Notorised Copy of Passport

The UK embassy will only certify a copy of your passport if needed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copies-of-british-passports

You can have a translation service do the translation and then it would be certified by Department of Consular Affairs (DCA) of the MFA in Bangkok. Info here: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/ขั้นตอนการรับรองเอกสาร

They can also verify the signature of the consular officer that does your passport certification.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Thanks for your answers everyone.

@Ivor,  Do you remember how much the agent charged?

But they will not be able to get the UK embassy certification done. You can get that done by mail.

Many translation services can do the translation and get the certification done by the DCA for you.

You can also get the translation certification done by mail to the DCA.

Info in English here: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most Amphoes will want a certified copy from a embassy.

There is no difference A notorary is just certifying the copy is the same as the original  You show the original and copy and they  certify it.  I have had no problems with a notorised copy. That is what they are for,  Go and ask them.  OK I do not do Thai visas.

13 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

There is no difference A notorary is just certifying the copy is the same as the original 

The Amphoes consider it a certification of the passport when a embassy puts a stamp on it. Many will say it has to be done by an embassy when they tell people what i needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The Amphoes consider it a certification of the passport when a embassy puts a stamp on it. Many will say it has to be done by an embassy when they tell people what i needed.

This is exactly what Amphur Don Mueang told me.

I was hoping there might be an easier and cheaper option.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:45 PM, jaiyenyen said:

Thanks UJ. I'm thinking of applying for a yellow tabien baan. The local amphur (Don Mueang) said they want a notorised translation.

I got mine with  a copy certified by the Australian embassy and then stamped by the Thai MFA. The latter is the one they really want. They want to be sure it's not a fake passport.

I did not need a translation. But if your local amphur is telling you that, you almost certainly have to comply. They can get really difficult and start asking for birth certificates so they get your parents names which Thais need to provide for their blue book. 

Edited by Isaan Alan
added note about translation
  • Like 1