Does it bother you being labelled as a "Farang" when in the company of Thais?

WineOh

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Does it bother you being labelled as a "Farang" when in the company of Thais?

No, why should it? Would it bother them if I was to say that they are Asian?

Try it!! - it's fun ????    (been there done that)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The nail you have hit on it's proverbial head, well done.  You have finally drilled down to the main subject itself.

it is instilled from birth...

and develops with age - much like how we ourselves were made to be scared of the big bad policemen..  

It creates an 'us and them' mentality amongst the locals.

Us and them mentality? There are countries where some people call all Asians Pakis, isn't that worse? 

Would you prefer " While man" then? If that's happening at a school, where all know your name and colleagues call you Farang, then it does bother me.

it's like going to the zoo... you see the elephants and the kids smile!!!!

maybe 10,000 times people say Farang and look at me....... and we are in LOS so they smile.

like when you see the monkey at the zoo ..... smile.

imagine back home....you see someone.... point.... all look.... then say Farang!!!!! 

oh, let me tell you what MIGHT happen.....  "yo, you got a problem with me?  What's your problem??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?"

but here we are submissive.  weak.  we must conform.   smile.   backbone like jelly.  convince ourselves it's in a nice way.

it usually isn't.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tifino said:

it is instilled from birth...

and develops with age - much like how we ourselves were made to be scared of the big bad policemen..  

Yes, once a long time ago when I lived in a village near Wang Sam Mo. A small child's mother pointed to me and said to her son "Farang kin dek noi.".  Same as parents use to tell their children they would have the police come take them if they did not clean their rooms and obey the parents  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Am I bothered? Not really. It carries with it certain priviliges, a certain status. As the social hierarchy goes in Thailand, being labelled as a Farang ain't so bad; try being labelled as a Burmese migrant worker, if you want something to complain about.

Everyone on this forum , no how much they think THEY are different,  has preconceived ideas and reactions (yes, and labels...whether spoken or not)  about everyone else .  

Fat people, dark people, short people, sexy people , aggressive people,  cops,  hot shots,  sandal with socks people ,  .... uh,   let me know if i left your type out .  oh, sorry, hansum men people.

As someone once said,  i  don't discriminate ,  i dislike everyone equally  ( well, maybe people in power a little more )

humans have a long way to go before i will respect them.   just the term Farang by itself not really

a big deal once you learn to ignore it.   Kind of like jinjok poo on the window sills

Just now, Ventenio said:

oh, let me tell you what MIGHT happen.....  "yo, you got a problem with me?  What's your problem??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?"

actually,  i for one much prefer the much less aggressive manner of almost ALL  Thais that i encounter.............. of course i do not live in a tourist /  expat  area  where there are many more

conflicts and issues at play

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

actually,  i for one much prefer the much less aggressive manner of almost ALL  Thais that i encounter.............. of course i do not live in a tourist /  expat  area  where there are many more

conflicts and issues at play

I agree, thais on the whole are not overtly aggressive people.

Despite all of the negativity I have witnessed here, I have never once had my head kicked in by a Thai.

I recall reading a story awhile ago that made me chuckle. It might have been here on TV. Roughly went like this: A guy in Australia (who spoke thai I think), was queueing  behind a group of Thais.  

After listening to them chatting amongst themselves and talking about the farangs around them, he tapped one on the shoulder and told them that "In this country it's you who are the farangs".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

After listening to them chatting amongst themselves and talking about the farangs around them, he tapped one on the shoulder and told them that "In this country it's you who are the farangs".

I would love to read that story.

Link would be great if you can find it.

12 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I agree, thais on the whole are not overtly aggressive people.

Despite all of the negativity I have witnessed here, I have never once had my head kicked in by a Thai.

Maybe you are not trying hard enough..    Try saying  "  Mong arai ?  Yah suek  !!  "   ????

4 hours ago, WineOh said:

as I said in my OP, I try my best not to let it bother me but sometimes it gets too much.

I know I am a foreigner, but do I need to be reminded of that fact daily? 

assuming your own country does has foreigners how are they referred to there,  are they called foreigners or by their individual nationalities and/or race... it is what it is

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

assuming your own country does has foreigners how are they referred to there,  are they called foreigners or by their individual nationalities and/or race... it is what it is

I refer to people by their names.

White, brown, black,..

whatever the color of the skin, they get first name treatment from me.

If I dont know his/her name or where he/she is from then I will make an educated guess as to where they are from & I may also ask their name.

I may even ask them 'excuse me sir/madam, what country are you from, if you don't mind me asking?'

then hopefully by their accent I can discern what corner of the world they hail from.

What I wont do is group them all together on the basis of their skin color and tar them all with the same group identifier.

As I know that this could possibly hurt their feelings ???? 

Edited by WineOh

14 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I refer to people by their names.

White, brown, black,..

whatever the color of the skin, they get first name treatment from me.

If I dont know his/her name or where he/she is from then I will make an educated guess as to where they are from & I may also ask their name.

I may even ask them 'excuse me sir/madam, what country are you from, if you don't mind me asking?'

then hopefully by their accent I can discern what corner of the world they hail from.

What I wont do is group them all together on the basis of their skin color and tar them all with the same group identifier.

As I know that this could possibly hurt their feelings ???? 

I didn't refer to you on my post... I refer, without generalizing,  to people in your country of origin, same as here, without generalizing,  not ALL Thais refer to us as farangs

I was pretty much the first Farang people in the village have personally met 20 years ago.

Now they call me by name, but when I'm not there and they talk about me, they use Farang and that's okay for me.

If it's not spoken loud in a very negative way, it's nothing others should be upset about.

Doesn't the tone make the music, somehow? 

When i stay in my GF, house , i actually nearly never heard people talk to/about me as Farang . I did get questions where i come from and things like that , but never the statement farang . Occasionally , it might happen , but that is just the same with a foreigner in a Western country ., or anywhere else on this world . When you refer people who you know , you say their name , when not and don't know who somebody is , you refer to something which is clearly visible . And yes , that does mean i am the farang in a group of Thai people . If always used in that context ,  i never mind , since it is logic . When somebody i know and knows me calls me as farang then it certainly would bother me .