Trump lawyers portray impeachment trial as Democratic witch hunt

rooster59

59 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

15 (R) Senators failed to attend the Thursday trial.

If these 15 (R) Senators didn't think a trial about a POTUS inciting insurrection against the United States was important enough to attend, perhaps they will fail to attend the jury deliberations.  If so, the entire calculus changes.  Conviction requires a supermajority, which is 67%

(100-15) x .67 rounds to 57. Thus, since 50 (D) are likely to vote for conviction, only 7 (R) would need to vote for conviction.

Let's hope these 15 (R)s continue to consider inciting insurrection isn't worth bothering with, so they will again stay away.

What could be interesting: if a significant number of Republicans not show up for the vote. If 25 Republicans decided not to come to work that day & all 50 Demos voted to convict, that would give the necessary 2/3's vote.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

Unless there is an audio file of the call, it is easily disputed.  Having witnesses eager to testify under oath means nothing as was shown in a dispute over election results. 

Anyone who has US citizenship can call themselves and American whether or not they support President Trump.

Well there are Republican witnesses that this is what McCarthy reported. You misunderstand the law. Those election witnesses who testified under oath had no real knowledge as further examination showed. In this case we have at least one Republican congressman as an actual witness to what McCarthy said. McCarthy so far has made no comment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

Unless there is an audio file of the call, it is easily disputed.  Having witnesses eager to testify under oath means nothing as was shown in a dispute over election results. 

Anyone who has US citizenship can call themselves and American whether or not they support President Trump.

If there was an audio file, you'd dispute that, and say it was doctored, or was taken out of context.  And if Trump himself admitted it, you'd come up with some other excuse.  

If you don't believe it, maybe you want to look at the recently released statement by Republican Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler.  She said McCarthy (Minority Leader of the House=Republican)  told her, and long before today she shared the details with many people.   I'm just sorry it didn't get picked up by media or the House Impeachment Managers earlier.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

If there was an audio file, you'd dispute that, and say it was doctored, or was taken out of context.  And if Trump himself admitted it, you'd come up with some other excuse.  

If you don't believe it, maybe you want to look at the recently released statement by Republican Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler.  She said McCarthy (Minority Leader of the House=Republican)  told her, and long before today she shared the details with many people.   I'm just sorry it didn't get picked up by media or the House Impeachment Managers earlier.

There's a reason some people get sent to my phantom zone (Ignore user). It's a waste of time to even try with some who are willfully ignoring the truth.

For the LIFE of me I can't understand the mojo the former president has to bamboozle these poor miscreants.

10 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

That makes 2 congressional representatives. Both Republicans.

• Like 1