Return To Siam?

DerbyDan

I am in Bangkok, same as it ever was for me except for the pubs being closed. I am a bit old and jaded for "girly" stuff so no idea about that. I think you may have to be a bit more specific on your intended lifestyle and locales. 

On 2/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, DerbyDan said:

Trying to decide if it's still doable, or if it's better to just forget it, and start looking at other locations.

Ask yourself these questions:

1) Can I afford the air tickets, I say that because I have heard they are expensive ?

2) Can I afford the quarantine costs each time I decide to go to Thailand or other destination.

3) Can I afford private health cover, this is not mandatory, but in my opinion a must and you would be MAD without it in today's world, especially with the pandemic.

I can't emphasis number 3 more than enough as I heard just the other day from a farang that I know that one of his friends was hospitalised in a private hospital for Pneumonia, it was touch and go for a while, spent a while in ICU as it got worse and he was bleeding in the lungs, not that I know much about that, and then as they made further checks on him as he stabilised, they found a main artery with a big narrowing, so in went the stent, and then came the bill.

1.3 thanks for coming, fortunately he had private health cover, and he was fairly young over 55, so ask yourself seriously what you would do in that situation without any cover.  

Add to the above everything else and you should be good to go, or stay, "up to you" as they say.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Depends upon what you're looking for. I returned from the states in Jan of this year to Kanchanaburi. Aside from the lack of tourists, everything is normal.  One positive is you get some really great deals on long term rentals . As for cost, a plane ticket , and ASQ will run 1200 to 2500 USD. The COE process from the embassy in DC is easy and takes 3 to 5 days. I would say go for it , and spend 3 to 6 months here. 

Im in Pattaya area..its much quieter here now, but for any expat,thinking of returning,i think it is ok for them.

A few bars and restaurants are still open,the beaches and traffic,much quieter.

For holiday makers,who want to part up..i say ..you will be better to wait until at least the end of year..

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

1) Can I afford the air tickets, I say that because I have heard they are expensive ?

I believe that is something of a myth. I received an email from Emirates in which they quoted from 24.000 baht BKK to NY. The other direction might be higher, but I would assume not by a prohibitive amount. BKK to Dubai is available for less than 10,000.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that is something of a myth. I received an email from Emirates in which they quoted from 24.000 baht BKK to NY. The other direction might be higher, but I would assume not by a prohibitive amount. BKK to Dubai is available for less than 10,000.

Only going by what I heard, one chap from UK said he paid 35,000 baht one way, plus 55,000 for quarantine.

The other from Europe said 40,000 baht plus about the same for quarantine.

Personally I wouldn't know as I wouldn't fly in the current climate as I have no need to, domestic flights her are cheap, although I still won't fly in the current climate, but 5 star hotels here are the cheapest I have seen them in my life time, so I am taking advantage of holidaying in them as opposed to flying overseas, quarantining and then quarantining on the way back, waste of money and time in my opinion, but hey, I don't run countries, so got to make the best of it while they are locked down.

• Like 2

I'd say if you liked living in Thailand before, it's a good idea to come back. Personally, I wouldn't wait, nobody knows how long this pandemic will drag on.

I've staid in Thailand throughout Covid and I doubt it would have been a more pleasant time anywhere else - probably a lot less so in most places!

The entry process seems to be pretty streamlined now, and if you plan to stay long-term, the one-off expense and time spent in quarantine doesn't really matter much either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that is something of a myth

Maybe depends on destination..... read UK to Australia because of number of people allowed daily due to covid Quarantine availability 

and number of flights reduced or cancelled by airlines. Article said 

8,000-15,000 euro.. I fell off the chair and stopped reading..

On 2/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, DerbyDan said:

Hey, How you all doing?

I vacated the land of smiles last January when Covid struck back to the States. Been celibate for over a year now. ????

Is returning a good idea, or is it a no-go for the next couple years. What's the vibe on the ground?

I'm low key, lived there long term, 5-7 years, back and forth. Not a partier. Trying to decide if it's still doable, or if it's better to just forget it, and start looking at other locations.

Bitter responses and negativity are welcome. I miss you guys. ????

Everybody's case / everybody's visa situation is different.

Right now there is close to zero night life but maybe that's not your priority.

Many shops are closed but some restaurants open, but that also depends on your location. 

In many locations traffic is less. 

Assuming that you you want to alleviate your present state of celibacy, the fundamental question is whether you  are a 4F  sort of guy, or not. (see the urban dictionary under 4f, definition 5, if you are too young to recognize its meaning immediately).

If you are, the online resources already recommended are your go-toplaces. Otherwise, gentlemen's clubs and bar beers and agogos are slowing winding up, in Pattaya at least.

On the other hand, if you like longer term associations, assuming that you can contact some of your "friends" (in the Thai sense) from before, and if they are well-disposed towards you, they will be able to set you up with some companions to "take care" of you for a week or so at a time.

In a sense, things are no different from before; how much you enjoy really depends on you. With the right attitude and application you can find the experience as fulfilling as you wish.

1 hour ago, DerbyDan said:

I guess the lesson here is don't wait, get it now.

Well said, I think we can also agree that even though there is no guarantee that one might not come out of hospital, at least that money that would have been used on the hospital will be left behind to support the wife/partner and kids if any, as that kind of money can go a long way.

Coincidentally, I found out that the guy who was in hospital was released after he recovered, only to be readmitted to ICU a couple of days later with breathing problems, so his private health insurer is taking a beating as opposed to his personal savings, so it does pay to have private health cover if you can get it, just like car and house insurance, albeit they are much cheaper. 

I have decided not to go until the hotel quarantine thing is over.

Spending 2 weeks in an expensive hotel room is hard enough, but I would need to do that each time I enter, not just coming in from the initial international flight.

That means it's a no-go for me unless I already had a long term visa set up, since I would need to fly into neighboring countries periodically like I'm used to doing.

Maybe next year I can get in with just a vaccination certificate without the quarantine hassle.

13 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

I have decided not to go until the hotel quarantine thing is over.

Spending 2 weeks in an expensive hotel room is hard enough, but I would need to do that each time I enter, not just coming in from the initial international flight.

That means it's a no-go for me unless I already had a long term visa set up, since I would need to fly into neighboring countries periodically like I'm used to doing.

Maybe next year I can get in with just a vaccination certificate without the quarantine hassle.

"Maybe next year I can get in with just a vaccination certificate without the quarantine hassle."

I'm in OZ now, the number of positives after arrival in OZ is quite high, the OZ gov't aren't going to stop quarantine for quite some time. Just yesterday a case where the arriving passenger did 14 days then 2 days later was unwell, got a test and was positive back in quarantine. Seems it was connected to the UK virus strain.

Lots of pressure in Thailand to reduce the quarantine but keep in mind the number of arrivals into Thailand who test positive is also quite strong, often 6 or 7 passenger per flight and about 5 weeks ago 12 positives off one flight. With those numbers seems to me reducing/cancelling quarantine is a long way off and connects to numbers of people who have had the full vaccine but must be very large numbers to generate some changes re quarantine.