Okay given for Bt300 foreign tourist entry fee

webfact

5 minutes ago, Lingba said:

so people who have insurance have to pay for others who don't...another scam

In all the years i've spent in Thailand and the times i've had anything to do with the medical system it's either been money up front or cash before you leave, normally in the form of visa or master card..... I've never left the house without one of those cards in my pocket......    That particular lie of all these unpaid medical bills was to bring in "Thai"  health insurance to scam more off tourists...... or should i say Farangs.....    I found out the hard way years ago when i woke up on a gurney in a corridor of dead bodies in the police hospital at erawan, i wasn't carrying a card and there was very little in my wallet. I'd gone through a taxi front window after a head on collision and the driver was dead and i was just wheeled into the nights death toll and left....... It was funny when i came to, sat up covered in blood and walked down the corridor and out of the front door, it was like something out of Frankenstein complete with people scurrying out of the way........It seems life does have a price.......   Scams ? welcome to SE Asia........  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

That particular lie of all these unpaid medical bills was to bring in "Thai"  health insurance to scam more off tourists

No it's because too many people have been traveling to Thailand without having any insurance and skipped their medical bills when they can not pay. Are you that saying all foreigners are honest? What planet are you from?

3 minutes ago, khunkarl said:

No it's because too many people have been traveling to Thailand without having any insurance and skipped their medical bills when they can not pay. Are you that saying all foreigners are honest? What planet are you from?

You can't get any healthcare in Thailand anymore without paying outfront at the moment !  This not for making up these costs from the past.

8 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Well, whatever you are happy with. It is indeed an individual choice to agree or disagree. But it certainly sends out the wrong signal. Not because of the amount, but the audacity and stupidity of it. They should encourage people to visit the country by wooing them, and not making them feel like they are being fleeced already upon entry. I am quite sure that they will spent enough during their stay to compensate the paltry 300 Baht. Thailand already has a reputation of being xenophobic with a government endorsed double pricing policy. And this will certainly not help in getting rid of that image.

People still don't understand the nature of the beast...... It starts with 300, then 500, then a thousand........  It's called greed, and it's all over every decision this lot's making........ They're filling their pockets for when the show closes down...... 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm far from a rich man but 300 baht is not going to have an effect on me, however there will be a cumulative benefit for Thailand

I don't begrudge 300 baht in these hard times

There is already a tourist departure tax baked into the flight cost. This used to be paid separately at the airport. This is just double dipping, and the usual Thai strategy to raise prices in a downturn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm far from a rich man but 300 baht is not going to have an effect on me, however there will be a cumulative benefit for Thailand

I don't begrudge 300 baht in these hard times

The Generals would love you lol

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

i have travelled in and out of Thailand loads of times and never had to pay this 500 baht.

never even heard of it

The 500 baht used to be paid on departure, you bought a ticket from a machine before going to check in.

When they opened the new airport in 2006 they never moved the machines from DM and you had to pay at check in, it was cash only and caused absolute chaos. 

Physical payment was stopped shortly after and included in the the flight ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, khunkarl said:

Planet Earth.......  Can you use any other health insurance other than a Thai one in Thailand ?   I've been in loads of Thai hospitals, there's no skipping out of the door........ That's just Thai Gov Propaganda....   In my country Thai tourists are treated just like a national, they don't have to pay a penny....... How about that ?        Think about it, how can you skip in a foreign country carrying a passport travel document ?    Er, unless you're 007, forget it....... 

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'm thinking he is referring to uncovered costs to Thailand coming directly out of this fund. If anybody thinks they are actually going to get an insurance card or some sort of benefit for coverage when they enter Thailand, prepare to be massively disappointed.

Exactly. People should think twice before making wild accusations.

This could very well end up a much better alternative to a mandatory insurance requirement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The 500 baht used to be paid on departure, you bought a ticket from a machine before going to check in.

When they opened the new airport in 2006 they never moved the machines from DM and you had to pay at check in, it was cash only and caused absolute chaos. 

Physical payment was stopped shortly after and included in the the flight ticket.

Yeah that's right, they stopped it because the money was falling into too many pockets before it hit the top thief......

Skimming tourists? Or will this turn out to be a compulsory entry skim for all?

Thailand has a very poor image on the skimming/scamming front already.

