Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

I don’t know about the rest of the world but it is pretty well impossible to get a flight from Australia to Thailand even if you were keen to be in quarantine 

if you were able to get a flight it would be very expensive and the chance of returning within a year would be unlikely 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Check out airfares as well. They have tripled,quadrupled or more for economy class seating, because tourists can't be crammed into aircraft like sardines anymore. Tourists are now better off spending their tourist cash at home.

Qantas has floated the concept no-one can get on their aircraft unless they have been vaccinated, how long before other airlines have the same requirement? And how long before every potential tourist is vaccinated?

For any Tourism to return back to what was a pre Covid state, the Vaccines will need to be in place for at least 18 Months to gain a World " Herd Immunity ".

Even with all this, there will still be a large number of Tourists that will not Fly, or are just too plain scared still of contracting Covid, specially in Countries that are not quite standard with Health Care Etc.

My estimate would be a 50% return of Tourism Globally, but not for 3 Years 

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I wish I knew what you were talking about??? 

Yes you and your friends don't want to pay for quarantine. This forum.is a spec in the ocean. Now country's will soon allow travel and there are plenty that will pay. Moan about your own nest 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yes, you are right, my dream since I was a kid, and the way I imagined holidays, was to spend thousands of dollars for overpriced accomodation, at 3 times the rates of Agoda/Booking.com, and most importantly, to do solitary confinement for 14 days. Prison, in that respect, is better, because inmates are allowed to mingle with the general prison population some hours a day.

https://moneyinc.com/10-prisons-that-are-nicer-than-most-luxury-hotels/

9 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Yes you and your friends don't want to pay for quarantine. This forum.is a spec in the ocean. Now country's will soon allow travel and there are plenty that will pay. Moan about your own nest 

You have little or no idea do you? You assume too much! Was the cost of quarantine mentioned anywhere?

So they wonder why nobody wanna stay there. Did you check the hotel website?

Rates in Phuket start from 2600€ for 14 days quarantine. And you need to book on their website because i can't find any room available on booking websites if you wanna come to Thailand soon.

And websites like booking.com give a warning that you need to have an essential reason to stay there or booking will be cancelled on arrival.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, starky said:

Not true at all and if that was the case it would be returning to your country of origin. I have a home here but I am neither pr or a citizen. Are you? So if you are coming here on any sort of visa what is the "home" where you could self quarantine and how far is it from the airport you arrive at?

I recently flew from Germany to the UK and back during the LOCKDOWN period, before leaving Germany I had to fill in a form to say where I was staying in the UK (this form was done on line and had a copy, was not even checked upon arrival in the UK), upon returning to Germany the same (filled out a form at Passport control, they kept it). No hotel, no app, nothing. From Heathrow to my address in the UK was 2 1/2 hours, stayed at my mums house, and even went shopping. From Arrival airport in Germany to my house about 30 minutes used the train and tram to get to my house.

Also I have homes in Nonthaburi and Sattahip, but not looking to travel to Thailand as the cost for myself and my family including Quarantine is too much, we would be staying in both locations if we came.

Edited by beano2274

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

He certainly wouldn't object. He is from Belfast and returned to the UK the day the first lockdown started and has regretted that ever since.

You comment however is ill informed, there is no requirement to have had a vaccination, think you mixed up with a test.

Bearing in mind it takes 3 weeks for the vaccination to become effective, very little chance that anyone yet that is fit to fly would have a valid certificate.

I stand corrected , test not inoculation  .  Do you know if tests are easy to come by and what is the cost ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Not true at all and if that was the case it would be returning to your country of origin. I have a home here but I am neither pr or a citizen. Are you? So if you are coming here on any sort of visa what is the "home" where you could self quarantine and how far is it from the airport you arrive at?

Oh and I could not self isolate, in England was with my Mum caring for her, and doing her shopping, and in Germany had to take my Daughter to Kindergarten everyday and also do the shopping as my wife could not.

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Get it through your heads, NOBODY wants to sit in a quarantine hotel for two weeks!

And they are not illiterate ... They read about how Falangs are treated ... Double standards with double pricing .. 

