Thai blood donations plummet over coronavirus infection fears

snoop1130

Thai blood donations plummet over coronavirus infection fears

By Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng

2021-01-13T111641Z_1_LYNXMPEH0C0QX_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-BLOOD.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A supporter of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra donates blood during a gathering in Bangkok March 16, 2010. REUTERS/Sukree Sukplang/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's Red Cross Society appealed for people to give blood on Wednesday as donations hit a record low, with volumes collected halved amid public concern about getting infected with the coronavirus.

Thailand is fighting a second wave of infections after an outbreak found a month ago among migrant workers, which led to cases more than doubling to 10,991 and reaching more than half of the country's provinces.

The government has urged people to stay home until the outbreak is contained, while universities and companies that normally host blood drives have put donation programmes on hold.

"This is most intense crisis ever," said Piyanun Kumkrong, assistant director for donor recruitment at the National Blood Centre.

"Usually we get 2,200 units per day," she told Reuters, adding that the centre had received just 394 units on Wednesday because donors were concerned about being infected with COVID-19.

On average, donations have been down by 700-900 units.

If the trend continues, hospitals will have to postpone surgeries outside of emergencies, Piyanun said.

The centre in a statement said it did not have enough plasma for 340 hospitals in Thailand. It is appealing on social media for people to come forward and donate blood.

"Plasma donations are needed urgently for surgery and paediatric patients with blood diseases such as anaemia, thalassemia, and haemophilia," the centre said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-13

41 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

ILE PHOTO: A supporter of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra donates blood during a gathering in Bangkok March 16, 2010.

Red blood.

Interesting photo choice and caption for Rooters, a photo of an anonymous arm but put those details in. 

13 hours ago, rott said:

Perhaps they will now accept blood from people over 70.

Do not hold your breath as a rare Blood Group they will not even accept mine .Even though my Mother gave up to her 80th birthday in the UK. Thailands problems is of its own making , rules made years ago still stand . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Do not hold your breath as a rare Blood Group they will not even accept mine .Even though my Mother gave up to her 80th birthday in the UK. Thailands problems is of its own making , rules made years ago still stand . 

I read on here a while ago about a man whose operation was held up because of a lack of A neg blood. This is my group so I made a trip from the Nakhon to Bangkok only to be rejected by the boss woman at the Red Cross. 

I was not pleased and neither was she when I made my feelings known. 

He did get the blood anyway. 

• Like 2

Like many others here in Thailand I have repeatedly been turned down for donating even when in my late 60's, ok so I only have common O group but ....
I have a friend who is group A and cannot be offered a transfusion, even from the local govt. hospital or Khon Kaen, which she needs due to excessive blood loss.

I worked for some years in Saudi back in the 80's and every 3 years when applying for an extension of my driving licence one had to donate blood, with the obvious exceptions of course.

• Like 1