Yes it's proposed at only 300 baht, about €8.65 or £7.50 

But tourists should clearly see they get something useful in return, like free emergency treatment at government hospitals. I recall there was talk of a compulsory insuance fee on entry to cover emergency treatment as so many came without travel insurance. A vague mention of this here but only an unspecified share to generally help cover the cost, not a specific scheme of emergency treatment cover. Without that this fee will just disappear in to government coffers without accountability There was also talk of ending the practice, unacceptable these days, of 2 tier entry fees at attractions but posts here suggest it is still going on, another skim/ scam.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Well, whatever you are happy with. It is indeed an individual choice to agree or disagree. But it certainly sends out the wrong signal. Not because of the amount, but the audacity and stupidity of it. They should encourage people to visit the country by wooing them, and not making them feel like they are being fleeced already upon entry. I am quite sure that they will spent enough during their stay to compensate the paltry 300 Baht. Thailand already has a reputation of being xenophobic with a government endorsed double pricing policy. And this will certainly not help in getting rid of that image.

Oh please the 'wealthy' by comparison, tourists, are already getting great value, mostly at the expense of low paid Thai workers, why should they not contribute further to the Thai economy?

You feel you are being fleeced in Thailand!!! Even a guy on a base pension is pulling way more money monthly more than the average rural Thai, and paying no tax on revenue.  I suggest you and the other moaners get a grip, look around, and please before you feel you will be fully sheared, if you can afford it yes go elsewhere!!!

The time has come to either appreciate what Thailand offers or do one!!!

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Completely agree, if they had just added it to the price of the ticket and kept quiet, nobody would have noticed the $10 increase. 

If the government is collecting the fee in cash, it will be turning away tourists very quickly. Standing in line before or after immigration, is not really how most people want to start a vacation or business trip. Word gets around on social media fast.. 

But the thought process is still mind boggling.  Who would make it even more difficult to visit?

$10 will the effect of turning away tourists ??? That's funny - joke of the year.

1114 tourists in the first 11days. That's an average of 101 a day. This equates to an annual figure of approximately 37,000 for the whole year but let be optimistic and say 100,000. Being that most of the worlds population is on reduced income due to the affects of the pandemic. I cannot see anywhere near the 10 million hoped for. Maybe things will pick up in the second half of the year when more people have been vaccinated. But at 300Bt a pop it is not going to be a cash cow for anyone.

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Oh please the 'wealthy' by comparison, tourists, are already getting great value, mostly at the expense of low paid Thai workers, why should they not contribute further to the Thai economy?

You feel you are being fleeced in Thailand!!! Even a guy on a base pension is pulling way more money monthly more than the average rural Thai, and paying no tax on revenue.  I suggest you and the other moaners get a grip, look around, and please before you feel you will be fully sheared, if you can afford it yes go elsewhere!!!

The time has come to either appreciate what Thailand offers or do one!!!

Well, after reading that i've come to the conclusion that the individual writing this must be living in a padded cell and has never seen Thailand or the shenanigans that Thai history is drenched in......  The only reason Thai workers are paid so little is due to the individuals who i cannot name.......     I can only suggest certain people get outside a bit more .......    I do hope i havn't upset the mediator....... I could of summed my response up in one word......  It rhymes with tight and it's smelly and sticky........

• Like 2

Why don’t they just approve better visas for longer stays that you can buy for 6-12 months or more and included in that and every other type of visa is a charge of 500-1000bht that gives everyone who has bought a visa a decent coverage for medical expenses. Over the years this fund would only increase and its a win win for everyone from tourists , hospitals , immigration and government. 
It’s not rocket science but yet they seem to avoid doing the best and most obvious things on purpose to make out they are smart ! 

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Well, after reading that i've come to the conclusion that the individual writing this must be living in a padded cell and has never seen Thailand or the shenanigans that Thai history is drenched in......  The only reason Thai workers are paid so little is due to the individuals who i cannot name.......     I can only suggest certain people get outside a bit more .......    I do hope i havn't upset the mediator....... I could of summed my response up in one word......  It rhymes with tight and it's smelly and sticky........

Oh now the 'tourists' dislike the way Thailand has been run, but still manage to put that aside and exploit the situation, I get fed up with the double pricing accusations it is those people who are removed from reality, more so those who would complain about a 300 baht charge

Please stay away don't touch what it appears you no longer want to afford!!!

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

The Generals would love you lol

Well I feel fortunate that Thailand has allowed me to visit and enjoy Thailand for what it is, full of kind generous people with their own unique ways and attitude to life.

I do not come to change Thailand, Thai people will make their own way, I'll just enjoy the ride. And a 300 baht charge for every time I arrive will not interrupt my journey