If Senate does not convict Trump, 'he can do this again,' Democrats warn

webfact

16 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Its a simple question. If it werent for trumps speech would it have happened.

It seems not, because when he finally tweeted to stop they went home.

There is your answer.

I agree Trump is responsible.  I'm just curious what those who insist Trump is innocent of instigating the Capitol riot think.  Do they think someone else caused the riot, or do they think it was just a totally spontaneous riot that nobody planned or led?

• Like 1

Just now, simple1 said:

Thanks. I was aware of some of the points you raised and worth repeating, it's why I quoted you in full. It has been in my mind for a while the US political system is in deep trouble with circumstances the Framers presumably thought would never occur i.e. Senators en masse breaching their Oath of Office. How this conundrum can be resolved I do not know.

HERE'S how we fix it:

Vote the <self deleted> out!

Educate the citizens.

Reintroduce The Fairness Doctrine.

Break up media monopolies.

Punish your kids so they grow up right.

That would be a good start.

2 minutes ago, J Town said:

HERE'S how we fix it:

Vote the <self deleted> out!

Educate the citizens.

Reintroduce The Fairness Doctrine.

Break up media monopolies.

Punish your kids so they grow up right.

That would be a good start.

One hopes your wishes come true, though the damage caused by trumpism is deep rooted

• Like 2

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Trumpism didn't cause the damage.  It's a symptom of a festering problem, decades in the making.

True.  The damage began with Newt Gingrich in the 1990's.  He showed that uncompromising partisan politics works, especially in the more homogeneous thinly populated states that are key to holding the Senate.  This made elections all about catering to the extremes instead of catering to the center.  Trump is the result of this.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Trumpism didn't cause the damage.  It's a symptom of a festering problem, decades in the making.

Kevin McCarthy would absolutely disagree. They were almost ALL wearing former president hats, flags, screaming his rhetoric. It's ALWAYS been t****ism, that's just the name being put on it now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I heard an item today that over half of republicans actually think that the insurrection was mainly done by Antifa. Dealing with the republican party isn't particularly more centered in reality than dealing with the Q cult or the Proud Boys. This nightmare if far from over.

The GOOD thing is good hearted Republicans are deserting the party in droves. They still have active brains and don't want to associate with Q cult, Antifa (for crying out loud that's not even a GROUP!), Proud Boys, et al.

17 hours ago, simple1 said:

Thanks. I was aware of some of the points you raised and worth repeating, it's why I quoted you in full. It has been in my mind for a while the US political system is in deep trouble with circumstances the Framers presumably thought would never occur i.e. Senators en masse breaching their Oath of Office. How this conundrum can be resolved I do not know.

It will take a new Constitution.  The current Constitution will never be amended again, because of the requirement of a trifecta of super-majorities to do so: the Senate, the House, and the states.  The impeachment process in the Constitution has failed every time it has been tried.  Lifetime tenure of Supreme Court justices, intended to shelter them from political pressure, has also failed spectacularly since the current Court is probably the most politicized in history.

But what will cause the collapse of the current Constitution is the Electoral College.  Within twenty years fifty percent of the voters will live in eight states, mostly in urban areas in those states.  That means they will be largely Democrats.  It also means that the discrepancy between the "popular vote" and the Electoral College vote that actually decides the election will become both larger and permanent.  At some point the Democrats will rebel at the perpetual minority government of the Republican Party.  They might call a new constitutional convention to write a more modern constitution, but it's hard to see how the necessary compromises could be achieved as they were in 1787.  So, the other possible outcome is that the country will split apart.

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

It will take a new Constitution.  The current Constitution will never be amended again, because of the requirement of a trifecta of super-majorities to do so: the Senate, the House, and the states.  The impeachment process in the Constitution has failed every time it has been tried.  Lifetime tenure of Supreme Court justices, intended to shelter them from political pressure, has also failed spectacularly since the current Court is probably the most politicized in history.

But what will cause the collapse of the current Constitution is the Electoral College.  Within twenty years fifty percent of the voters will live in eight states, mostly in urban areas in those states.  That means they will be largely Democrats.  It also means that the discrepancy between the "popular vote" and the Electoral College vote that actually decides the election will become both larger and permanent.  At some point the Democrats will rebel at the perpetual minority government of the Republican Party.  They might call a new constitutional convention to write a more modern constitution, but it's hard to see how the necessary compromises could be achieved as they were in 1787.  So, the other possible outcome is that the country will split apart.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully it will never come to the USA 'splitting', history has shown the outcome is often accompanied by horrific levels of violence.

• Like 1