of those friendly chaps took pipe-bombs and molotovs to the garden party.  maybe they were the gardeners, preparing to refresh the tree of liberty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

when it reigns it pours!

White House Forced Georgia U.S. Attorney to Resign

Pressure for resignation was part of broader push by President Trump to overturn state’s election results

White House officials pushed Atlanta’s top federal prosecutor to resign before Georgia’s U.S. Senate runoffs because President Trump was upset he wasn’t doing enough to investigate the president’s unproven claims of election fraud, people familiar with the matter said.

A senior Justice Department official, at the behest of the White House, called the Trump-appointed U.S. Attorney Byung J. Pak late on the night of Jan. 3. In that call the official said Mr. Trump was furious there was no investigation related to election fraud and that the president wanted to fire Mr. Pak, the people said.

Mr. Pak resigned abruptly on Monday—the day before the runoffs—saying in an early morning email to colleagues that his departure was due to “unforeseen circumstances.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-forced-georgia-u-s-attorney-to-resign-11610225840

expect to see much more of this in the next few days.

apparently it was trump himself who will provide the rope.

I don't doubt this account at all, but even if is true it does not implicate Trump in a crime.

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

I don't doubt this account at all, but even if is true it does not implicate Trump in a crime.

possible.......the legal types would have to weigh in on whether this would amount to interference in an investigation, racketeering, or obstruction of justice.

at a minimum, it adds to the growing body of evidence showing a pattern of criminal behavior, or perhaps mental instability.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. Trump would never ask that. But he might resign to get a pardon from Pence. But at this point I'm not sure Pence would comply.

Agree, he probably won't ask. But Pence may refuse article 25 and gamble that impeachment will be had, thereby eliminating a potential competitor from 2024.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Not really, an unhappy crowd that did not cause a bloodbath, did not blow the place up, and the lack of enforcement allowed it....???? 

White supremacists,  conspiracists, neo nazis, leading pro-Trump rioters  - this is just America     

Edited by Opl
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

You get that in any gathering.....UK has the same...????

I dont remember terrorists storming the UK govt.

Trying to find pence to hang him and shooting pelosi. Bombs and molotov cocktails.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/us-capitol-riot-mob-wanted-to-kill-mike-pence-run-pelosi-over-with-a-car/news-story/ab3277f484a9d04c162dc1c985aa4edc

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Opl said:

White supremacists,  conspiracists, neo nazis, leading pro-Trump rioters  - this is America     

You could be right, but I think many folk are easily led, even brainwashed, we know that from the ISIS mob, a bit different but to me much the same...

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

You could be right, but I think many folk are easily led, even brainwashed, we know that from the ISIS mob, a bit different but to me much the same...

and Ted Cruz and Matt Gaetz, and Lindsey Graham, all the rest of why not me would be POTUS too, all voluntarily hostages of Trump's mobs - it's far worse - but those are Americans, so it's OK   

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

possible.......the legal types would have to weigh in on whether this would amount to interference in an investigation, racketeering, or obstruction of justice.

at a minimum, it adds to the growing body of evidence showing a pattern of criminal behavior, or perhaps mental instability.

Actually, I don't think it was criminal behavior since there is no reason to believe that Trump was attempting to prevent Byung from pursuing legal actions against himself or his crime family.  Instead, it appears just to have been a fit of pique that the US Attorney had not investigated the voting "fraud" that Trump claims must have occurred in GA.  So, that's a policy decision within the purview of the President.

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

On sites such as TheDonald.Win and Parler, Trump supporters had been plotting the attack for weeks, promising violence if Congress didn’t overturn the results of the presidential election. They discussed the weapons they would bring and brainstormed which lawmakers they would hang first. “I’m thinking it will be literal war on that day,” one commenter posted on TheDonald’s forum last month, according to the Daily Beast. “Where we’ll storm offices and physically remove and even kill all the D.C. traitors and reclaim the country.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/01/trump-rioters-wanted-more-violence-worse/617614/

original.jpg

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The US Dept. of Defense has already been implicated in Wed. coup attempt since Governor Hogan of Maryland called for permission from the Secretary of Defense to send the Maryland National Guard into Washington D.C. to defend the Congress during the attack.  The Secretary of Defense refused to take the Governor's call.  An hour and a half later the Governor did send in his National Guard on the permission from the Secretary of the Army, who, however, lacks authority to grant such permission as both the Governor and the General undoubtedly knew.

Military involvement can therefore be active participation or passively standing down while others do the dirty work.  Certainly, this coup was poorly planned just like every other endeavor in Trump's life, but the likely scenario was: incite the attack on the Congress which results in a massacre of members of Congress and/or setting fire to the Capitol itself, followed by Trump's declaring martial law and announcing the "delay" of Biden's inauguration.  

It's worth remembering that the governor's mansion of the state of Washington was also attacked by a mob the same day, who, however, failed to gain entry.  It's possible that other attacks on state governors were planned, all of which would give credence to a national emergency requiring the imposition of martial law.

Plotting on Trump websites for weeks, getting a mob to storm the Capitol, even getting the Secretary of Defense to cooperate---Antifa is really good at this stuff!  https://thehill.com/homenews/news/533088-conservatives-blame-antifa-not-Trump-for-violence-at-capitol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Wait, wasn't it Antifa that did this?  That's what Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz and conservative spokeswoman Sarah Palin have said.  Surely such intellectuals couldn't have it wrong.

all part of their cunning plan!

those clever antifa types joined militia groups and right-wing ultranationalist organizations years, perhaps decades ago, just waiting for the chance to implicate some future republican tyrant and his minions.

why, wasn't trump at one time a registered democrat?  is he now to be considered part of the global antifa conspiracy?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2298752/trumpvr2001.pdf

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Plotting on Trump websites for weeks, getting a mob to storm the Capitol, even getting the Secretary of Defense to cooperate---Antifa is really good at this stuff!  https://thehill.com/homenews/news/533088-conservatives-blame-antifa-not-Trump-for-violence-at-capitol

"Plotting for weeks", so why were the FBI etc not ready for it...?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

DT did not become a Republican until a short while before he announced he was running.  I thought this was interesting at the time, there was no questioning of his values (harumpf!) by anyone in the party.  I think both parties need to vet these candidates that just pop up with no political cred and declare themselves a candidate.  But that job would fall to the national committee chair, and these guys tend to be little more than errand boys.

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

why do BLM and Antifa get off scot-free when they perform similar actions?

Because they didn't perform similar actions.  And they did get arrested and put in jail. 

You really need a better source for your news.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

An unhappy crowd?  Are you on drugs?  5 are dead, they were ready to blow up the place, but weren't smart enough to get the job done.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/09/media/reliable-sources-january-8/index.html

Now it's sinking in: Wednesday's Capitol Hill riot was even more violent than it first appeared

Only later did it become clear that lawmakers feared for their lives; that some of the attackers were hunting for congressional leaders; that there could have been a massacre.

The fuller videos that came out on Thursday and Friday provided much more detail. The Daily podcast from The New York Times played audio clips of rioters chanting "Where's Mike Pence? Where's Mike Pence? Where is Mike Pence? Find Mike Pence."

A fraternity prank gone awry.  Agree the lawmakers, ie the elitists, feared for their lives because they are gutless wonders with no sense of humor. There was a similar scene in "Animal House"

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

A fraternity prank gone awry.  Agree the lawmakers, ie the elitists, feared for their lives because they are gutless wonders with no sense of humor. There was a similar scene in "Animal House"

I think you meant to say Animal Kingdom; story of a criminal family and his clan.