Analysis - Trump's legacy: A more divided America, a more unsettled world

webfact

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

McConnell is hard core establishment. IMO he has been holding his nose the past 4 years, but is now showing his true colours. He'll be sorry if he plans to stand for re election though, IMO.

I thought that this time around but my fellow Kentucky voters followed their conservative Republican leanings. Bless their hearts ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The data says the risk of transmission from an infected person is reduced by 70% when a mask is worn. An uninfected person reduces their risk by 30%. From memory, that data is from The Lancet, which is hardly a conspiracy site.

It is also a fact Thailand has had an embedded mask-wearing culture for decades, due to air pollution. It also has one of the lowest COVID infection numbers, despite having more Chinese tourists in the year preceding the pandemic, 12.4 million. The USA only had 2.8 million.

What is it about cause-effect you find so hard to understand?

I don't know where you live in Thailand, but while masks were worn by many outside, where I lived it was by no means a majority.

The cheap masks they wore didn't stop viruses either.

Lower transmission in Thailand vs USA could be as simple as diet. Americans eat a lot of processed junk food. Americans are also apparently one of the most obese countries in the world which might have something to do with it. Also Thailand is hot year around, while the US is not. Many other countries also have high infection rates, despite lockdowns and mask wearing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The 2016 poll was indeed dodgy. 

Dodgy, but I do believe it was within the margin of error.  Many forget to take this into account when looking at the results.  Sadly, the talking bubble heads made things worse....LOL

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know where you live in Thailand, but while masks were worn by many outside, where I lived it was by no means a majority.

The cheap masks they wore didn't stop viruses either.

Lower transmission in Thailand vs USA could be as simple as diet. Americans eat a lot of processed junk food. Americans are also apparently one of the most obese countries in the world which might have something to do with it. Also Thailand is hot year around, while the US is not. Many other countries also have high infection rates, despite lockdowns and mask wearing.

Pretty much the only ones I see here not wearing masks are farangs.  Yes, the cheap masks aren't the best, but better than nothing.  And better than the bandanas and gators that Trump supporters wear to try and get away without having to wear a mask when required to do so.

Don't put down mask wearing. Please.  It's not helpful considering where we are.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah, he is gone for good, and so is his toxic family. He crossed the line one too many times, the D.C. riots, were the last straw for many, and Trump fatigue finally set in. Only his rabid base will stick with him now that he has been shown to be a major loser. And I predict he is returning to vastly declining fortunes, and much legal peril. 

Doesn't take much to turn voters against a politician. As I see it if Biden doesn't control corona very fast ( he's been telling us that he can fix it ) he's a gonner. Even if he does control corona, if he destroys middle class businesses with lockdowns, regulations and taxes he's a gonner. If he allows the far left to intrude on middle America with anti gun laws, gender politics, defunding the police, making it like California, IMO he's a gonner.

I'm waiting to see if he does raise taxes on the rich- somehow I doubt he will as he's not short of a dollar, is he?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

the donald's legacy?   ....Make America Grieve Again.

‘Shameful’: US virus deaths top 400K as Trump leaves office

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-pandemics-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-f6e976f34a6971c889ca8a4c5e1c0068

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You mean hot like Texas, Florida, and Arizona here rates rocketed in the summer when social distancing rules were dispensed with?

Politicians love rules and regulations as long as it's the minions that have to follow them. The common people don't. Short of locking everyone up physically I can't see the "rules" lasting the longer the politicians try to impose them. Nobody likes being treated as subjects, especially when the politicians don't follow their own rules.

• Like 1

Just now, Throatwobbler said:

Agree with that. Trump blew it with the invasion of the Capitol. He has lost too many centerist Republicans with that. They know he electoral dead weight now. Might win them primaries but not the actual election.

The 2022 elections will tell the truth. Till then it's all supposition and guessing.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't take much to turn voters against a politician. As I see it if Biden doesn't control corona very fast ( he's been telling us that he can fix it ) he's a gonner. Even if he does control corona, if he destroys middle class businesses with lockdowns, regulations and taxes he's a gonner. If he allows the far left to intrude on middle America with anti gun laws, gender politics, defunding the police, making it like California, IMO he's a gonner.

I'm waiting to see if he does raise taxes on the rich- somehow I doubt he will as he's not short of a dollar, is he?

Agreed!  Quite a mess Trump left for Biden.  All of his own making.

How about supporting Biden to help get this done rather than bash him?  It's the patriotic thing to do.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never thought I'd agree with anything you said, but that is what I, and many, think.

A few have come out and said they would vote to convict. I imagine the response to them from voters would be rapid and not favourable. IMO the only ones that could safely vote to convict would be those not planning to stand for re election.

Yeah, I'll be on Hell's hockey team before the Senate vote to reflect the interest of a majority of the electorate rather than self-interest.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That was a very significant statement.  If he supports impeachment, with the ultimate goal of removing Trump from the list of contenders for 2024, then this makes sense.  This has been suggest as the goal of Mitch.

he is blowing off donald's 3-ring military sendoff in favor of attending church with the biden's and other congressional leaders.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The 2022 elections will tell the truth. Till then it's all supposition and guessing.

At least you are still here so you are real. Most of the other ardent trump supporters who were first to post on all his threads had gone the day after the election.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Trump was the first president for decades that didn't start a war.

But he tried so hard to start the second American civil war, did'nt he. He may yet still get his way considering the radical base he has manipulated! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The 2020 elections told the truth.  Trump's out and Mitch lost his job.

Trump apparently said that if the senate didn't vote for the $2000 they'd have a death wish. He was right. Any with half a brain cell would have known that, IMO. What was MItch thinking? It's almost as if he wanted to lose the senate to the Dems.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

At least you are still here so you are real. Most of the other ardent trump supporters who were first to post on all his threads had gone the day after the election.

I think that's for reasons other than what you imply. Many hadn't been posting for a while before the election.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that I haven't been around for a while and it wasn't because I was suspended- self imposed. I just came back on to say farewell to Trump.