Expats may need to take COVID-19 test in order to renew extensions of stay: Richard Barrow

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Expats in Thailand may soon be required to take a COVID-19 test in order to extend their extensions of stay

simple question - why

explain to me the logic behind this - there is none

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saraburi121 said:

I hope my immigration office doesn't read this news.  What kind of new rules will they make up on their own now?

Its hard to believe what the exact ruling is, especially given the vagaries of the news sources and those that appear to not have fact checked. Hopefully the true version of the ruling will be cleared up soon.

It is becoming a popular control measure being introduced by many countries. Australia and New Zealand have just put up new rules. Negative test result max 72 hours before checking in for a return flight to either country. They are still only accepting citizens or permanent residents so if Expats on other type visas can get back in to Thailand, that is still a bit more of a relaxed rule.

5 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Its hard to believe what the exact ruling is, especially given the vagaries of the news sources and those that appear to not have fact checked. Hopefully the true version of the ruling will be cleared up soon.

It is becoming a popular control measure being introduced by many countries. Australia and New Zealand have just put up new rules. Negative test result max 72 hours before checking in for a return flight to either country. They are still only accepting citizens or permanent residents so if Expats on other type visas can get back in to Thailand, that is still a bit more of a relaxed rule.

I hope the rule doesn't apply to visa extensions but won't know until I do it next month. Even if an immigration law/rule is written clearly it can be interpreted differently at each immigration office.  In my province there is no 40K per month for a marriage extension only the 400k method, the office interpretation. Show them he immigration rules they don't look at it.  Folks coming from other countries to Thailand, yes that's a good idea. I hope its not another layer of stress to visa extensions. To those who have good immigration offices that follow the law, peace be on you!