Okay given for Bt300 foreign tourist entry fee

webfact

7 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm far from a rich man but 300 baht is not going to have an effect on me, however there will be a cumulative benefit for Thailand

I don't begrudge 300 baht in these hard times

A measly ten bucks for 'promotion' as well as insurance. Only an imbecile will complain

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The constant repetition of insulting state sponsored schemes to rid tourists of money just becomes tiresome.

Thailand is seriously hurting due to the absence of international tourist yet complete imbeciles are still trying to figure out ways to scheme more money from the very people it wants to attract. 

So often I’m astonished by the outrageously flawed mindset of those in positions who come up with this stuff. 

When I read news such as this I draw the opinion that Thailand doesn’t deserve tourists, but sadly it is the general population who would be hurt, while those in positions of power dream up more schemes from which to graft and skim funds.

..next they will re-introduce the old 'departure tax' as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What a scam!!! Why don't they charge the hotels, restaurants,  7/11 And the Thai people in the tourism area. They are the ones who make the money from the  tourist. Don't forget the taxi, bus drivers and the Tuk Tuk. What a scam!!! Next they will charge another 300 bht for security from the jet ski rental guys lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would not say that 300 THB is a huge money. But this action would not help in the dramatical increase in the number of tourists in Thailand. Especially, when the Thai tourism industry has got no support in the past years.  I believe, however, it is not a bad income for some people here. 

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

You still pay that exit tax but they make the airline collect it, in fact they increased it well beyond the old 500 Baht level, can't remember what it is now though.

At least you don't need to stand in line to pay it any more.

i have travelled in and out of Thailand loads of times and never had to pay this 500 baht.

never even heard of it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fondue zoo said:

we need a 'Calm Down' reaction emoji for some of the people who reply to other people's posts    ????

or for those whose blood pressure is rolling up to dangerous levels over the possibly fatal extraction of 300 baht

8 hours ago, webfact said:

as well as insurance for foreign tourists during their stay.

So how about info on what type of insurance this will provide foreigners from the 300 baht entry fee. IF this is true then it is a good move, but it's a big IF I fear 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Economics 101 basic stuff we learned in high school: When demand is way down drop prices way down to encourage more business. 

Thai economics: When demand is way down charge more money to compensate for losses. Never mind that way less people will pay. 

Seriously, who the F wants to come to Thailand when the government keeps inventing reasons to stay away? I sure as hell wouldn't come here again as a tourist. 

The days of "Land of Smiles" are wayyyy over. 

To the uninitiated first time tourist to Thailand who will be unaware of the various levels of money extortion the 300 baht will be of little concern . Tis only when you get to know the country and along with the deserved cliche       " Money Number One "  that it becomes annoying .  Sadly the importance of money is deeply ingrained  within the Thai culture and comes before family love as many an expat has found out to his cost .

This 300 baht will mean nothing to the 2 week millionaire sex tourists who lets face it make up the majority of the Thai tourism .

This is a country that thrives on corruption and us expats are knowingly contributing by being here .

By The Nation

800_99904680db88ba3.jpg?v=1610630128

Tourism and Sports Minister Phipat Ratchakitprakarn (Photo credit: Thai Government)

The National Tourism Policy Committee has approved the Tourism and Sports Ministry’s proposal to collect a Bt300 fee from every tourist entering the country, said minister Phipat Ratchakitprakarn on Thursday.

The online fee will become effective once the measure is published in the Royal Gazette.

The money collected will go to the tourism promotion fund.

Phipat said the fee would help fund management and development of Thai tourism, as well as insurance for foreign tourists during their stay.

The next step is for state agencies to draw up details of the fee collection.

About 10 million foreign tourists are expected to visit Thailand this year.

Meanwhile the committee also viewed the status of the Special Tourist Visa (STV) scheme, which came into effect in September last year.

As of January 11, a total of 1,114 tourists had entered Thailand on STVs, with another 123 set to arrive this month.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30401251

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-15

Define "tourist" ....... and would it include tourists from ASEAN Countries?

1 minute ago, superal said:

To the uninitiated first time tourist to Thailand who will be unaware of the various levels of money extortion the 300 baht will be of little concern . Tis only when you get to know the country and along with the deserved cliche       " Money Number One "  that it becomes annoying .  Sadly the importance of money is deeply ingrained  within the Thai culture and comes before family love as many an expat has found out to his cost .

