Thailand reports 143 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths

webfact

Thailand reports 143 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths

ReutersFile.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 143 new coronavirus cases on Monday and two additional deaths.

Most of  the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 132 were local transmissions, while 11 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported that 862 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

1,749 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre. 

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 24,714 with 82 deaths.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-15

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

Two villages have been locked down in Korat.

Ergo my comment. Ayutthaya also has one, and then you have the university here in BKK and then Pathum Thani, and Tak.  Some true consultation of numbers would be nice, but then are they testing large scale anywhere but Samut Sakhon.  I highly doubt it, they are more than likely tracking and tracing possible contacts. Articles in a few Thai papers are asking for those that visited certain areas to go and get tested.  Maybe these are tge walk-ins, who knows.  Consistency would be nice.  

• Like 2

These reports would be more useful if we knew the following additional statistics. Same is true of Covid reporting worldwide, but for us particularly in Thailand.

a) How many testing positive were asymptomatic?

b) How many required hospitalization?

From what I can tell the Covid outbreak in Thailand regardless of spread has been less virulent than other countries with less people getting very ill or dying. I am not saying that means we should let our guard down but it would ease anxieties if the negative effects of Covid were demonstrably less severe in Thailand. But based on case and death counts alone it's not possible to tell. 

• Like 1

Just now, wasabi said:

These reports would be more useful if we knew the following additional statistics. Same is true of Covid reporting worldwide, but for us particularly in Thailand.

From what I can tell the Covid outbreak in Thailand regardless of spread has been less virulent than other countries with less people getting very ill or dying. I am not saying that means we should let our guard down but it would ease anxieties if the negative effects of Covid were demonstrably less severe in Thailand. But based on case and death counts alone it's not possible to tell. 

All who test positive on Thailand are hospitalized in one fashion or another regardless of no symptoms being present.  The migrant workers are locked in field hospitals.  No one gets to isolate at home if positive.

Actually only 69 of the 143 were in Samut Sakhon. So not "most", though SS did have the highest count by province

Next highest was Pathumthani at 50 cases so nit that far behind SS

Other provinces well under 10 cases each

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Only stupid people mate, but there's enough of them.

They need to start being completely transparent with the testing numbers and what they are doing outside of Samut Sakhon.

Transparency has never been the military, authoritarian way though...

14th February about 3000 PUI tested, considering they were testing 10000 a day just over a week ago.

Serious question.

If they are saying the most covid cases/outbreaks etc have been in S.S. for what seems like weeks now.

Why is it taking them so long to test people there?

Surely if this was meant to be a "hotspot"...they should have  been testing 10s of thousands per day since the "outbreak" there.

Like lots of things in Thailand....."I just dont get it?!"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, welshguy said:

Serious question.

If they are saying the most covid cases/outbreaks etc have been in S.S. for what seems like weeks now.

Why is it taking them so long to test people there?

Surely if this was meant to be a "hotspot"...they should have  been testing 10s of thousands per day since the "outbreak" there.

Like lots of things in Thailand....."I just dont get it?!"

They did precisely that for one week then decided it was cheaper to just lock them up in the factories and wait for herd immunity.You must have missed a couple of threads where this was discussed at length. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They did precisely that for one week then decided it was cheaper to just lock them up in the factories and wait for herd immunity.You must have missed a couple of threads where this was discussed at length. 

No I read those threads...

So why bother testing more if they are waiting for herd immunity as you say?!

9 hours ago, wasabi said:

What does it matter whether they had symptoms or no symptoms.