Okay given for Bt300 foreign tourist entry fee

webfact

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

What a silly response, I make the point that if in the same situation regarding my country, I can understand why the Thai people would not care too much about those unwilling to pay 300 baht, hence, they don't want us here is probably correct on this occasion

You tell me Thailand is not my country well done you one part right

Thai Gov't economics reminds me of the old childhood rhyme.

Wack down 300 or 3 million baht..as you please..

"Big fleas have little fleas

upon their backs to bit 'em

and little fleas have littler fleas..

and so on-ad infinitum..."

But enough of the humour...

Edited by Odysseus123

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Indeed.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Thai Gov't economics reminds me of the old childhood rhyme.

Wack down 30 or 300 baht..as you please..

"Big fleas have little fleas

upon their backs to bit 'em

and little fleas have littler fleas..

and so on-ad infinitum..."

But enough of the humour...

Yes we all have our little anecdotes

I lived for while in Earls Court London

We would drink in the local pub and try to guess the nationality of the customers

AU and NZ were easy, always sat at the side of the table away from the bar, and always last to buy a round

I can understand why 300 baht may trouble them ????????

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah the little digs ..Aussies and Kiwis eh?

Please-let's round this up and let "Jolly Hangmon" and "OldHippy" at least get a laugh in.

Only too happy to leave for now, you know what they say 'misery loves company' I'll let you guys get on with it

7 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

i agree total greed as usual by the Thais..rob tourists a bit more .. tourism is already dead here stuff like this just helps to knock the nail in the coffin a little more .. Thailand is no longer the Country of choice far better and cheaper places ..just sayin 

So go !!! just sayin', go to some other flee pit country without the infrastructure because you are sobbing of being diddled for a whole of 1o bucks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

So go !!! just sayin', go to some other flee pit country without the infrastructure because you are sobbing of being diddled for a whole of 1o bucks.

Ah Thailand!

It's temples.

It's enlightened democracy.

It's infrastructure.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I appreciate your love for Thailand and your concern that the $10 increase in ticket price will adversely affect the economics of traveling to Thailand   

but if as you say, there is already 700 bht tax in the ticket price  and itself  it did not affect  arrival  rates  , why would you think that increasing  the ticket $10 more it will have a negative affect. 

Again, this is not about a few more bahts, it is about where the money will end up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Again, this is not about a few more bahts, it is about where the money will end up.

I was under the impression that those would be funds to address the shortfall to the national health care system caused by uninsured and underfunded tourists getting sick or injured in Thailand.

Is it the claim, that there are already sufficient taxes included in the ticket to address the health care shortfall ? If that's the claim I am afraid I can't have an opinion on that as I am not as well versed on the complexities of the Thai government operating budget as those who make such claims. All I can say is that such increase will not financial affect me at all, and I am pretty sure it will not affect the vast majority of tourists or expats traveling here. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed, an additional $10 is not going to have any negative impact on anyone visiting Thailand.

However, a couple of years from now I am sure we will still be reading stories on ThaiVisa.com of Hospitals complaining about short-falls due to foreigners who left without paying millions of baht in medical bills. 

On ThaiVisa the response will be ‘what ever happened to the 300B fund ?’.... in the two years since the instigation of the fund ‘some’ will become very rich.

If there is an investigation, a few officials will be moved to ‘inactive positions’... and as there is no money to pay for the hospitals fees left by absconding uninsured tourists there will be a debate for a year or two about whether or not all foreigners should have insurance before a committee decides that all foreigners entering Thailand be charged another nominal fee to cover those poor hospitals. 

No doubt that could be right, and probably will be, but that would be on them not us.

But as of now I can only react to what is happening now, and for me , as I am sure for you also, $10 is reasonable ,  incosequesial and not worth wasting breath over. Personally and I am sure for the vast majority of posters here, if next time we buy an airline ticket the price is $10 more, I dont think anyone of us will notice and wonder what "happen did they raise the taxes?" 

. That's the only point I was trying to make. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If the only point you want to make is ‘its only $10 and doesn’t really have any impact on an individual’...  of course, its only $10.. big deal...  but thats missing the point of the general objection people have. 

And what is the 'general objection' Richard that we should disagree with any payment we make where the government takes revenue in tax and we cannot control how it is distributed? Well good luck with that one as you guys travel the world.......oh wait....you probably would not get on a plane

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

And what is the 'general objection' Richard that we should disagree with any payment we make where the government takes revenue in tax and we cannot control how it is distributed?

The ‘general objection’ is been repeated endlessly on this thread alone - you have responded to the posts I have made on previous pages outlining such objections while you repeat ‘its only $10 not a big deal’.

The objection is: In an inherently corrupt system foreigners are being targeted to fill the government coffers from which those making the very decisions will skim and personally profit. 

No, I don’t have proof that this will happen. However, anyone failing to recognise this as a firm possibility is extremely naive as to how prevalent graft is within Thailand - thus, the distaste I express to such policies has nothing to do with the amount, but what will really happen to the monies been asked of Thailand’s visitors. 

Well good luck with that one as you guys travel the world.......oh wait....you probably would not get on a plane

Expressing distaste of such policies is somewhat different to the hyperbolic exaggeration you suggest above that implies someone has to wholeheartedly agree anything a country does before we are prepared to travel there. Thats simply a juvenile and flawed attempt to ‘point score’ and is completely irrelevant to the discussion. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you suggest the government attempts to fill the shortfall in the medical arena Richard, monies lost in unpaid bills left by tourists, but possibly covered previously by the now almost extinct 'medical tourism'?

