Expats may need to take COVID-19 test in order to renew extensions of stay: Richard Barrow

Jonathan Fairfield

10 minutes ago, thedemon said:

image.png.ddd4828ca11880752b8a4ea7ca7956da.png

I believe that the confusion come from the English translation of the above. "Have residency in Thailand"  does not refer to living in Thailand, it is actually Immigration speak for "be granted permanent residence"

Extensions of stay do not require any medical checks or certificates but applications for permanent residence do have that requirement. There is a list of diseases that a PR applicant must be certified as free of and it looks like Covid-19 has been added to that list.

The Immigration Act only mentions the word disease in 2 sections; Section 12 which deals with entry to the Kingdom; and section 44 which deals with permanent residence. These are the same 2 sections that Richard Barrow refers to.

So in reality it will hardly affect anyone. To enter Thailand as a foreigner already requires a Covid test. When PR applicants have their medical check done at a hospital, they don't necessarily do blood tests for each of the listed diseases and I would imagine it will be the same once Covid is added to that list.

You are right on who this applies to, but just wanted to point out that during my check (at Police General Hospital) they did x-rays, blood check and urine check. Last one was intimidating... with at least 4 cameras pointing at you at the loo. All that I talk to who went through the PR application process had the same experience. So at least most of the time they do the check for all of these. I guess they'll just add 3500 or whatever baht on top and do COVID test as well. You're paying for these tests anyway, it's not like it costs government anything.

Jesus, stop this ridiculous escalation, you idiots are just adding to the unnecessary panic, stop printing rubbish that "Might Happen" - FAKE NEWS and try and publish real facts - No wonder the world is in meltdown with this garbage! No doubt for 20 Baht you will get a "Certificate" from your local clinic (drugstore / crack dealer) to prove you are Flu / Common Cold /A bit of a Sniff/ Cough free....Jesus, when is this <deleted> going to end an people realise how much they have been duped? The biggest lie of the 21st Cwntury!

Edited by Formaleins
  • Like 2

Just now, tomazbodner said:

You are right on who this applies to, but just wanted to point out that during my check (at Police General Hospital) they did x-rays, blood check and urine check. Last one was intimidating... with at least 4 cameras pointing at you at the loo. All that I talk to who went through the PR application process had the same experience. So at least most of the time they do the check for all of these. I guess they'll just add 3500 or whatever baht on top and do COVID test as well. You're paying for these tests anyway, it's not like it costs government anything.

I was deliberately ambiguous about the PR medical check because from reading Camerata's PR thread I have seen reports that some applicants had to have their check-up done at a government hospital and that some were subjected to various tests, similar to what you recount. However when I did my PR medical in 2006, it was done at Vibhavadi Hospital which is private and I had no tests done at all.

Yes you might be right, perhaps a government hospital will insist on an actual covid test rather than just observing a lack of symptoms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

EVERYBODY is going to get CV19.  and 99.94% are going to recover just fine.  And then, they might get it again just like flu's, cold's, etc.

they are putting an ejection seat for people that get it?  What is this?  AIDS fear 1985 again?

You get a vaccination, you test positive.  So don't get a vax?

Most people I know cleared up their covid in just a few days.

This is nuts.  Time to get to Bali before they just pull the rug.

Honestly Richard B getting this in open is a good thing, because it will get huge negative attention for what it is.

BTW...is it only certain countries that are 'foreign'?  or all non-Thai?

You're posting false information.

"Everyone is going to get it." Not believable.

Your "recovery" percentage is pure unsupported denialist propaganda and also conveniently fails to mention to serious long term health damage suffered by a significant percentage of those that recover.

This kind of false information as above is not only moronic -- it is DANGEROUS. 

2 hours ago, my friend you said:

The PCR Test is not admitted for diagnostic purposes. It measures small virus fragments which may well result from a successful defence reaction of the body's immune system. So this PCR Test has a high rate of false positives. It is illegal now in Portugal and Bosnia to use it for diagnosis.

This is a complex issue which you've decided to mislead people by making it black and white. The courts say one thing. The medical scientific community another. Which of those is more logical to actually trust? Hmm. 

Covid PCR test reliability doubtful – Portugal judges - The Portugal News

2 hours ago, connda said:

Tried to have a discussion with my wife about this.  

