Trump may turn to Giuliani again to defend against impeachment

webfact

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

i wouldn't say never.  i expect politicians of any stripe will do what politicians do.

i suspect if the glove had been on the other foot, if trump had been extolling the virtues of masks, there would have been "resist 45'ers" making dramatic anti-mask speeches and marches for respiratory freedom.

really no point in posting individual actions, we'll just have other members posting examples of what guy on the other team have done in the past.  trump supporters will be lining up with links to stuff democrats have done.

I disagree.  People who believe the science behind masks, global warming, vaccinations (Trump has expressed doubt about vaccinations in the past https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-vaccines-autism-links-anti-vaxxer-us-president-false-vaccine-a8331836.html ) etc. would not have turned anti-science if Trump had expressed faith in science.  They would have been less anti-Trump.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Here's another MAGA congresswoman flouting the rules.  She should be banned from congress.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/12/lauren-boebert-guns-congress-security-stop/

Lauren Boebert causes holdup at U.S. House security, refuses to turn over her bag

GOP congresswoman calls metal detectors a “political stunt”

Members of Congress are allowed to carry guns elsewhere in the Capitol complex, but not on the House and Senate floors. Boebert suggested on Twitter on Tuesday that she had a gun with her that evening.

Why is it I have a feeling this is the one that actually gets her gun out at the capital and uses it...

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Shocker, Trump to stiff Rudy!  Seriously, is anyone surprised by this?  We on TV actually predicted this....55555

[President Donald Trump is reportedly taking out his frustrations on his personal attorney and longtime friend, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani. And he’s doing it in the classic Trump fashion: by refusing to pay him.]

[The Washington Post said Trump is trying to stiff Giuliani, who has spent the past months traveling the country and spreading wild conspiracy theories about the November election on behalf of the president.]

[Citing two unnamed officials, the newspaper said Trump has not only refused to pay Giuliani’s legal fees but has told aides that all reimbursement requests for travel and other expenses need to go through him.]

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work_n_5fffa763c5b6c77d85ecbe46

Trump not paying his bills? There's a real shocker.

This is from the original article:

"Trump has instructed aides not to pay Giuliani’s legal fees, two officials said, and has demanded that he personally approve any reimbursements for the expenses Giuliani incurred while traveling on the president’s behalf to challenge election results in key states. They said Trump has privately expressed concern with some of Giuliani’s moves and did not appreciate a demand from Giuliani for $20,000 a day in fees for his work attempting to overturn the election."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-isolated-impeachment/2021/01/13/0595675a-55b6-11eb-a931-5b162d0d033d_story.html

Perhaps the reported falling-out between Trump and Giuliani means Giuliani won't be on hand for Trump's impeachment trial... well, at least, not as one of his representing attorneys.

However, the potential list would seem to be getting shorter and shorter, as Trump has become more and more toxic in the wake of his Capitol insurrection. Most attorneys probably won't want to come anywhere near him.

Perhaps Texas AG Paxton will be available.  ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Shocker, Trump to stiff Rudy!  Seriously, is anyone surprised by this?  We on TV actually predicted this....55555

[President Donald Trump is reportedly taking out his frustrations on his personal attorney and longtime friend, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani. And he’s doing it in the classic Trump fashion: by refusing to pay him.]

[The Washington Post said Trump is trying to stiff Giuliani, who has spent the past months traveling the country and spreading wild conspiracy theories about the November election on behalf of the president.]

[Citing two unnamed officials, the newspaper said Trump has not only refused to pay Giuliani’s legal fees but has told aides that all reimbursement requests for travel and other expenses need to go through him.]

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work_n_5fffa763c5b6c77d85ecbe46

Good luck with that! Giuliani surely knows where dead bodies are hidden, and he's not the type of guy to be screwed without retaliating.

47 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Trump not paying his bills? There's a real shocker.

