Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't know, never asked, asked about the vaccine last time and he just said not yet.

Obviously I do not know your friends circumstances, but you have to be registered at a government hospital and I doubt any would consider registration just on the basis of a test.

When I want the flu jab I have to see the doctor, he prescribes it, I pay for it, collect it from the hospital pharmacy and take it to a nurse to be administered.

I also have to see the doctor for other reasons, I have to get a letter if I have any procedure by a different practitioner that would involve blood loss.

Some hospital services may be more available to regular patients than those off the street so to speak. 

Will ask the next time I see him.

She works for the Thai Government Bank! LOL

15 hours ago, VBF said:

As I said (again), wait and see - that article is now a month old, so revision is (IMO) likely.

And as @TSF said  "Not correct, those people's medical records, including vaccinations, are stored in the hospital/doctor's records. So if/when they need proof of vaccination they can get it easy."

Don't forget that this is (still) a largely unprecedented situation. When I get called, I'm going to take my Yellow / Blue book and ASK for the vac to be logged. If not, it will probably be shown on one's NHS Health Record - here's a screenshot of part of mine:

Immunisations

14 November 2020 10:59 am

Administration of first inactivated seasonal influenza vaccination

Thing to remember is that the majority of people won't need or want any proof of vaccination. All those old folk in age care, or just old folk at home, doubt any are making travel plans so they have no need for any proof. So for now it's really going to be the frequent travelers who will need to show proof, plus some people who'll require it for work purposes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

She works for the Thai Government Bank! LOL

I didn't actually mean that kind of circumstances, but that being the case she would be in a health scheme at a particular hospital. Still doesn't shed any light on why no test, government hospital policy or some restriction due to the health arrangement.

As far as I am aware, if there are no symptoms everyone has to pay and I know the Thai health arrangements can be quite complicated in some respects.

5 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Despite some animals are living and eaten here, the population eating it, never died of it, nor get infected a lot. I think I spent more time than you will ever be capable of doing in what you call ' up country' areas.... Never got sick eating there.... I would also add that if the local food was that dangerous to eat,you mentioned rats, but didn't mention to eat, there wouldn't be any locals left since long....The regions you mention, like China, are used to wearing masks long before it was ever mentioned in Western world; I think it is YOU who should protect yourself more. Maybe you forgot, or are not aware, horses are also food in large parts of Europe.....Not Wikipedia source, experience.....

..i listen and adhere to proven Western medical information concerning bacterium, viruses, parasites and fungi..happy travels.

Thailand is mostly a cheapo beach holiday destination to western working class singles and families with 7, 10 or 14 days prefabricated cattle package. Very few rich tourists come to Thailand to buy some luxury product with 2-3 times the price that of in London or Paris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand can vaccine everyone on Samui and Phuket and at the airports. So tourists can fly in and transfer to the island.  Then they can have their travel bubbles. Tourist just can't leave those islands.

And what about the workers who work on these islands - some who commute back to the mainland cities like Bangkok ? WIll they just bring the virus back with them. 

No such thing as a bubble. 

42 minutes ago, longway said:

Not a single rebuttal of any point I brought up. Go ask the experts why Thailand can have, quite literally, millions of chinese tourists traipsing around for months after the virus started to be spread, then have 100s of 1000s pack themslves into buses and travel home all around the country and neighbouring regions, and none of this seemingly cause any large scale spread of the virus. I would love to know how it is possible, given what happened in Italy and other countries.

Asking questions and thinking by yourself are not bad traits. Unquestioning obedience to people in authority is a bad trait.

Can you imagine if Thais are largely immune? It would be wonderful, and help millions of people get back on their feet again. You have your own selfish reasons for liking the status quo. 

How can anyone want to discount investigating this possibility? it beggars the mind, given that it is a plausible explanation given the thai government's missteps when the virus first emerged, and can the amount of good it can do. How can anyone not feel fustrated that no-one is looking into explanations on why the effects of the virus are so much milder in se asia and africa, despite some of places pretty much carrying on as normal.

Para 1. I don't agree with any of it and I know what the experts have said. Rather listen to them than you.

Para 2. Just because I listen to experts and don't prescribe to your view makes me give "unquestioning obedience to people in authority? Get real.

Para 3. Thais are not immune. There are 51 countries with a lower death rate. Are they all immune, too? Maybe you should research your own claims.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

Para 4. Not necessary. See above. 

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Para 1. I don't agree with any of it and I know what the experts have said. Rather listen to them than you.

Para 2. Just because I listen to experts and don't prescribe to your view makes me give "unquestioning obedience to people in authority? Get real.

Para 3. Thais are not immune. There are 51 countries with a lower death rate. Are they all immune, too? Maybe you should research your own claims.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

Para 4. Not necessary. See above. 

you have not presented any evidence from a single expert. What exactly is it you diagree with? What is my view? You dont even make any sense. 

