UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

I understand that you have completely dodged the question by deviating into Uber!

BTW:-

19th January 2021: Business secretary confirms post-Brexit review of UK workers' rights

27th January 2021: Review of UK workers' rights post-Brexit is axed in sudden U-turn

But tell us, whilst not all of them are a direct result of our previous EU membership, which employee rights, such as the examples listed on this UK government page, do you want to do away with?

See.above post and try getting out and about a bit more.

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Exactly, even Jeremy Corbyn said that the EU doesn't respect workers rights, and that is saying something.

Never been a fan of Corbyn; but when and where did he say that? 

In his response to the EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill he did say in Parliament

For all the promises over the past few weeks that they are the party to protect rights at work, at the very first opportunity they have removed the basic provisions they had said would be part of this bill.

That does not bode well for the separate Bill the prime minister is now saying he will bring forward on workers’ rights.

If he wants to assure people that their rights are safe in his hands he should commit to legislate to ensure workers rights in Britain will never fall behind EU standards in the future and support amendments to enshrine this commitment within this bill.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

"I would hazzard (sic) a guess." So rather than use the hard evidence on the document you are relying on guesswork!

I'm sure that she knew the UK's position on fishing before the negotiations started; we all did. It was, after all, one of Boris' red lines!

But as fisheries minister she should have known how that changed completely by the end of the negotiations. Maybe she was kept in the dark because that red line was yet another one Boris did away with!

LONDON — The European Commission published the full text of the trade agreement in principle between the U.K. and EU on Saturday morning. 

The U.K. government published the text on its website shortly after. Both the UK and the Commission also published additional texts covering economic, security and nuclear cooperation. One includes joint declarations in areas such as financial services.

https://www.politico.eu/article/commission-publishes-full-text-of-uk-eu-brexit-trade-agreement/

So that would have been Saturday 26th December 2020

Its quite normal in major negotiations that the only parties that have details of the negotiation are the negotiation team and the people that they report back to

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“We all know the UK would have found it virtually impossible to go it alone on vaccines had we still been a full EU member. “

We we all know nothing of the sort.

Throughout its time in the EU the UK opted out of multiple EU programs and policies, most notably the UK did not join the Euro, there is absolutely no basis to your claim that the UK would be obliged/forced to join the EU’s vaccine procurement pact.

You are making stuff up.

So you think opting out of the single currency along with eight other member states is the same as opting out of a vaccine program during a pandemic that all the other member states agreed to is the same sort of thing? I don't. 

16 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You did not post a ‘news source’ you posted a link to a rightwing outfit that produces propaganda selectively edited propaganda videos for distribution on social media.

They are not a ‘news source’.

Away with you and your social media propaganda machine.

There you go again arguing semantics, since you cannot contradict the content.  My error in using the word "source" instead of media - happy now.

Now how about answering my earlier question;

What part of the content to which I referred do you consider propaganda and / or  not accurately reported from a reputable source, i.e. the FCA's records made available via an FOI request from Bovill??

I won't hold my breath....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Does that meet your definition of sitting "on their backsides chewing the cud at mine and the other tax payers expense?"

There you go again, twisting the thread to try to perpetuate an irrelevant argument. If you want to get your dig in, at least make it feasible....

If you check back, you will see my response to a post highlighting the lazy benefits claimants who refuse to work in the fields picking fruit and veg. It did not refer to you specifically, if you are on sickness benefit it's a totally different scenario.

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong; but are most Brexiteers here sitting on their backsides in Thailand and wont be affected by the problems of Brexit until or unless Sterling drops so low they can no longer meet their visa requirement?

You're wrong! We're still British citizens and what effects our country, effects us and our families. You've already highlighted one effect - the value of sterling..

If they've earned their retirement and wish to stay in Thailand, so be it. It's an entirely different scenario to UK benefits claimants who refuse to work, sit on their backsides with their hands held out. I don't see any British in Thailand sat on their backsides holding their hands out for the Thai or UK government to support them. In fact it's quite the contrary, the UK penalise the foreign retiree by freezing their pensions which, like any other British citizen, they have paid into all their working lives, and are just as entitled to their increments, irrespective of where they choose to live out their retirement.

Personally I still have a business in the UK, and pay UK taxes which, it appears, pays for your SSP, since; -

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I'm currently receiving SSP, paid for out of my NICs over my 40 years working life

- this statement is incorrect! Benefits are paid out of tax revenues, not NI contributions.

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

No; it's an example of either my lack of any mind reading ability or your inability to give any positive benefit to the UK of Brexit.

I just did, with the financial services storey, or did you not understand it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, I have heard of a free trade agreement. Unlike you, it seems, I not only know what the term means in general, I also know details of ours with the EU!

At it's most basic, a free trade agreement means that there are no import tariffs or quotas on products from one country entering another. It does not mean the completely free flow of goods and services such as that we enjoyed before Brexit.

The agreement between us and the EU runs to 1246 pages, and I freely admit to not having read it in it's entirety!

I have, though read the summaries published in the UK press; such as that I linked to in a previous reply to one of your posts where you said "Have you forgotten we're meant to have a free trade agreement with the EU?"

As you obviously couldn't be bothered to read it last time; here it is again: Brexit: What are the key points of the deal?

You're still missing the point, our goods and services complied with EU rules on the 31st Dec. but were all of a sudden unacceptable one second later.

As for new rules regarding the free flow of goods - that's a completely different context. That's related to border controls and checks requiring proper documentation. The punishment and business grabbing tactics, are exactly that - tactics and punishment.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 AM, 7by7 said:

Continue operating; so not new after all!

However, they almost got it right. From a credible source: More than 1,000 EU firms plan first UK office after Brexit.

More than 1,000 EU firms plan first UK office after Brexit.

Extract from your own quoted source, clearly contradicts your statement therein, first I presume can be considered new...

That article and the BBC news report you later quote is an exact replica of the content of the media I quoted.

But, oh no it can't be true because it came from a right wing media group... ???? ????

• Like 1

Biggest Foreign-Worker Exodus Since WWII 

Brexit and pandemic make U.K. a hard place for expats to stay: -700.000 in London and a population decrease of 1.3 millions overall 

Foreign workers are leaving Britain at the fastest pace since World War II, presenting a challenge to an economy already roiled by Brexit and the coronavirus.

The implications are profound for the Treasury, landlords and the chances for a recovery from the worst slump in three centuries.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-26/biggest-foreign-worker-exodus-since-wwii-adds-to-britain-s-woes

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Biggest Foreign-Worker Exodus Since WWII 

Brexit and pandemic make U.K. a hard place for expats to stay: -700.000 in London and a population decrease of 1.3 millions overall 

Another Brexit (and/or Covid) benefit. Only another 2.7 million to go. Are you posting from the U.K. and making plans by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2