Any pick-up recommendation?

heiri007

13 minutes ago, transam said:

No, reading these pages for 15 years gives me a pretty good idea about rides in LOS....

PS. You have had 10 rides in LOS and never had an issue, hmmmmm.

Were they two week hire cars....????

No, the Fords and two of the Toyotas were in LOS Angeles.

In Thailand I've had four Isuzus and two Toyotas. one of which I still have. 

I have replaced tires, batteries, brakes, wiper-blades and other consumables but no significant issues. Actually giving it some thought, the first Toyota I had here (3l Tiger) had to have a clutch, but the office staff was driving it by then. 

But for a few flat tires I never been on the side of the road here, you? 

24 minutes ago, transam said:

No, reading these pages for 15 years gives me a pretty good idea about rides in LOS...

What percentage of the automotive market in Thailand do you think is represented in the "Motor Forum"? 

You're a Toyota fan-boy, I get it, it's great product, I like mine too. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, the Fords and two of the Toyotas were in LOS Angeles.

In Thailand I've had four Isuzus and two Toyotas. one of which I still have. 

I have replaced tires, batteries, brakes, wiper-blades and other consumables but no significant issues. Actually giving it some thought, the first Toyota I had here (3l Tiger) had to have a clutch, but the office staff was driving it by then. 

But for a few flat tires I never been on the side of the road here, you? 

Not that I recall, except punctures...That was in my Toyota Vigo 4x4 auto, sold it at 11.5 years old. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

What percentage of the automotive market in Thailand do you think is represented in the "Motor Forum"? 

You're a Toyota fan-boy, I get it, it's great product, I like mine too. 

I read bloke ride problems here, but, I also take note of s/hand prices and what brand fleet owners buy, which I have noticed is either Toyota or Isuzu. Never yet seen a Ford or Chevy used by a fleet, maybe there are, but I have not seen any...

4 hours ago, seedy said:

Look in Africa, the Middle East, most of Asia, especially away from urban centers.

See a lot of Fords ?

NO - what you see are Toyotas. Why ?

And these 'journalists' - where are they ? In the west, where pickups are an urban vehicle.

When the going gets tough, the tough get Toyotas. Not some fashion accessory.

Because the old junk cars from overseas get shipped to third world countries for second hand cars. That's why you see a lot of Toyota Hilux there.

And yes, they might be reliable but certainly not on par with modern Ford or Mitsubishi pick ups. At least if you want to have some comfort functions and a smooth ride on-road.

11 minutes ago, CLW said:

And yes, they might be reliable but certainly not on par with modern Ford or Mitsubishi pick ups. At least if you want to have some comfort functions and a smooth ride on-road.

Yup - just what the people of Africa need, on their 'roads', comfort and a smooth ride.

They want and need rugged dependability.

You are comparing well off Westerners needs to poor African needs

East is East and West is West ...

If you look at the best selling pickups worldwide, Ford is on top.

Know why ? - 98% of sales in USA and Canada

Chevy and Dodge will follow this trend also.

Know who is in 4th place ? - Toyota, who owns the rest of the world

9 minutes ago, seedy said:

If you look at the best selling pickups worldwide, Ford is on top.

Know why ? - 98% of sales in USA and Canada

Chevy and Dodge will follow this trend also.

Know who is in 4th place ? - Toyota, who owns the rest of the world

Which market is better to have? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's a tough one. 

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Which market is better to have? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's a tough one.

If you want to talk value for money, durability, quality of product you will not be buying ANY pickup made in or for the N American market.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seedy said:

Yup - just what the people of Africa need, on their 'roads', comfort and a smooth ride.

They want and need rugged dependability.

You are comparing well off Westerners needs to poor African needs

East is East and West is West ...

Are you in Africa? Then go for it. I'm based in Thailand therefore not relevant for me. 

As I said I need the pick up as farm vehicle. Transporting produce, soil, fertilizer etc. It will be used 90 percent on paved roads, as we have to drive to other farms in the area, too. This is why I'm looking for some comfort, too. The 4x4 option is just for muddy and steep road sections. We are located near a major city, so if I have any issues with the car, I drive it to the dealer for maintenance and repair. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You're right, the Tundra and Tacoma are both junk.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You're right, the Tundra and Tacoma are both junk.

Maybe investigate the new Toyotas made in Mexico before you jump on that bandwagon.

And they are both made in N. America

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+made+in+mexico

Edited by seedy

On 1/4/2022 at 8:25 AM, phutoie2 said:

Nothing on the current pickup truck market floats my boat, all outrageously over priced bloated barges.  Come on, over a million Baht for a vehicle still with leaf springs.........

I drew open the curtains this morning and there I was, still in Thailand.

9 hours ago, seedy said:

Maybe investigate the new Toyotas made in Mexico before you jump on that bandwagon.

And they are both made in N. America

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+made+in+mexico

So what's your point? That they're both made in North America for the North American market and they're both junk, but the the one's built in Mexico are not quite as bad? 

I been in numerous manufacturing facilities in both Texas and Mexico, and worked at a couple/few in each. You? 

Another +1 for Ford Ranger Vs. Toyota Hilux.

