Thais Seem Relutant To See A Physician Initially.

cm-happy

My Thais mate is alway very reluctant to see a physician initially, and much prefers to see a pharmacist to describe symptoms, and then the pharmacist will diagnose the problem and suggest medicine to buy.

This sometimes works, but only for the most minor and trivial problems. Often the cure doesnt work and the problem gets worse. Then, we wind up going to see a Doc in the local hospital, that prescribes the proper medicine and then end of problem.

Frankly I dont undestand why Thais behave like this. And am wondering why the Thai Medical Associations dont get on Pharmacists tale for practicing medicine without a licence. Not an expert but think the practice of seeing a pharmacist rather than physician is pretty wide spread all over Thailand

any thoughts on this??

My Thais mate is alway very reluctant to see a physician initially, and much prefers to see a pharmacist to describe symptoms, and then the pharmacist will diagnose the problem and suggest medicine to buy.

This sometimes works, but only for the most minor and trivial problems. Often the cure doesnt work and the problem gets worse. Then, we wind up going to see a Doc in the local hospital, that prescribes the proper medicine and then end of problem.

Frankly I dont undestand why Thais behave like this. And am wondering why the Thai Medical Associations dont get on Pharmacists tale for practicing medicine without a licence. Not an expert but think the practice of seeing a pharmacist rather than physician is pretty wide spread all over Thailand

any thoughts on this??

1. Cost

2. Fear of serious illness (=denial)

3. Cultural Bias. In traditional Thai medicine, all ailments were treated with taking medicine orally.