UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

On 2/9/2021 at 7:13 PM, vogie said:

I agree with you.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:10 PM, Surelynot said:

.......and all the empty lorries....another fiction from the extreme left wing papers?

Vogie .  Jump onto this .  We all know Lorry Drivers .

Along with the few  remainders, of the working class.

Are lefties , sure ..

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Did you agree with the money markets when the pound lost 15% of its value immediately after the referendum result was known?

I understood the money markets after the referendum. The markets were reacting to the uncertainty, as they always do. What we're seeing now is the start of a gradual recovery as there is more certainty (around Brexit at least). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So a recovery from the Brexit vote is gradual but the markets the day after the referendum saw the pound plummet. 

Surely the uncertainty is over with now and the markets should absolutely jump back towards their former levels?

Or is this just a slight uptick in the value of the pound before those vile speculators (Farages's mates) reap profit? 

No, the end of uncertainty over long term effects will be gradual. Tentative. Nobody knows the long term impacts now because it's not been long enough. But the signs are positive, hence the strengthening pound.

The big drop after the Brexit vote was a case of panic and r's covering. Following the crowd. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

the employment agency is running the test centre, not the NHS!

Where did I say that.

Same old tactics, creating your own agenda to deflect from the actual thread of my post. Better to not respond at all if you cannot come up with a valid argument against the specific subject.

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

When all else fails, the Brexiteer argument of all those who disagree with them being unpatriotic!

I didn't say you were unpatriotic, I said you had no backbone or British spirit.

However, if the cap fits.....

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

BTW, difficult for me to have been a conscientious objector in the last war as I wasn't born until 1955! Although I suppose your insult is logical to those like you who are still fighting it!

Where did I mention any specific war? I said wars, i.e as a generalisation. You really need to brush up on your literary comprehension.

13 hours ago, candide said:

Whether they can be sued or not  is another matter, as there was a "best effort" clause.

Exactly, thank you....

It would appear they cannot be sued, hence UvdL's withdrawal of her threat, and since clauses, such as the one you quoted, have now been made public. Another embarrassing 'U' turn.

Edited by Tofer

15 hours ago, Tofer said:

Nonsense. Since the full version of the contract with AZ has now been issued, the EU have retracted their proposal to sue the company - I wonder why??

56 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Exactly, thank you....

It would appear they cannot be sued, hence UvdL's withdrawal of her threat, and since clauses, such as the one you quoted, have now been made public. Another embarrassing 'U' turn.

LOL, yes, another embarrassing U-turn.

19 hours ago, Tofer said:

Nonsense. Since the full version of the contract with AZ has now been issued, the EU have retracted their proposal to sue the company - I wonder why??

Not because the full contract is now public; that would have happened had they taken their suppliers to court.

If suing someone for breach of contract, the contract is obviously presented to the court as evidence. Otherwise, how can the court decide whether or not it was breached!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

Where did I say that.

Same old tactics, creating your own agenda to deflect from the actual thread of my post. Better to not respond at all if you cannot come up with a valid argument against the specific subject.

You're quoting me out of context to change my meaning. Not surprised. I did not claim that you said that, what I said was "According to your logic...." 

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

I didn't say you were unpatriotic, I said you had no backbone or British spirit.

However, if the cap fits.....

So if that's not calling me unpatriotic, what is it calling me?

As for the intent of your jibe, I refer you to my previous response.

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

Where did I mention any specific war? I said wars, i.e as a generalisation. You really need to brush up on your literary comprehension.

You called a conscientious objector.

The last war the UK fought where there was universal conscription was the Second World war.

You really ought to brush up on your history before using it to throw childish insults around!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Not because the full contract is now public; that would have happened had they taken their suppliers to court.

If suing someone for breach of contract, the contract is obviously presented to the court as evidence. Otherwise, how can the court decide whether or not it was breached!

Obviously, that's why it was only a threat. The EU trying to show it's might, without any substance.

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You're quoting me out of context to change my meaning. Not surprised. I did not claim that you said that, what I said was "According to your logic...." 

It's quite simple - don't try putting words into my mouth.

Keep your spurious interpretations of "my logic" to yourself in future.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, Rookiescot said:

Did you agree with the money markets when the pound lost 15% of its value immediately after the referendum result was known?

I did!. I sat up half the night to hear the result, because I knew it was going to cost me a lot of money to proceed with my plans in Thailand, and I was proved right. 

The money markets respond to uncertainty, and the long drawn out transition was obviously going to be a lengthy and acrimonious process.

What is it about the resurgence of the pound that you do not understand?

On 2/22/2021 at 7:58 PM, 7by7 said:

BTW, difficult for me to have been a conscientious objector in the last war as I wasn't born until 1955! Although I suppose your insult is logical to those like you who are still fighting it!