48 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yes, you are right, my dream since I was a kid, and the way I imagined holidays, was to spend thousands of dollars for overpriced accomodation, at 3 times the rates of Agoda/Booking.com, and most importantly, to do solitary confinement for 14 days. Prison, in that respect, is better, because inmates are allowed to mingle with the general prison population some hours a day.

Nobody cares if you don't go. This is bottom feeder end 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it will go this way...  Anyone travelling needs to show a vaccination certificate* - Airlines will require this on checkin as they are responsible for the return flight should a passenger be refused entry. 

*this certificate could come in the manner of an international recognised App with a simple display of our Covid status and vaccination status. Or it could be something as simple as the existing yellow-booklet which holds vaccination records (usually used for Yellow fever for those travelling into certain countries in Africa).

Spot on! ????

I frequently disagree with your posts, but this time, I and several other TVF members have,  in various threads, said exactly what you said above.

I got my yellow and blue books (the later ones were blue) out the other day, and surprised myself with just how many shots I had for travel in the 70s - 80s.

Doctors recommended, countries insisted, we travellers took - simple. 

But...... there were no conspiracy theories telling us they were dangerous. I lurrvvve the Internet, but sometimes.......????

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Whaow.... Thailand is one of the only counties in the world with a close to zero rate of infected. Where did you get your info??? Reading the rest of your poetry I wonder if you have ever been anywhere in Asia or get your wisdom out of some magazine.

What!...have a look around you..every market here has wildlife, crustaceans from the jungles, fields etc, the same bat genre, the same herons and cranes that carry the bird flu viruses. Thailand is very compliant but have done very little testing..go figure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Correct, no one wants to but should you wish to return to Thailand as it stands there's no other option.

Stupid for tourists to come i agree but for long term expats with families at the current time there's no other choice.

I just sit in Singapore in a quarantine hotel. They offer food 3x a day, but !!!

I can order just as normal external Food, Drinks, any just as normal living in the house/apartment.

Which tourist want to sit 2 weeks without a beer for dinner and want to eat that overcooked but at the room hand warm rice, veggie and chicken every day? I don't know how more bad the food will be in the Thai hotels?

I meanwhile can't see after one week any of the free food and give it mostly complete back. 

Bought my Bread, egg, marmalade etc for breakfast and have frozen food to heat up in the microwave or order from time to time outside food beside my beer or wine.

I can't understand that puritan thinking about the alcohol of this government. Nobody can explain for what this is good for.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TSF said:

I think you're right on this. I wouldn't be as harsh as saying "Cheap Charlie", but the indications are that the budget travel boom days have finished and probably won't return anytime soon. Even with successful vaccinations there will still be additional (costly) travel requirements, and far less people on flights. In all likelihood, for the next few years at least, people flying will be doing so for work, business, official purposes, rejoining families, and not for a week holiday in Phuket or Bali.

They are all stupid. They feel it's there right because they talk <deleted> on forum. That they should march in with there 20k baht. Well you still can. But pay or shut up. They don't want to pay. In Australia you don't choose your hotel. I'm lucky l can leave. The 45 day exempt is new people will come it's evident by the desperation on this forum. Thai delights that are 6 steps away 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, TSF said:

They just can't accept the fact that tourism isn't going to happen again until the bulk of the world's population has been vaccinated and global covid levels drop significantly so that international borders freely open again and quarantine is no longer necessary. 

and that's going to take the full 2021 to achieve this,

by then, all tourism infrastructure will be destroyed

so 2022 is the earliest,

imagine if we didn't have a vaccine, that could have lasted another 20 years of lockdown

like the black plague in Europe,

• Like 1

The UK has now vaccinated over what......3 million now ?

Zero vaccination certificates issued.

Zero apps.

All over the world vaccination has commenced..........tens of millions of people.  And no vaccination certificates have been issued.

Can you not get that into your heads........all you "vaccination certificate" freaks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

It is surprising that people are so slowly waking up to the realization that vaccination certification is the future of international travel. By this summer, no airline will be accepting unvaccinated passengers, and no country will be accepting unvaccinated non-nationals. I thought this was glaringly obvious six months ago but, apparently, it still hasn't occured to most people.