Your link undermines your position and sterngthens my argument. Death rates are low in other countries too, esp africa and se asia, and thats despite not really doing anything at all. For example, Tanzania barely took andy measures at all, and it is basically on par with NZ who have isolated themselves from the rest of humanity. No, I dont think Thais are unique, but there is something going on that could mean Thailand doesn't need to destroy itself with these restrictions, what's not to like about looking into it?

This is not stuff to ignore. it should be looked at urgently. what's to disagree?

Edited by longway

On 1/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, beano2274 said:

I recently flew from Germany to the UK and back during the LOCKDOWN period, before leaving Germany I had to fill in a form to say where I was staying in the UK (this form was done on line and had a copy, was not even checked upon arrival in the UK), upon returning to Germany the same (filled out a form at Passport control, they kept it). No hotel, no app, nothing. From Heathrow to my address in the UK was 2 1/2 hours, stayed at my mums house, and even went shopping. From Arrival airport in Germany to my house about 30 minutes used the train and tram to get to my house.

Also I have homes in Nonthaburi and Sattahip, but not looking to travel to Thailand as the cost for myself and my family including Quarantine is too much, we would be staying in both locations if we came.

Yep no hotel no app nothing probably why the UK is in the state it's in mate.

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I sound like a broken record here, but...

People just aren't flying, regardless of whatever crackpot scheme they put on to a slick PowerPoint presentation.

I work for an airline. Domestic load factors are running at about 30-50% of what they should be, and thats on a flight duration of a couple of hours.

So tourists, and I mean real tourists not the sexpat or folks trying to get back to family, are gonna say; "Hey thats a great deal. I'm scared shi*t**less about that one hour flight to xxxx, but hey, sign me up for 18 hours to Thailand" What are they thinking?

Then there are the airlines. Half the worlds widebody aircraft are parked up in the desert because, surprise surprise there isn't any demand. Now may come as a shock to some, but flying aircraft next to empty means they lose money, and lots of it.

Domestic air travel will rebound first, that will be the precursor to airlines looking at reinstating international routes to a pre covid level.

So my prediction is that we will be recycling various versions of this story for the next 12 months

I completely agree with you.

Now there are many who want to come back to Thailand for a long long visit.  I get that.  These people are different.  These are not the tourists that they are gunning for.  They are wanting  "in and out" tourists.  The kind of people who spend big $$$ on a relative scale.  The kind of person who stays for three months or so doesn't necessarily do this on the same level.

People are not flying at all.  It is very difficult to get in and get out of many countries.  The problems when you get home are tremendous.  Private transportation home, mandatory quarantines and who has bought your groceries for you?  Travel insurance that is only good for the duration of your trip (get covid during your trip and have to stay extra, those days are NOT covered).  The list goes on.

Good news is vaccines are coming.  Bad news is it may be a long time before anything turns back to normal.  I don't wish this on anyone, but I"m afraid it is probably going to happen.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

An incompetent, living in a cloud of delusion. TAT governor Yuthasak Suphasorn said that interest at all TAT offices abroad was intense and that the STV would start in October. "As soon as the STV news broke the London office had FIFTEEN calls," he said,"and there were SIXTEEN emails". 16 e-mails. Wow. How will the nation be able to keep up with that kind of demand? I suggest he try the 14 day quarantine, watch alot of movies and concerts, and then talk from experience, and tell us about the joy he felt. Green curry pizza would attract anyone. The tour agents are jubilant!

What can one say? Desperation is setting in. Heads are going to roll. Went to Samui recently. Utter devastation. 90% of the businesses on the beach road in Chaweng were closed, 80% in Lamai, and hundreds of hotels are closed and for sale, at half price. Trillions of baht are going to be lost here. Annually. Tourism will NEVER recover. Not in our lifetimes. Too much timidity. Too much cowardice. Too little juice and creativity. Such small minds.

Nonsensical stupidity. Lack of science. Fear mongering. Let us make your stay as uncomfortable as possible. And by the way, you cannot consume alcohol either, during your quarantine. Who comes up with this stuff, and why does the nation tolerate the nonsense, the utter incompetence, the malfeasance? How much longer will they tolerate the extremely regressive army?

No program requiring quarantine will work. What part of that do they not understand? Effective testing and vaccination, are the answer. 

31932.jpg

20200915_185814.jpg

20200915_185824.jpg

airport-coronavirus-gty-ps-200305_hpEmbed_23x15_992.jpg

31939.jpg

Dont always agree with your posts but, nonetheless, you are spot on here. I am also wondering when all this will come to a real head. The protests we have seen so far have, at times  been an eye opener but.....When is the knock on effect of this devastation really going to hit home? This country must be taking a massive hit, and the medium term at least also looks bleak, 

What will be the straw that breaks the camels back?

By the way, good pics, Cheers,

Edited by 248900_1469958220
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1