Analysis - Trump's legacy: A more divided America, a more unsettled world

webfact

23 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

As an American. He really didn't divide the country any more than all politicians are doing and those Americans who say concession is what is needed, when asked that to compromise on, they have little to no answer. Trump wasn't a great president, but he wasn't bad either; however, he was a poor leader He did great work with China and the middle east and he pulled the USA out of further conflicts around the world, which most people want. He did not believe that multilateralism is the correct way to go and he gets judged harshly on that end, but he did start to come around. He failed to lead on Corona which lost him the election. 

But truly, it takes 2 to tango and if you hear the other party, they are just as bad as Trump about dividing the country. They scream, "come together" but only under their party, and their terms. It amazing how often I hear from the left that put this republican in office and he or she will destroy America. I don't hole Trump in high esteem, but the division in America goes way beyond him. Those on the other side of the aisle - politicians, the media and leftists individuals are just as much responsible.

You really need a better source for your news. Turn off Fox, OANN and don't get news from social media.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Australia does.

Lol, no it doesnt. Read my other posts on this thread. Its only compulsory to register and attend to check your name off the list. After that you can walk out without voting,

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and yet........................ over 70 million people voted for him.

Seems the Democrat candidate was so bad, TWICE, that millions preferred an incompetent, vindictive, mentally unstable, misogynistic, homophobic, racist, traitorous egomaniac over them.

We've not had good candidates in years....from either party.  Stunning we can't find good ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

You have the right to vote, you don't exercise that right, enough said! I exercise my right to vote! This thread has'nt called for a vote!

I am not american so cannot vote there. Same as you. But you think i should not be participating in this thread, but you can.

Just now, Sujo said:

Lol, no it doesnt. Read my other posts on this thread. Its only compulsory to register and attend to check your name off the list. After that you can walk out without voting,

I stand corrected then. Bit pointless to attend the polling station and not vote though.

Voting IMO is a privilege and should be compulsory or lose citizen rights. People died to give us the vote. Not voting is disrespect to them IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What I cannot understand is his followers believing his every word and repeating the lies as if they were true !!

Maybe they themselves are prone to lying, so it is second nature to follow a cult leader who does likewise......a kindred spirit effect?

Lets ask the world what they feel about Trump exiting office. A collective big sigh of relief from international bodies to world leaders. Good riddance and good grief. 

https://www.news18.com/news/world/sigh-of-relief-as-international-bodies-await-biden-after-traumatic-experience-of-trump-administration-3081440.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/07/world/americas/biden-international-reaction.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

I am not american so cannot vote there. Same as you. But you think i should not be participating in this thread, but you can.

Wherever, if you have the right to vote, you exercise that right, not check your name of a list and cower away and complain, does'nt matter where you come from! 

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

We've not had good candidates in years....from either party.  Stunning we can't find good ones.

I've said many times on TVF that IMO the reason that good people don't stand for POTUS is the media. Had JFK been standing now he'd have been crucified for his apparent womanising, IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I stand corrected then. Bit pointless to attend the polling station and not vote though.

Voting IMO is a privilege and should be compulsory or lose citizen rights. People died to give us the vote. Not voting is disrespect to them IMO.

You've got something right! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Again brazil does not. Compulsory voting is a misnomer. No one is forced to actually vote.

Not voting, or not justifying your absence if in another place within Brazil and unable to attend your allotted polling station, will result in your social security number being null and void.

So no, no one is actually forced to vote, but sufficient negative consequences are put in place to make sure citizens make the effort to vote ( or justify ).

A lack of social security number means no state health care.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've said many times on TVF that IMO the reason that good people don't stand for POTUS is the media. Had JFK been standing now he'd have been crucified for his apparent womanising, IMO.

Bill Clinton got away with it.????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Maybe they themselves are prone to lying, so it is second nature to follow a cult leader who does likewise......a kindred spirit effect?

In my experience everyone lies. My wife was a champion liar.

I expect politicians to lie, so I go with their policies, and not with what they say.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They fought to give us the right to vote, or not. I think in iz they made it mandatory in the 1920's. But aborigines in the 60's?

But i do agree a much fairer representation in govt is to be had when people are basically forced to vote. It does lessen the impact of big pacs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not voting, or not justifying your absence if in another place within Brazil and unable to attend your allotted polling station, will result in your social security number being null and void.

So no, no one is actually forced to vote, but sufficient negative consequences are put in place to make sure citizens make the effort to vote ( or justify ).

A lack of social security number means no state health care.

No. You can attend and have your name checked then throw the ballot in the trash.