Her response.  Stay at home.  You get Covid it your fault. 
Let me think about this.  Hummmm. When do I go out?  I don't unless I'm chauffeuring my wife.  My wife doesn't drive.

So I take my wife to BIg C, to the markets, to the stores, bpai tura and errands.  Other than that I've no other life. 

So my wife just told me.  "YOU GET COVID - IT YOUR FAULT."
Just like her government spouting the same. 
Dirty Farang.  We kick you out dirty farang. 

Ok.

Fine.
We used to have a phrase in the military - "Stand By."

I'm done.  That is the last I have to say.

Your wife sounds like a real pistol. 

4 hours ago, Call said:

Some 15.000 persons dies yearly in Thailand of AIDS, after receiving a virus called HIV.

So far 70 found dead of COVID-19!

That's irrelevant. 

The issue is that Covid-19 has the potential to kill exponentially more people than 15K per year in Thailand if it gets out of hand, as it has in many other countries, most severely the USA. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Let us hope you are right. Otherwise, it is just more insane xenophobic nonsense from this ridiculously notorious division of an extremely incompetent administration. 

As has already been mentioned, it sounds like this is probably an innocent interpretation due to yet another lost in translation moment. But maybe not. We shall see. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dialemco said:

If this is correct it is an admission Covid is very much present in Thailand and therefore not unreasonable. It should also include  requirement to be Covid vaccinated which vaccine unlikely to be readily available for some years.

Well it's clearly more present than the claims of no local infections no so long ago. I think your time line for vaccinations is overly pessimistic. My impression is that there could be widespread coverage by perhaps the end of this year of course. I think they should pay people to take it. Obviously not foreigners though. 

3 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

The way this stupidity is going anyone expecting a LIFE would be better off just looping a rope around the rafters and their necks, this ridiculous <deleted> has gone on for 1 year now, it just shows how spineless the world has become, shame on you all! People got off their <deleted> and fought tyranny 60 years ago, these <deleted>es are only interested in their "VIRTUAL WORLD" no idea of reality, the Millenials will destroy the Earth!

Can you tell this to the NHS workers in the UK please.  I am sure they will be more than happy to learm that this is all just one big joke/hoax

PH

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, anchadian said:
  • Star Member
  •  
  • ubonjoe
  • Global Moderators
  • 91,085 posts

The covid 19 rule has been in effect for some time now. That is why you have to get a test to enter the country.

The change to to section 12 of the immigration is for those entering the country for a temporary permit to stay is just a formality to allow immigration to deny entries.

The change to section 44 is only for those with permanent residency since the are not included in section 12.

I did a google translate of the royal gazette this morning read what is said and compared it to the immigration act.

It will have no effect on those staying here on extension of stay or who are already in the country on a visa or visa exempt entry and those with permanent residency.

A definitive answer I believe.

No need to worry thanks to Joe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

No medical certificate has been required for my marriage and retirement extensions in Korat/Buriram/Surin in the last 11 years. AFAIK a medical certificate saying you don't have any of those disease on "the list" is only required when applying for certain long-stay Thai visas in your country of origin.

I’m on a B visa with work permit. AFAIR I needed it for my last extension (as well as for the initial application process). Maybe that’s the difference. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I have found his writing to be generally brilliant. This information may turn out to be wrong, but I think it's outrageous to suggest that he would intentionally post false information as some posters have said. 

I would suggest that there is no malicious intent but it is vwry easy to misinterpret or mis-translate.  How many have been told that you need "Passport", when the actual requirement is for ID and a Thai Driving Licence is perfectly acceptable?

PH

There’s really no point to it if you’ve been here the whole pandemic. What if you were positive? What they don’t renew it lol? That makes no sense if you have been living in Thailand during the whole pandemic. Bottom line immigration is not currently doing this now I know for a fact because I just recently renewed my extension without one and it wasn’t even mentioned. But they are careful they were doing most of the paperwork outside it sucked. But they’re doing social distancing, they’re wearing masks and they are doing what they have to do to avoid the spread of COVID. But no COVID-19 test was required not yet anyway maybe they’re talking about stuff like that definitely for tourists obviously but no reason for it if you have been here the whole time. Especially if you have been careful as we have. 

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I understand the new law will come into effect by the end of this month. 

