Jump to content

DLT unveils new rules on power, speed of electric vehicles


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

DLT unveils new rules on power, speed of electric vehicles

By The Nation

 

800_e3086814071eb8e.jpg

 

New Department of Land Transport (DLT) regulations governing the minimum speed and power of electric vehicles (EVs) were published in the government gazette on Thursday.

 

The rules apply to the engine size of electric cars, pickups, taxis, three-wheelers and motorcycles.

 

The first category covers inter-provincial service vehicles carrying up to seven passengers – taxis, rental cars, pickups and small four-wheel trucks.

 

These must have an electric motor of least 15 kilowatts (kW) and a top speed of not less than 90 kilometres per hour. They must also show a letter E for regular EVs or S for small EVs at the rear of the vehicle.

 

The second category covers personal vehicles carrying up to seven people – personal cars, trucks and SUVs. These must have an electric motor of at least 4kW and a top speed of at least 45kph.

 

For the third category, three-wheelers must have a minimum 4kW of power and a speed of at least 45kph.

 

Meanwhile, electric motorcycles must be at least 250 watts and be capable of 45kph. E-motorcycles for public use (taxis, etc) must not exceed 4kW.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402252?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-04
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are being allowed on highways, whilst banning ordinary motorcycles???

 

Oh, sorry. I guess these things are really expensive and the plebs can't afford them. So it's okay.

 

Much better to create Carbon Dioxide somewhere else and be a hypocrite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

250w is 0.33 horsepower, good luck reaching 45kph with this. I guess the minimum which we will actually see are at least 500w.

4kw (5.36 hp) as the upper limit for a motorbike taxi could become problematic if it has to go up anywhere really steep, why such a low limit?

 

56 minutes ago, alacrity said:

They are being allowed on highways, whilst banning ordinary motorcycles???

Where does the article say something about highways?

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

New Department of Land Transport (DLT) regulations governing the minimum speed and power of electric vehicles (EVs) were published in the government gazette on Thursday.

So this will be regulated at the point of entry... ie if it isn't within these limits they cannot be imported or if manufactured here sold domestically?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is almost no infrastructure for electric vehicles yet . Maybe some shopping malls ar homes will have a charging station but for the rest no infrastructure so good luck owning a 100% electric vehicle . I think for now hybrid is the way to go cleaner untill there is some infrastucture .

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The second category covers personal vehicles carrying up to seven people – personal cars, trucks and SUVs. These must have an electric motor of at least 4kW and a top speed of at least 45kph.

 

For the third category, three-wheelers must have a minimum 4kW of power and a speed of at least 45kph.

 

Meanwhile, electric motorcycles must be at least 250 watts and be capable of 45kph. E-motorcycles for public use (taxis, etc) must not exceed 4kW.

And BANNED from highways, motorways, dual carriageways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Was that the experts again. 😎

That part actually makes sense. It means these vehicles need to be able to hit at least 90 kph top speed aka highway limit.

 

Quote

E-motorcycles for public use (taxis, etc) must not exceed 4kW.

 

Now THAT is some proper headscratcher. That's less than half the power of a Honda Click 150 which has 9.7kW.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...