Goodbye Pattaya! Almost everyone in the entertainment industry has left - apartment complexes empty

rooster59

On 2/7/2021 at 7:54 AM, Peterw42 said:

TAT is the Government, The Tourism Authority of Thailand is an organization of Thailand under the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Thailand does not have a government, only a bunch of tinpot soldiers playing at being politicians.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VBF said:

Why would they not?

If the tourist is vaccinated why would they care?

once vaccines are rolled out and quarantine ended some will return for a holiday,but then there is always the fear of a new lockdown and being trapped,and what will tourists come back too.Places like pattaya,patong and chaweng on Samui are mothballed and i cant see these places being dusted off,cleaned, and reopened on the basis of a few planeloads coming in.

This is all bad news but I sense that the worst is to come from unforeseen consequences of a sudden and then lengthy shut down.  Consider the stability of the Thai banking industry when the owners of those rapidly built hotels start defaulting on their loans.in mass.   Sound like 2007?

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would not stop the quarantine right now, but all the hassle that goes with it, surely it could be made much easier, and that insurance scam, just more pocket lining for the "government", insurance companies, hotels, and hospitals.

I hope the despicable people who are making profits out of this pandemic get all the bad luck in life that they deserve.

15 hours ago, WhyamIhere said:

I wonder if the government will ever realize that the farangs were the ones keeping this city going.  Visa requirements are still not very friendly.

How true, and another thing, what was the rate of Thai Baht to the GBP in 2014 when the unelected "PM" and his soldiers bullied their way into power compared to now? and why the big difference?

14 hours ago, the green light said:

Pattaya has always been "the ripoff farang city"  Farangs did not mind as long as they can be well entertained.

Even before the pandemic the bars used to be filled with old ladies. the young ladies are gone because they wanted younger clientele.  Now they are desperate, hope they can come back and realize who has money. Restaurant well already poor quality and expensive.  So no loss to patttaya there between the old grand ma working the bars, poor quality restaurant.. May be the city can be improved and thai people come back with a different prospect towards farangs.

The only people who have money in thailand now are the farangs

What Thailand needs is more poverty so the white man is king again, right? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

What Thailand needs is more poverty so the white man is king again, right? 

It's mostly their own making.   Thai people get to decide how to make a living. 

11 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Don't know Pattaya. What attracts the creeps to Soi 6 ?

Money.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Thailand does not have a government, only a bunch of tinpot soldiers playing at being politicians.

The tourism minister actually is a politician, but his department (and TAT) has of course absolutely nothing to say about if and how and when to let in tourists. 

He's quite a sensible guy, but his hands are tied.   

It's a little unfortunate that most foreigners on this forum and in Thailand in general don't read properly.   Their loss.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, It's amazing how far your pension goes when the bars are closed, your favorite prostitutes have returned home to mum and you're locked up in a small condo.

Im not a regular drinker,but enjoy weekly night out,at gogo bars.

I have saved huge money,while they have been closed..

11 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

If you'd explain what a "drop the soap" place is I might confirm or deny. Does it imply that Pattaya is a prison?

A "drop the soap" moment isn't location specific although prison showers are allegedly a location where they often happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

It's mostly their own making.   Thai people get to decide how to make a living. 

Money.

but

The tourism minister actually is a politician, but his department (and TAT) has of course absolutely nothing to say about if and how and when to let in tourists. 

He's quite a sensible guy, but his hands are tied.   

It's a little unfortunate that most foreigners on this forum and in Thailand in general don't read properly.   Their loss.

That may be true, but never forget that the unelected "PM" is responsible for this wave of covid-19, he allowed Burmese illegals to come into Thailand through corruption, therefor spreading infections, then said he would investigate it, he has gone all quiet on it since.

The tourism minister may be a politician, but most of the "government" are not. If he is, then why is he working under the unelected "PM"? Don't tell me, because his pockets are being well lined.

7 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

The amount of tax revenue on liquor sales is enormous.  Trust me. The thai government wants the entertainment industry back.  Plus all the wave flagging groups of tourists

The Thai "government" is not interested in the entertainment industry, since this pandemic began, don't tell me the unelected "PM" and his soldiers have had any of their personal income reduced.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

You know Old  Croc i totally agree with you because i have one lazy step daughter already back She sleeps all day and does nothing around the house So yeah you are right

and of course, you are contributing to her keep.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Salerno said:

A "drop the soap" moment isn't location specific although prison showers are allegedly a location where they often happen.

Ah, so you're implying Pattaya is a gay town? Well, it certainly has lots of gays (and other members of the LGBTQ community) but the majority are certainly straight.

Why does it matter and do you honestly think shuffleboard screams red-blooded hetero?

Edited by Phoenix Rising

18 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, It's amazing how far your pension goes when the bars are closed, your favorite prostitutes have returned home to mum and you're locked up in a small condo.

Thank god there's still alcohol!

(as I sip my first 'Tom Collins' of the day)

Edited by BritManToo

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm interested in buying a house/condo in Pattaya now. Seems like it would be a good time.

I believe so. But as always one needs to put in the legwork.
I recently bought new with a 1.5mil discount after a reasonably short period of negotiation (around 25%)

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Ah, so you're implying Pattaya is a gay town? Well, it certainly has lots of gays (and other members of the LGBTQ community) but the majority are certainly straight.

Why does it matter and do you honestly think shuffleboard screams red-blooded hetero?

You’re being too analytical.  Some of us were born on the mean streets and are street smart as a result. Others have led a more sheltered life - let’s just leave it there.