But apparently some foreigners already got asked for a Covid test when they went to get their visa extension. 

They’re not currently doing it I already went down there a few weeks ago. 

I knew this was coming. This country government is lower than dirty. I already have another country to move to. I am only waiting this thing out, but to call us dirty white trash and now demanding we take a test to renew our retirement visa is the straw I have been waiting for. 

Test your own people. They are the ones running around getting infected. The Expats are chilling. Don't pi ss them off, they just might stop providing charity support.  

Hey friends in Europe, this is not the retirement destinations you want to come too. See how they treat us. Just image how it will be when you come. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EddyGallagher said:

There’s really no point to it if you’ve been here the whole pandemic. What if you were positive? What they don’t renew it lol? That makes no sense if you have been living in Thailand during the whole pandemic. Bottom line immigration is not currently doing this now I know for a fact because I just recently renewed my extension without one and it wasn’t even mentioned. But they are careful they were doing most of the paperwork outside it sucked. But they’re doing social distancing, they’re wearing masks and they are doing what they have to do to avoid the spread of COVID. But no COVID-19 test was required not yet anyway maybe they’re talking about stuff like that definitely for tourists obviously but no reason for it if you have been here the whole time. Especially if you have been careful as we have. 

This means it’s illegal to ha COVID19 if you’re a foreigner. It’s forbidden. You could be detained, forced into a hospital, and eventually expelled. 

Of course, there is spirit of the law vs letter of the law. If they want to weaponize this, they have full authority to do so.

This is a big deal. 

regarding the first work permit, all the extensions  as well the swapping from companies or adding companies that worked for I have had for work permits since 2008 you are screened on many diseases during the examination and on the form the doctor sings off that you have non of them as specified under the appropriate acts that do apply. When asked me this kind of screening was already in place.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, spiekerjozef said:

I thought they kicked Barrow out already with his panic news.

Maybe they won't kick him out, they could wheel--barrow out and give him an award for coming up with an immigration cash making idea.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

The "prohibited diseases" list used to be part of the health certificate, needed when applying for an extension, long since abandoned

I got my first 1yr retirement visa for Thailand in OZ yonks ago, and had to get, a police clearance and a medical including a T.B. test. 10yrs later I got TB while in Thailand, it is very prevalent here, thats why i always avoided anyone wearing a mask before any Covid. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

FYI - I'm done with this nonsense.

Just like - Foreigner will be falling over each other to come to the Pearl Of South East Asia Mother Thailand because we are the center of the universe and every person in the world Love, Love, Love Thailand.

Then?

What did you get?  300 or 400 people show up.  Big Whoop.

You want to separate me from my family unless I have a vagina and I'm married to a wonderful Thai Man.

Ok.
Now I'm planning for it.
And again - Prayut.  You gonna take care of my wife, my son, and my family? 
No.  You're not. 

And there you have it you racist sobs.

Some hilarious over reactions in this thread.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 8:50 PM, jackdd said:

This order has nothing to do with extensions, this is just wrong information. How about some fact checking before sharing something?

It was also decided several months ago, as you can see from my thread to which you poster above linked, nothing really new here.

People like Barrow should stop spouting this nonsense, it could give the unelected "PM" and his soldiers some ideas, it is well known how much they dislike retirees, expats or whatever.

The next headline could be "Prayut Says There Will Be No Covid19 Tests Required For Those On Marriage Or Retirement Extensions", then we will all know that there will be.

40 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I got my first 1yr retirement visa for Thailand in OZ yonks ago, and had to get, a police clearance and a medical including a T.B. test. 10yrs later I got TB while in Thailand, it is very prevalent here, thats why i always avoided anyone wearing a mask before any Covid. 

I think many here would be shocked to know how wide spread TB is here.  It's BAD!

My friend got it also, but wasn't diagnosed with it until he got back to the US.  He had to isolate for months, with nurses going to his home to give him the jabs.  They didn't trust him doing it properly as it's such a drug resistant virus.

I guess it's really bad upcountry???

On 1/16/2021 at 10:13 PM, smedly said:

simple question - why

explain to me the logic behind this - there is none

There is not usually much logic behind anything that the unelected "PM" and his soldiers do, as ex army, they are at their best making up rules and giving out orders for their own enjoyment.

• Like 1