Copied from Australian best selling cars blog:

Over in the models ranking, the Toyota Hilux (+16.9%) remains the overall best-seller for the 6th consecutive year, hitting record volume and market share at just under 53,000 sales and 5%. The Hilux was however challenged this year by the Ford Ranger (+22.7%) also hitting record volume and share at over 50,000 units and 4.8%. The Ranger managed to hold the monthly top spot no less than 6 times this year: in April, June and from September to December, whereas it had only ranked #1 twice before this year: in September 2017 and September 2020. This is all the more impressive that it occurs in the current generation’s last year. The all-new 2022 model may be able to lift the Ranger to #1 annually next year. Note the Ranger easily tops the 4×4 pickup segment with 45,986 sales vs. 39,587 for the Hilux.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Another +1 for Ford Ranger Vs. Toyota Hilux.

Copied from Australian best selling cars blog:

Over in the models ranking, the Toyota Hilux (+16.9%) remains the overall best-seller for the 6th consecutive year, hitting record volume and market share at just under 53,000 sales and 5%. The Hilux was however challenged this year by the Ford Ranger (+22.7%) also hitting record volume and share at over 50,000 units and 4.8%. The Ranger managed to hold the monthly top spot no less than 6 times this year: in April, June and from September to December, whereas it had only ranked #1 twice before this year: in September 2017 and September 2020. This is all the more impressive that it occurs in the current generation’s last year. The all-new 2022 model may be able to lift the Ranger to #1 annually next year. Note the Ranger easily tops the 4×4 pickup segment with 45,986 sales vs. 39,587 for the Hilux.

There are probably the young "I like stickers" brigade buying them...????

On 1/4/2022 at 12:36 PM, Yellowtail said:

Actually Ford is the second biggest seller in Africa right behind (wait for it) VW. 

But yeah, if you're watching a TV show or movie about Africa you will likely see all Toyotas. 

To be clear, I currently own my forth Toyota, but the idea that they build significantly better or more technologically advance products that any other major manufacturer is silly. 

Exactly, people that thinks one brand is superior is likely a brand bitch or below average intelligent.  

Totally silly to be a brand bitch, what have that particular company done for you? Provided a good vehicle for x years? Sure but other brands can do that as well, so don't be silly, it's not like they invite you on holidays or bought you a steak dinner, LOL. 

My Ranger from 2013 have been flawless, been all over Thailand in it and I would buy one again if I wanted another pick-up truck, but I don't, I decided to get a small SUV, Mazda or something like that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Exactly, people that thinks one brand is superior is likely a brand bitch or below average intelligent.  

Totally silly to be a brand bitch, what have that particular company done for you? Provided a good vehicle for x years? Sure but other brands can do that as well, so don't be silly, it's not like they invite you on holidays or bought you a steak dinner, LOL. 

My Ranger from 2013 have been flawless, been all over Thailand in it and I would buy one again if I wanted another pick-up truck, but I don't, I decided to get a small SUV, Mazda or something like that.  

Folk in LOS with any sense buy reliability, they buy Toyota or Isuzu, the same as the company  fleet  buyers, who don't want gizmos, they want the ride on the road, day in, day out.......????

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, transam said:

Folk in LOS with any sense buy reliability, they buy Toyota or Isuzu, the same as the company  fleet  buyers, who don't want gizmos, they want the ride on the road, day in, day out.......????

Totally nonsense post, why do you think they are more reliable than other brands, huh?

Ranger is the best selling truck in Australia in 2021, so they must must have done something right, doubt they would sell many if they spend most of the time in the garage getting fixed!

People down there are really using them hard in very hot conditions sometimes.

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/vehicles/best-selling-utes/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Totally nonsense post, why do you think they are more reliable than other brands, huh?

Ranger is the best selling truck in Australia in 2021, so they must must have done something right, doubt they would sell many if they spend most of the time in the garage getting fixed!

People down there are really using them hard in very hot conditions sometimes.

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/vehicles/best-selling-utes/

So the Ranger is now the best selling truck in Aus, eeeeeer, I am talking about decade's long KNOWN reliability from Toyota and Isuzu.

Reliability is only known after YEARS of production and ownership, but, if you like the go faster stickers , great.....????................................????

17 minutes ago, transam said:

So why aren't the fleet owners using them...?

The companies I have worked for purchased pickups mostly on price.  There was usually a minimum spec and requirement for dealer / service support.  Reliability was not a particularly big factor because there has not been a huge difference between the major brands in the last decade or more.  Some brands focus on fleet sales more than others and offer low price for the appropriate spec.  Some just don't have the dealer network to compete.  

The dominance of Corolla taxi's in Thailand is a good example.  The Civic or Mazda 3 are superior cars in many ways but Toyota cater to the taxi requirements better.  

On 1/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, transam said:
On 1/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Yellowtail said:

Absolutely, only a fool would buy anything but a we-go.  

A "we-go", is that another Chinese offering...?

Excuse @Yellowtail, it's called a 'we-wo' nowadays.

I reckon the MG Expander is the new dogs gonads.

fugly.jpg.1b608633f9081f274571dcdef86e5fc5.jpg

• Haha 1