Thailand Sold Itself as a Paradise Covid Retreat. No One Came

rooster59

3 hours ago, starky said:

Done quarantine 4 times now twice work related and twice to come to Thailand many people have and done quarantine multiple times I guess it really depends on how much you want to be somewhere doesn't it?

Also depends on your financial situation. Are you wealthy?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

so what, my comment stands.

thank you.

The point is if they let the expats waiting to get back into Thailand,it would far outweigh the tourism numbers currently coming into Thailand,and let’s face it expats still spend money. Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Bears repeating.

Can you believe they had this brilliant idea that they would have live bands you could watch from your balcony?  I mean really, that awful music playing boom boom boom in your room while you're trapped?  

The most idiotic idea I have ever heard of in my life.  

And it all went downhill from there.  

True but, Thailand is a bottomless pit of idiotic ideas.

always a new belter, just round the corner. 

1 hour ago, starky said:

Was awesome for me but then again I stayed in 5 star accommodation had a menu tailored to my specifications and had the head chef checking in every couple of days to make sure the food was as expected. You would be second only to ThailandRyan as the most negative poster on this whole forum imo.

Talking about negative posters, there is one who is giving out saddo emoticans to everyone, all the time, nobody escapes him. Regular posters will know who I am talking about.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

There’s nothing in Thailand worth sitting in a 2 quarantine hotel for unless you are returning for your family.

That depends upon what you value, there are many pensioners in the west that would disagree with you.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Well if you have your own pool and courtyard in a private villa it's better than quarantine in 95% of the rest of the world.

Except it ain't a private villa... you're locked in with other people who've arrived from god knows where !

54 minutes ago, sitanonchai said:

Whoever comes up with these crazy ideas can only be a Thai. One would think they have a shortage of brain cells compared to other countries.

Is the Thai IQ not about 9% lower than the average western country?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Very true. I should be in line for the vaccine in a few months, so I might be able to come over later this year. I managed to organise a money transfer over to the UK with Bangkok Bank, so I no longer have a compelling reason to be there in that regard.

(I wonder if when countries do start to open up, vaccination might be a condition of travel?).

It already is.

Silly article. They didn't come because there own country banned them from leaving. Only certain people can leave. And they must fall into certain criteria. The only way you can leave in most countries is if your no longer considered a resident of the country that you hold your passport with. Once again Bloomberg need to look at other doors that were slammed shut. Fortunately for me l are a non resident of my country 

Edited by tomauasia

1 hour ago, superal said:

Plus the latest UK news is anyone hoping to return to the UK must show a vaccination cert to the airline before boarding and Thailand does not have any vaccine , so if your friend came to Thailand he would be trapped here .

He certainly wouldn't object. He is from Belfast and returned to the UK the day the first lockdown started and has regretted that ever since.

You comment however is ill informed, there is no requirement to have had a vaccination, think you mixed up with a test.

Bearing in mind it takes 3 weeks for the vaccination to become effective, very little chance that anyone yet that is fit to fly would have a valid certificate.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Except it ain't a private villa... you're locked in with other people who've arrived from god knows where !

Not the places I've seen but I accept there are exceptions

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

That's not the half of it.

You will need to quarantine when you get home too!  

There is no rationale to it.  

Understandably, they need to at least try to keep everyone happy but these guys have gone on to full on delusion over the last year.  

There isn't a single country on the planet who's tourism industry isn't devastated.  And there is no way out until the vaccine is widely available.  As all reports indicate, maybe 2022 - 2024.  

You need money time and the want. Cheap Charlie days are over

And why is that only a surprise to the various ministries of the Thai government but not a surprise at all to any expat or long term foreigner residing in The Land Of Silly-walks (and Silly-talks).  

I walked though area south of the moat in Chiang Mai yesterday and was thinking most of the time, "This is what a government induced Depression looks like and it's not even rolling in high-gear yet."

Destroy the small businesses which in turn can't pay rent to real estate holders who can't pay their mortgages.  When the dust clears the already super-rich (and getting richer by the day) will swoop down like carrion-birds and pick up real estate and fire-sale assess for satang on the baht.  You can see this coming a mile away.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spock said:

Also depends on your financial situation. Are you wealthy?

Well I'm not starving . Nor am I hiso. I am however quite comfortable. The discussion as far as I read the op is what would long term visitors do to return to Thailand?  in my case no amount of quarantine nor the cost of said quarantine entered into my decision to return . I realise on thaicheapy that the cost of everything is the biggest concern to a vast majority of posters. If that is your individual circumstance then returning to Thailand might not be your preferred option.

Edited by starky

1 hour ago, starky said:

Bwahahah no mate I can just afford to look after myself. It costs a minimum of 3800 aud to stay in <deleted>  australian accommodation where I dont get a choice so to pay an extra 1000 to get top flight accommodation in a country a love wasn't even worth thinking about. Hardly hiso mate. If you think a few thousand baht a day is "hiso" says a lot more about you than me champ.

f you are paying $4800 for 14 days accommodation in Thailand, I also think you are pretty hiso.

• Haha 2

Just now, tomauasia said:

Rubbish just being racist

Rubbish???? Would you mind backing that up? What about you telling me the difference between IQs for Thailand and other western countries, you don't have to be exact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beano2274 said:

in most countries you can quarantine in your own home and not a hotel that you have to pay for

Not true at all and if that was the case it would be returning to your country of origin. I have a home here but I am neither pr or a citizen. Are you? So if you are coming here on any sort of visa what is the "home" where you could self quarantine and how far is it from the airport you arrive at?

I have to question the numbers in this report. I checked out of a state quarantine hotel in Bangkok on 14th January, and flew to Phuket (no additional quarantine there). On that day there were 102 guests in the one hotel doing their quarantine, and of those, 95 were foreigners. Some will be returning for work and families of course, but others like me are here for a break. I believe that the attention grabbing headline that "No One Came" is a little distorted. Yes, there are many obstacles to getting here, but some people, for sure, have.

Still nowhere near the huge numbers needed to revive the battered tourist industry but it is not zero. In the meantime, this devastating lull has allowed the wonderful natural beauty of some very popular tourist areas to begin recovery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Rubbish???? Would you mind backing that up? What about you telling me the difference between IQs for Thailand and other western countries, you don't have to be exact.

I.would not even bother your not my type of man. And you should tell them.that face to face lol.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

f you are paying $4800 for 14 days accommodation in Thailand, I also think you are pretty hiso.

Bwahahaha your kidding right? Hiso in Thailand are multi multi millionaires they wouldn't even sniff at 4800 Aussie. Especially not for quarantine.