Likewise, I was not around then. It's the EU who appear to want to make Brexit into a new war, with their petty bans and disruptions. In fact they've been doing it for years with the CAP and the CFP, which strongly favoured their businesses. 

Now the EU want to punish the UK for having the audacity to leave their precious club. I almost wish we'd left with a no deal, and could start a fresh on WTO.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bannork said:
2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Let me ask you one very serious question - do you really believe the UK is going to fail outside the EU?

Absolutely, in reply to your final sentence.

Very sad!!

We'll see... Without the benefit of a crystal ball, I wouldn't be so sure, especially considering UK's historic successes. 

54 minutes ago, bannork said:

The British bulldog is dead. He has been replaced by the British buffalo.

It is amongst you lot.

However, It seems Boris has a soul mate, judging from your avatar, and attitude.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Very sad!!

We'll see... Without the benefit of a crystal ball, I wouldn't be so sure, especially considering UK's historic successes. 

It is amongst you lot.

However, It seems Boris has a soul mate, judging from your avatar, and attitude.

My avatar is in fact Boris Johnson in a previous life.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bannork said:

My avatar is in fact Boris Johnson in a previous life.

If you say so????

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Absolutely, in reply to your final sentence.

Schroders’ International Cities Index for 2020 
Metropolis 2020 Rating 2020 Rank 2019 Rating 2019 Rank Change
London 8.53 1 8.19 2 1
San Francisco 8.4 2 7.97 6 4
Boston 8.29 3 8.06 4 1
Paris 8.27 4 7.63 14 10
New York 8.19 5 7.95 9 4
Hong Kong 8.11 6 8.15 3 -3
Toronto 8.1 7 7.62 16 9
San Jose 8.06 8 7.94 10 2
Seattle 8.03 9 7.98 5 -4
Melbourne 8.01 10 7.73 12 2
Singapore 8 11 7.7 13 2
Stockholm 7.99 12 7.32 31 19
Sydney 7.98 13 7.96 7 -6
Los Angeles 7.97 14 8.23 1 -13
Montréal 7.88 15 7.3 34 19
Manchester 7.85 16 7.35 28 12
Zurich 7.81 17 7.29 35 18
Copenhagen 7.81 18 6.96 64 46
Shenzhen 7.79 19 7.18 44 25
Munich 7.77 20 7.27 40 20
Washington 7.77 21 7.58 17 -4
Perth 7.75 22 7.48 24 2
Hangzhou 7.75 23 7.57 20 -3
Vancouver 7.74 24 7.31 33 9
Beijing 7.73 25 7.57 19 -6
Madrid 7.7 26 6.87 78 52
Nanjing 7.7 27 7.24 41 14
Shanghai 7.7 28 7.51 21 -7
Brisbane 7.69 29 7.49 22 -7
Chengdu 7.67 30 7.08 52 22

Hugo Machin, portfolio supervisor and co-head of International Cities at Schroders commented: ‘We weren’t stunned to see London regain first place within the Index. While there was uncertainty generated by Brexit and the ensuing political setting, its underlying fundamentals stay enticing to traders.’

Even Manchester is ahead of all but one of the EU countries....

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

I did!. I sat up half the night to hear the result, because I knew it was going to cost me a lot of money to proceed with my plans in Thailand, and I was proved right. 

The money markets respond to uncertainty, and the long drawn out transition was obviously going to be a lengthy and acrimonious process.

What is it about the resurgence of the pound that you do not understand?

I understand the difference between a slow grinding uphill and a cliff edge.

The pound after Brexit went over a cliff edge. 

Over the last week its has gone up slightly.

Suddenly all you Brexiteers are claiming this as a fantastic success and a vindication of Brexit.

What you you be saying if it starts going back down again over the next week?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, CG1 Blue said:

How is the GBP doing since we ended the transition period and properly left the EU? It's up at 1.40 to the USD and 1.15 to the EUR now. So the currency markets disagree with all your negativity

This is ridiculous 

You are fiddling the figures. Don't tell me you have been unable to find the existing studies, even the tabloids published them 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, 7by7 said:

Before I tested positive and then developed long Covid, I worked at a Covid test centre, and have been told I'll be welcome back when recovered. 

I'm sorry for you, bravo for taking risks to help others. 

A single dose of the vaccine might be useful in your situation, provided vaccine makers can deliver. 

Now in Europe AstraZeneca is again and again unable to deliver, apparently deliveries will be again cut by half 

The EU official, who is directly involved in talks with the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker, said the company had told the bloc during internal meetings that it “would deliver less than 90m doses in the second quarter”.

AstraZeneca’s contract with the EU, which was leaked last week, showed the company had committed to delivering 180m doses to the 27-nation bloc in the second quarter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...quarter-report

• Like 1