Thailand will do fine. Plenty of people who missed out on their usual short breaks last year will celebrate the end of the pandemic by taking a longer, more exotic vacation in 2021. Thailand, despite all the faults that we here are so familiar with, will be at the top of most lists. Most people have earned a lot of money during the Pandemic and are eager to get out into the world and spend some of it.

In the longer term, the nature of office work has changed forever. Some people are eager to get back to office life, but more want their post-pandemic lives to be different. Businesses have been forced to develop systems to allow their staff to WFH, and many workers will take advantage of the new flexibility by choosing to travel and live in other countries while they work. Again, Thailand will be a top destination.

Many more commercial vaccines, such as the one-shot Johnson & Johnson, will become available in the coming months. Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated, it should be possible for anyone to buy vaccination for a few hundred euros rather than wait a further six months for a tax-funded freebie. That is when you will start to see countries such as Thailand swapping their testing and quarantine requirements for a simple vaccination requirement, followed by the airlines returning to full capacity and dropping the mask requirement.

The rest of this decade will be wild, The Roaring Twenties, and Thailand will be a prime beneficiary of that.

Absolutely agree with all of that! ????

Many people who routinely travel to far-off places have been unable to do anything like that for almost a year. I shall have saved myself a planned trip to Europe and one to USA last year, both obviously postponed, PLUS my winter in Thailand this year. Funds are there, desire is there, vaccine should hopefully be, for me, in the next 3 months.

Then the only thing holding me back will be regulations in various countries.

As far as air fares go, I took a quick look last week, and I reckon that from UK-Thailand and back fares haven't increased significantly but I haven't checked other routes.

When Thailand opens the doors by relaxing restrictions to vaccinated people, many airlines will resume their schedules with a few "special offers" I imagine.

And your last point is very interesting: after the Spanish Flu abated in 1919 https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html came the so-called "Roaring Twenties"

Apparently (and I post this not as scientific fact but to illustrate my point) at that time there was a "Sexual Revolution" https://digitalcommons.brockport.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1006&context=hashtaghistory presumably because people were making up for lost time! 

If that were to occur, Thailand would indeed become a prime beneficiary...all I can add is "bring it on"! ????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

and now they want to charge future prospective tourists an extra 300 baht entrance fee on arrival..

Good job, Thailand.

Sounds like a watertight plan to me ???? 

Probably is, but no water in sight. Oops! 

9 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Bears repeating.

Can you believe they had this brilliant idea that they would have live bands you could watch from your balcony?  I mean really, that awful music playing boom boom boom in your room while you're trapped?  

The most idiotic idea I have ever heard of in my life.  

And it all went downhill from there.  

The scene in titanic where the band carries on playing comes to mind ! ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

The UK has now vaccinated over what......3 million now ?

Zero vaccination certificates issued.

Zero apps.

All over the world vaccination has commenced..........tens of millions of people.  And no vaccination certificates have been issued.

Can you not get that into your heads........all you "vaccination certificate" freaks.

UNTRUE.

I was out walking with a friend yesterday when he got an email from a mutual friend.

The "MF" and his wife, being in their 70s have just had their first Covid vax. He sent a scan of the NHS-issued card showing personal details, type and date of first vax, empty box for the second vax details.

35 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Nobody cares if you don't go. This is bottom feeder end 

It seems the almost bankrupt businesses in the tourism industry care.

You said "plenty will pay". 300 arrivals a month or whatever is not "plenty".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

UNTRUE.

I was out walking with a friend yesterday when he got an email from a mutual friend.

The "MF" and his wife, being in their 70s have just had their first Covid vax. He sent a scan of the NHS-issued card showing personal details, type and date of first vax, empty box for the second vax details.

That is an appointment card for the 2nd jab so the old people know what date to go back.

You also get a similar card for a dental appointment..........its called an appointment card

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, VBF said:

Spot on! ????

I frequently disagree with your posts, but this time, I and several other TVF members have,  in various threads, said exactly what you said above.

I got my yellow and blue books (the later ones were blue) out the other day, and surprised myself with just how many shots I had for travel in the 70s - 80s.

Doctors recommended, countries insisted, we travellers took - simple. 

But...... there were no conspiracy theories telling us they were dangerous. I lurrvvve the Internet, but sometimes.......????

Agree completely. In some African countries they still ask for the yellow vaccination book..

• Thanks 1