Exclusive: Proud Boys leader was ‘prolific’ informer for law enforcement

webfact

28 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Who in their right mind would publish this article, knowing the likely outcome of this information being widely known?

Forget which side of the political spectrum this guy was on, he was putting himself in danger by snitching. I am not naïve enough to think he did it out of the goodness of his own heart but he did provide a valuable service in helping authorities solve serious crimes. 

So why would journalists touch this story? Don't they understand that it may result in his death?

Talk about incitement.

A Marijuana grow house is a serious crime?

Looks like he did it for his own gain. Just another lowlife.

• Like 1

Most successful criminals are informants, look at Whitey Bulger, or at least, have an in with the police, Colin Gunn, springs to mind. No honour among thieves, as they say. Personally, I'm a bit puzzled as to how this whole thing passed me by, living, as I did, right next to the Bestwood Estate. Naivety, has it's value, I suppose. More likely, what happens in Bestwood stays in Bestwood.

5 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Actually prisons are full of snitches.  Almost everyone turns when a good offer is made for a reduced sentence.  

True but it rather depends on who he snitched on and their contacts inside the prison.  In any case I wouldn't want to be him, always looking over my shoulder.

8 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Actually prisons are full of snitches.  Almost everyone turns when a good offer is made for a reduced sentence.  

Most of them don't get it announced by the FBI on national TV, though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pedro01 said:

This isn't about hurt feelings is it? Surely you aren't that naïve. 

This is about a person being put in a violently dangerous situation because the press has a salacious story. It's also about future informants fears that the media may out their involvement in assisting authorities. 

No, he put himself in that situation by being a snitch. No one forced him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pedro01 said:

This isn't about hurt feelings is it? Surely you aren't that naïve. 

This is about a person being put in a violently dangerous situation because the press has a salacious story. It's also about future informants fears that the media may out their involvement in assisting authorities. 

Where’s your defense of the first amendment?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I didn't see Trump outing police/FBI informants - but if he did - then I would apply the same argument. 

Thanks for reminding me:

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/trumps-disclosure-endangered-spy-inside-isis-israel-officials/story?id=47449304

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/report-trump-revealed-covert-israeli-mission-in-syria-to-russians-1.5626703

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Where’s your defense of the first amendment?

Why would I need one, exactly.

I wouldn't out a police informant, undercover cop, overseas spy for the 15 minutes of fame an article would get me. It would put their life in danger. 

I don't need an 'amendment' to figure that out on my own.

• Like 1