UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I understand the difference between a slow grinding uphill and a cliff edge.

The pound after Brexit went over a cliff edge. 

Over the last week its has gone up slightly.

Suddenly all you Brexiteers are claiming this as a fantastic success and a vindication of Brexit.

What you you be saying if it starts going back down again over the next week?

That the effect of Brexit can only be assessed on the long term! ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Suddenly all you Brexiteers are claiming this as a fantastic success and a vindication of Brexit.

You're getting as bad as 49'r. I never said any such thing. I said it was about certainty, nothing to do with Brexit success or vindication... Do try to keep up.... 

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It's not over yet, they've just asked for 2 more months to ratify the deal. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-gives-eu-extra-time-to-ratify-brexit-trade-deal/

Apparently the hapless EU are about as efficient at translating documents as they are at procuring and administering vaccines.????

image.png.b93b474d13f9c5968db50fb5fe35ec9f.png

It’s called thoroughness. We know that’s a concept unknown to people who only months later understand what they actually signed there (and then try to fix the situation by attempting to break their agreements) ????  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

You're getting as bad as 49'r. I never said any such thing. I said it was about certainty, nothing to do with Brexit success or vindication... Do try to keep up.... 

So what will you say if it goes down next week?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So what will you say if it goes down next week?

I don't have crystal balls, only the real solid dependable type.... ????

You can't let go, can you? ????

Still predicting doom and gloom. ????

Why can't you rejoice in the positives for a change. ????

Negative, negative, negative, how depressing your world must be... ????

In case you haven't notice, I'm just enjoying myself now, it's too easy... ????

Have to go now, my wife's got the worlds best fish & chips on the go... ????

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

I don't have crystal balls, only the real solid dependable type.... ????

You can't let go, can you? ????

Still predicting doom and gloom. ????

Why can't you rejoice in the positives for a change. ????

Negative, negative, negative, how depressing your world must be... ????

In case you haven't notice, I'm just enjoying myself now, it's too easy... ????

Have to go now, my wife's got the worlds best fish & chips on the go... ????

What a lengthy post complete with emoji just to say "I have no idea what I will say next week if the pound goes back down".

Still, enjoy this week with a marginal rise in the value of the pound. Must give you that warm fuzzy feeling that actually the UK might not be totally screwed over because of Brexit.

What I am hearing though is that the Bank of England is buying up pounds in order to raise the value. Its doing this because of the increased costs of importing stuff and the knock on effect that will have for headline inflation. 

And we all accuse the Thais of currency manipulation. ???? 

Hope the fish and chips are nice.

• Like 1

one could expect the'one or two' Brexit teething issues are solved fast after a chaotic few weeks,

in fact they are apparently getting worse

much worse, in fact

A survey of 350 supply chain managers found that two out of three had experienced delays of “at least two to three days” getting goods into the UK, compared with 38% who reported delays in a similar survey in January.

“What is even more concerning is that the delays are continuing to get longer, putting more and more pressure on the UK’s supply chains and affecting the timely delivery of much-needed goods.”

He added: “The knock-on impact of these delays will trickle far down the supply chain and ultimately result in stock shortages and inflated prices for consumers.”

Almost half said delays were caused by customs paperwork on both sides of the border.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/24/brexit-trade-delays-getting-worse-uk-border-survey-finds

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, Rookiescot said:

So a recovery from the Brexit vote is gradual but the markets the day after the referendum saw the pound plummet. 

Surely the uncertainty is over with now and the markets should absolutely jump back towards their former levels?

Or is this just a slight uptick in the value of the pound before those vile speculators (Farages's mates) reap profit? 

"Vile speculators" ? Are you referring to the "money markets "? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

one could expect the'one or two' Brexit teething issues are solved fast after a chaotic few weeks,

in fact they are apparently getting worse

much worse, in fact

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/24/brexit-trade-delays-getting-worse-uk-border-survey-finds

Well at least the vaccines are getting through,had my pfizer jab early,how is the vaccine programme going in the eu compared to the uk?well i couldn,t think of a joke to start the post with,but will finish with a song.....you take the eu road and i,ll take the uk road,and i,ll be in thailand before you......

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kingdong said:

"Vile speculators" ? Are you referring to the "money markets "? 

The mates of Farage. The guys who made a fortune out of shorting the pound.

Betting against the wealth and stability of the UK eh?

