Thais seek to restore fortunes with mock funerals

webfact

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

I have seen a lot of absurd, mind-boggling things in my 30 years living in Thailand. But this bizarre ceremony - which by its very set-up is as far removed from Buddhist teachings as it can possibly get - always has been among my top favorites.

The only "fresh start" those "devotees" get in their lives is that they're leaving the temple with 100 baht less in their pockets. I am sure that's going to help them immeasurably when they're reflecting on their screwed-up situation like an adult.

Oh, they still will have to die one day, of course. And out the window flies the entire notion of "tricking death".  

Well, it's not that surprising when measured against the much beloved Thai habit of bestowing a 'nickname' on children almost as soon as they depart their host uterus. I was surprised to hear recently that the logic behind this is that the devil is waiting at every single birth so he can capture the soul of the newborn child which requires him to know the name. So they give the real name and then the nickname, confident in the knowledge that they are confusing  the devil.

They obviously think the devil is a Thai and isn't very smart.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why not? People in the west often pray daily to an invisible person who is the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. They also eat a wafer symbolising the flesh and drink communion red wine symbolising the blood. They sometimes leave a donation at the church.

Many of them go into a box and confess all their sins to a celibate man and are given some sort of punishment for committing those sins.

Only the methods are different between the east and the west.

I gave up on organised religion decades ago and IMHO, if doing stuff that makes people happy, then good for them. It does nothing for me.

I meant all that hocas-pocus, in the East, the West and every pace in between. 

• Like 2

Everybody seems to be bashing this but my first reacttion was i want to do it. lol Fun interesting experience for 100 baht, cant beat that. Not interested in a life changebut it sounds like an amusing experience. For the believers, if it makes them feel better, whatever works. They are not causing any harm and the temple isnt getting rich or taking advantage of desperate people charging exhorbitant fees. It is a good way to cement phsycologically a change in someones life path. Lots of people make new years resolutions for the same reason. Most fail to change but some can use that as a starting point for meaningful change.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A number of posts removed.

Please do not mock or ridicule Thai beliefs.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.