This 300 baht will mean nothing to the 2 week millionaire sex tourists who lets face it make up the majority of the Thai tourism .

This is a country that thrives on corruption and us expats are knowingly contributing by being here .

Oh My Lord. Don't start crying !!! Fact : the 10 million coming are cuming for tenderness. Fact: Money is king everywhere.

1 minute ago, Tonypandy said:

So how about info on what type of insurance this will provide foreigners from the 300 baht entry fee. IF this is true then it is a good move, but it's a big IF I fear 

I think this maybe to provide a fund that covers tourist medical payment defaults, thus an 'insurance' that hospitals will get paid

Phipat said the fee would help fund management and development of Thai tourism, as well as insurance for foreign tourists during their stay.

Don't believe that that will Replace ones Insurance.

For Sure  they will still want one to have an Covid + Travel  Insurance to Enter Los.

This beggars belief. First of all how are these 10 million tourists going to get in - why don't they tell us that? And secondly, why penalise them if they are giving Thailand their business? Talk about NO CLUE on reputation management. I can hardly believe it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Look at the fine print on your airline ticket some day.  If they added 300 baht to the price of a ticket, the vast majority of the taxes collected would still be going to the USA, UK, etc.

I don't worry about the $10.  It's how they're going to collect it.  They should make it part of the ticket price, and not a fee that has to be paid separately.  Just for convenience sake.

And they should have just kept it quiet.  Nobody would have even noticed a 1-2% increase in the price of an average R/T ticket to N. America, Europe, etc.

Completely agree, if they had just added it to the price of the ticket and kept quiet, nobody would have noticed the $10 increase. 

If the government is collecting the fee in cash, it will be turning away tourists very quickly. Standing in line before or after immigration, is not really how most people want to start a vacation or business trip. Word gets around on social media fast.. 

But the thought process is still mind boggling.  Who would make it even more difficult to visit?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i have travelled in and out of Thailand loads of times and never had to pay this 500 baht.

never even heard of it

From February 1st, the international departure tax from Thailand's airports has increased to 700 Baht – make sure you've got some spare cash when it's time to leave the country. ... There is no need to keep 700 Baht to pay the tax at the airport – it has already been included in your flight cost.

Does that help you ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

Tourist promotion fund. Heck, nothing like charging more to tourists to build your tourism sector. I love it.

That is standard in many countries. Most cities in the USA fund projects like convention centers, tourism infrastructure, promotions through special taxes on hotel stays or restaurants. 

Just look at the breakdown of your hotel bill in New York or any other city.. Some taxes have creative names so you have no idea what they are being used for.

$10 won't kill anyone, if collection doesn't require standing in line for hours. Adding to the ticket price is the quickest way

• Like 1

Its 300 baht get over it...yes it has a bad ring to it...andbthey can just include that in the visa fee for preapproved tourist visas and have that for visa on arrivals as an fee. And have it as a temporary scheme until this crisis is over.

But I doubt Thailand will have 10 million tourists this year...yeah they have started vaccinations but we don't know how effective it is yet...

34 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

never even heard of it

Its in the air ticket price, there should be a line item called Outgoing Passenger Tax or something like that. 

It has been in effect for around 20 years and used to pay in cash at outgoing immigration. Started at 500 baht then a few years later raised to 800 or 1000 baht or whatever it is now.

So stupid is this tax, the Thais were themselves ashamed to ask (demand) outgoing passengers to pay this before departure (yes I saw a lot of surprised <deleted> off tourists at the airport when they were told they had to pay to leave) so they made the airlines charge this to passengers and add to the price of the ticket.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

But there is moaning and there is discussion Richard

How many commenting here understand the financial structure of Thailand, the tax revenues, the fact the VAT still remains at 7%?

Let us not get confused Richard, the majority of negative posters on this thread are not 'discussing' they are moaning and complaining about a 300 baht charge and making the usual ridiculous predictions that tourism will 'suffer' when the reality is they are accustomed and conditioned to complain about any price rise!!

well said. discussing is ok and should done, but the constant yippedeeyep moaning is destructive.

I cant understand how anyone seriously can get upset about a 300 baht fee for tourists. most fees i understand. The only dual pricing that i deeply opose, is the dual pricing in hospitals, where even dual national children with a Thai passport, have to pay the expensive farang price. Like James Brown says "THAT AINT RIGHT!"