Hardly the actions of patriots but thats what your Brexiteer friends did.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Well at least the vaccines are getting through,had my pfizer jab early,how is the vaccine programme going in the eu compared to the uk?well i couldn,t think of a joke to start the post with,but will finish with a song.....you take the eu road and i,ll take the uk road,and i,ll be in thailand before you......

Many of us are already in Thailand and guess what. Very little corona virus here.

Still you guys were lucky enough to have Johnson in charge who made sure it never became an issue in the UK.

Oh wait. He totally screwed up as expected and caused one (if not the highest) death rates in the world.

Its not like he couldnt see it coming or anything could he?

The images from hospitals in Italy and Spain were pretty graphic but of course Johnson could rely on that plucky Dunkirk spirit to get us out of the mire. Somehow the British would be immune owing to their superior genes eh?

Rule Britannia, Britannia waves the rules.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Many of us are already in Thailand and guess what. Very little corona virus here.

Still you guys were lucky enough to have Johnson in charge who made sure it never became an issue in the UK.

Oh wait. He totally screwed up as expected and caused one (if not the highest) death rates in the world.

Its not like he couldnt see it coming or anything could he?

The images from hospitals in Italy and Spain were pretty graphic but of course Johnson could rely on that plucky Dunkirk spirit to get us out of the mire. Somehow the British would be immune owing to their superior genes eh?

Rule Britannia, Britannia waves the rules.  

You seem to have an obsession regarding johnson,the rot of political correctness in the uk started long before boris won his landslide election.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tofer said:

Obviously, that's why it was only a threat. The EU trying to show it's might, without any substance.

It was actually France and Germany who threatened to sue AstraZeneca, not the EU commission.

AstraZeneca vaccine: France and Germany threaten to sue if firm doesn’t boost number of jabs for EU

Those threats were withdrawn after inspection of the Belgian plant showed the delays were due to manufacturing problems, not the supplies being diverted elsewhere.

• Like 2

It's quite simple - don't try putting words into my mouth.

Keep your spurious interpretations of "my logic" to yourself in future.

It's very simple; I have not tried putting words into your mouth.

As for your logic; are you now saying that your justifications for saying that all the NHS were doing is "sticking needles into people's arms" were not based on any logic at all? If so, on what did you base them?

• Like 2

Obviously, it was a figure of speech, not a specific reference to your predilections towards 'THE' wars, as you were not around then, simply a simile of your defeatist attitude and reluctance to accept the way it is now post Brexit.

You find that insulting, well if the cap fits wear it.

As already explained to you, I do not have a defeatist attitude towards Brexit. Except I firmly believed in 2016 that Leaving the EU would be a disaster for this country, and nothing which has happened since has convinced me otherwise.

As I have said to you many times identifying the problems caused by Brexit is not a defeatist attitude; it is the only way of solving them.

I do refuse to accept the way things are post Brexit; it's a mess and must be improved. Unfortunately, this current government wont see it and uses terms like "teething issues" to describe them or ignores them completely. So we'll be suffering them until the current occupant of Number 10 is removed. Either at the next election or, more likely, before then by his own party.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tofer said:

Likewise, I was not around then. It's the EU who appear to want to make Brexit into a new war, with their petty bans and disruptions. In fact they've been doing it for years with the CAP and the CFP, which strongly favoured their businesses. 

Now the EU want to punish the UK for having the audacity to leave their precious club. I almost wish we'd left with a no deal, and could start a fresh on WTO.

Utter rubbish.

I know that Vote.Leave promised you that we could leave the EU and still retain all the advantages of membership; but they either lied or were stupid enough to believe it themselves!

Tell us; why should the EU grant us concessions and privileges no other non member has?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tofer said:

Hugo Machin, portfolio supervisor and co-head of International Cities at Schroders commented: ‘We weren’t stunned to see London regain first place within the Index. While there was uncertainty generated by Brexit and the ensuing political setting, its underlying fundamentals stay enticing to traders.’

Even Manchester is ahead of all but one of the EU countries...

So an index by a real estate company is all you can find to balance all the bad news.

I'm sure that'll be a comfort to Cornish fishermen going bankrupt!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hi from France said:

<snip>

I'm sorry for you, bravo for taking risks to help others. 

A single dose of the vaccine might be useful in your situation, provided vaccine makers can deliver.

Thank you.

I have been advised by both my GP and the NHS vaccination programme not to have the vaccine while I am still symptomatic.

My GP also told me that I'm probably immune for at least two months after testing positive, and maybe longer if still symptomatic.

• Like 1