Import Tax and Duty? Where can I get clear information in English

OneMoreFarang

On 2/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, FlorC said:

Yes I buy at es.co.th too (5 times now) , they are great with good prices , easy website but limited selection . Friendly in Ban Moh store.

If it wasn't for the "rona , we could do a group buy at Mouser get it delivered to a like minded in a non sale tax US state and he (she) could bring it over and beat them at their own taxing game . Electronic parts are small and lightweight , so easy to bring to Thailand in your luggage.

I would/could do it but there's a 21 % vat in my country and prob some import fee.

And of course with the 'rona , no flying possible , so stranded here.

May not have to pay VAT to the country of origin ir you are importing it to Thailand.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems for you it would be best to ship it with a "cheap" option - not courier like DHL, etc.

And maybe make it look unprofessional like an old box, lots of tape, handwriting, ...

And you can declare is a gift - but I am not sure if customs care about that. 

Duty on clothes is really high...

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

May not have to pay VAT to the country of origin ir you are importing it to Thailand.

As a private person , not a company , that will be difficult to prove .

Mouser is in the US , so best to have it delivered there and then bring it over to Thailand.

Ultimately it is the Thai import tax/costs that frustrate a lot of us expats (and natives) , as read about it often here on the forum. The 6 % Thai VAT is no problem and I gladly pay for being ably to live here in their country.

15 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Mouser is in the US , so best to have it delivered there and then bring it over to Thailand.

Ultimately it is the Thai import tax/costs that frustrate a lot of us expats (and natives) , as read about it often here on the forum. The 6 % Thai VAT is no problem and I gladly pay for being ably to live here in their country.

I understand what you are saying. Personally I don't know anybody who lives permanently in the USA.

And I ordered the parts on the Thai website from Mouser (i.e. I couldn't order it on their SG website). I am willing to pay reasonable duty and tax on the parts with I buy. What %#$# me off was that I was charged more duty and tax on imaginary shipping cost than on the parts. Mouser wouldn't do "free shipping" for orders over 1600B if the shipping would really cost 2500B. And that is what Thai customs imagined for the shipping cost. That is just crazy and unfair. But I know it doesn't make sense to argue with them about 1000B.

16 minutes ago, FlorC said:

The US doesn't have a VAT. There are state and local taxes that be as little as 0 and as much as (I think) 11% , but those taxed do not apply to exports.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand what you are saying. Personally I don't know anybody who lives permanently in the USA.

And I ordered the parts on the Thai website from Mouser (i.e. I couldn't order it on their SG website). I am willing to pay reasonable duty and tax on the parts with I buy. What %#$# me off was that I was charged more duty and tax on imaginary shipping cost than on the parts. Mouser wouldn't do "free shipping" for orders over 1600B if the shipping would really cost 2500B. And that is what Thai customs imagined for the shipping cost. That is just crazy and unfair. But I know it doesn't make sense to argue with them about 1000B.

I didn't mean anyone permanently living in the US , but one of us expats taking a trip home.

If I was able to fly back home for a month or so , I wouldn't mind ordering from there and bring it back for someone here.

But VAT is 21 % there.

If they only charged you 6 % on the 2500 imaginaire shipping cost , that would be 150 B , still doable , but a total of 1000 B on 2500 is ridiculous.

I haven't tried the SG Mouser site , import cost on non existing shipping cost would be lower , maybe .