This is from the original article:

"Trump has instructed aides not to pay Giuliani’s legal fees, two officials said, and has demanded that he personally approve any reimbursements for the expenses Giuliani incurred while traveling on the president’s behalf to challenge election results in key states. They said Trump has privately expressed concern with some of Giuliani’s moves and did not appreciate a demand from Giuliani for $20,000 a day in fees for his work attempting to overturn the election."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-isolated-impeachment/2021/01/13/0595675a-55b6-11eb-a931-5b162d0d033d_story.html

Not an unusual tack for Trump.  He's done this many, many, many times in the past.  Horrible person.  But I feel no sadness for nut job Rudy.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, candide said:

Good luck with that! Giuliani surely knows where dead bodies are hidden, and he's not the type of guy to be screwed without retaliating.

How many times I have read a similar comment in the past year, and I have seen any dead bodies been dug up or falling out of a closet yet

1 minute ago, Susco said:

How many times I have read a similar comment in the past year, and I have seen any dead bodies been dug up or falling out of a closet yet

I believe he means that metaphorically and there is the example of Michael Cohen. He couldn't be bought off by Trump with the prospect of a pardon because he was convicted in a state court.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps the reported falling-out between Trump and Giuliani means Giuliani won't be on hand for Trump's impeachment trial... well, at least, not as one of his representing attorneys.

However, the potential list would seem to be getting shorter and shorter, as Trump has become more and more toxic in the wake of his Capitol insurrection. Most attorneys probably won't want to come anywhere near him.

Perhaps Texas AG Paxton will be available.  ????

Paxton will probably be indicted himself shortly..

Bad optics, but that's never stopped Trump in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Ya ever hear of Michael Cohen? Giuliani would be the corroborating witness.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J Town said:

Ya ever hear of Michael Cohen? Giuliani would be the corroborating witness.

Of course I have heard about Cohen, and my comment was because when Cohen got charged, the same comments were posted.

Fact is that Cohen got convicted, but I'm not aware of any dead bodies that have surfaced

6 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Paxton will probably be indicted himself shortly..

Bad optics, but that's never stopped Trump in the past.

Indeed!

PS - In Paxton's case, he's already been indicted in the past in the case that's yet to have been resolved, and apparently remains under investigation in a separate, subsequent case.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/ken-paxton-protest-austin-texas/269-e2b17eb4-002f-43a1-bc71-b5a712e51f26

As both the Trump and Paxton examples prove, it's very difficult to impose sanctions/legal remedies against entrenched politicians, even for clear-cut wrongdoing, in the current hyper-partisan environment.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:59 AM, webfact said:

President Donald Trump may turn to Rudy Giuliani to defend him against possible impeachment over his role in last week’s violent siege of the U.S. Capitol, according to two people familiar with the matter.

If that's true then trump is <deleted>

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Of course I have heard about Cohen, and my comment was because when Cohen got charged, the same comments were posted.

Fact is that Cohen got convicted, but I'm not aware of any dead bodies that have surfaced

Well, Cohen did ultimately cooperate and disclose information about Trump, conveniently let his recordings be found, and published a book. It may not have had much impact, but it wasn't good for Trump either.

Unlike Cohen, Giuliani knows a lot about what Trump did as a President, and may have information about abuse of power, treason, etc.. His main problem is that it may be difficult for him to talk without incriminating himself

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, Cohen did ultimately cooperate and disclose information about Trump, conveniently let his recordings be found, and published a book. It may not have had much impact, but it wasn't good for Trump either.

Unlike Cohen, Giuliani knows a lot about what Trump did as a President, and may have information about abuse of power, treason, etc.. His main problem is that it may be difficult for him to talk without incriminating himself

PLENTY of dead bodies where "Individual 1" was referenced. If Giuliani corroborates Cohens testimony, "Individual 1" is screwed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, candide said:

I don't follow those stories in detail, so I was aware of the book, but not if he had much spilled the beans on Trump.

I recall he shouted from the high roof, and they all will cooperate to get reduced sentences, but as you say in your last sentence, when start talking they can';t avoid incriminating themselves, because they are all criminals as that is the main reason Trump knew them