You think the Thai public should pay for a drain on their hospital funding caused by tourists, a society where subsistence existence is common. I feel that would be grossly unfair. you feel the Thai public should pay to facilitate tourists then pay the same entrance fees, are you guys for real you really expect the Thai public to subsidise your trips to Thailand rather than pay 300 baht!!

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Ah Thailand!

It's temples.

It's enlightened democracy.

It's infrastructure.

It's many affordable women

It's many affordable HJ's

It's many affordable massages

It's many affordable soapies

It's many affordable dentists

It's many affordable hospital visits

It's ...........

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ‘general objection’ is been repeated endlessly on this thread alone - you have responded to the posts I have made on previous pages outlining such objections while you repeat ‘its only $10 not a big deal’.

The objection is: In an inherently corrupt system foreigners are being targeted to fill the government coffers from which those making the very decisions will skim and personally profit. 

No, I don’t have proof that this will happen. However, anyone failing to recognise this as a firm possibility is extremely naive as to how prevalent graft is within Thailand - thus, the distaste I express to such policies has nothing to do with the amount, but what will really happen to the monies been asked of Thailand’s visitors. 

Expressing distaste of such policies is somewhat different to the hyperbolic exaggeration you suggest above that implies someone has to wholeheartedly agree anything a country does before we are prepared to travel there. Thats simply a juvenile and flawed attempt to ‘point score’ and is completely irrelevant to the discussion. 

what country can anyone can tell with  any sense of certainty what  politicians will do  with taxes? Why single Thailand? 

Personally Id rather see taxes making a politician rich , than killing people in other countries. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, sirineou said:

what country can anyone can tell with  any sense of certainty what  politicians will do  with taxes? Why single Thailand? 

Because this forum is not called ’OtherCountryVisa.com’... 

We’re participating on forum designed for discussion about Thailand on a specifically Thai related topic. 

To answer your question; the 'Corruption Perceptions Index’ indicates there are 100 other countries which have better oversight and transparency. Of course, there is no certainty, but there is elevated probability the decision is firmly influenced by the potential of the decision makers to profit. 

Personally Id rather see taxes making a politician rich , than killing people in other countries. 

I’d rather not see either. You could provide hundreds of 'either or’ agreements... 

I’d rather see taxes making a politician rich than going to unnecessary submarines !!! 

Realistically, I'd rather see a transparent system with full oversight whereby such policies are announced for genuine good and not for those decision makers to profit.

Again: of course there is no proof that the intention of these decision makers is to profit from this policy, there never is any proof until they are caught, then moved to inactive posts. 

Lucky for you Richard all the thousands of baht paid when negotiating the quarantine process are fully transparent and above board otherwise your principles may well have prevented re-entry ????

That will be another point to the flawed juvenile will it?

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Totally inflamatory racisit remarks penny pinching never ends in Thailand cancel cultural / Antifa would be proud ... 

Money going to the tourist fund..... Sounds like this article is saying,, Money will be used to bail out the boys. 

How much will go to the Koh islands mafiosi. 

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Lucky for you Richard all the thousands of baht paid when negotiating the quarantine process are fully transparent and above board otherwise your principles may well have prevented re-entry ????

That will be another point to the flawed juvenile will it?

Do you really believe that expressing an opinion on this forum equates to a refusal to travel ???? 

I certainly dislike the idea that almost undoubtedly back-handers were paid by ASQ hotels to be awarded such status - does that mean I refuse to travel back to my family ??????  Of course not, that suggestion is downright stupid. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same way other governments deal with it - swallow the cost (like the UK) or insist that tourists enter with a adequate insurance (EU)... or continue to implement policies which already exist !! (see below).

I am in agreement with a a policy which insists all visitors have medical insurance. 

You have made a lot of statements regarding ‘what I think, what I feel and what I expect’ - these are your statements not mine.  No one subsidises anything I do in Thailand, with the taxes I have paid here in the past, it could be argued that I and many other foreigners have been the ones doing the subsidising, yet, you have continued to miss the point and are clinging on to the 300 baht figure, in doing so deliberately missing the point... 

My statement is that I find such a policy to be an obvious cash-grab by the decision makers - it is for this reason I find it objectionable. 

--------

If we are to discuss how the short fall should be made up, I would ask ‘what short fall’ ??

Government hospitals dual-charge foreigners, it is legalised policy and justified as covering the shortfall of those foreigners who’ve avoided bills - there is a 3 tiered dual pricing system in place for all foreigners at government hospitals.

Private hospitals do not treat people without insurance or a means to pay. 

The ‘claims in unpaid bills’ most certainly do not have the ‘profits from dual charging’ subtracted - selective accounting makes for a great headlines and you fall for those headlines while government officials see no reason to correct them as it opens the door for some ‘creative’ ways to skim more money.

Now, look at the additional taxes all these tourists brought in: 7% GST - where does this go ?

The UK government absorbs ha ha ha you are joking Richard taxes or VAT will go up or both

I give up........ why? because after all the bullshirt from you guys who are making all the noise about not paying, you will still pay, as Thailand is value for money. So in all reality all your 'accusations' to 'support' your stance will prove to be redundant. You will pay as you did for your quarantine Richard, then conveniently move on to churn out the same old rhetoric about the government while still putting money into it.

• Sad 1