Expats in Thailand to be given COVID-19 vaccine: CCSA

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, alyx said:

I would get the Russian one without hesitation but would love the Johnson and Johnson  if it proves efficient

I've heard good things about the Russian vaccine:

"The use of two varying serotypes, which are given 21 days apart, is intended to overcome any pre-existing adenovirus immunity in the population.2 Among the major COVID vaccines in development to date, only Gam-COVID-Vac uses this approach; others, such as the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, use the same material for both doses."

The theory is that we could be immune to one type of Adenovirus, so if two variants are used, the chances of our immune system zapping the vaccine would be reduced. However, trials of the J&J, using Adenorvirus (26) only, showed 100% efficacy 49 days after administration. It only requires a single dose. 

Concerns of sceptics addressed here:

"The development of the Sputnik V vaccine has been criticised for unseemly haste, corner cutting, and an absence of transparency.

11 But the outcome reported here is clear and the scientific principle of vaccination is demonstrated, which means another vaccine can now join the fight to reduce the incidence of COVID-19."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

As long as it's not conditional or mandatory. I nearly died from having vaccines and I am not going through that again. My unvaccinated body is no threat to anyone's vaccinated one. I have been self isolating for over 7 years anyway.

Exactly. Last time I got a vacine I started getting sick always and hospital level sick too. Like when I get sick I am sitting with a fever of 42 or higher tend to look like I'm about to die and so on. And I normally stay like this for at least a week and even back and forth for a month or longer. Before my last vacine I never got sick like this. And also we not get covid before the vacine and if we get the vacine then we all if a sudden gett covid are they going to pay for all our medical bills as a result. What if it ended up costing us our lives. Are our loved ones going to be appropriately compensated for our loss do to being forced to take a vacine that ended up taking our lives. Some people really don't get it. A vacine is a chemical with traces of the virus in it. Any chemical that gets put in our bodies reacts with our individual chemical make up in our bodies allowing for our own reaction that can not be garonteed the same across everyone. Vaccines should also be optional and never mandatory for anything in life. And if it becomes mandatory then those who make it become 100% financially liable for any and all medical and any other problems we suffer as a result. Even if it's a medical problem that affects us for the rest of our lives and we get to chose our own medical care not then and regardless if the cost they have to pay for it. 

3 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

I've heard good things about the Russian vaccine:

"The use of two varying serotypes, which are given 21 days apart, is intended to overcome any pre-existing adenovirus immunity in the population.2 Among the major COVID vaccines in development to date, only Gam-COVID-Vac uses this approach; others, such as the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, use the same material for both doses."

The theory is that we could be immune to one type of Adenovirus, so if two variants are used, the chances of our immune system zapping the vaccine would be reduced. However, trials of the J&J, using Adenorvirus (26) only, showed 100% efficacy 49 days after administration. It only requires a single dose. 

Concerns of sceptics addressed here:

"The development of the Sputnik V vaccine has been criticised for unseemly haste, corner cutting, and an absence of transparency.

11 But the outcome reported here is clear and the scientific principle of vaccination is demonstrated, which means another vaccine can now join the fight to reduce the incidence of COVID-19."

The UK is testing giving 2 doses of different vaccines instead of 2 of the same as it may be more effective and/or get around supply problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

may be the least of every ones worries, I guess time will tell if the vaccines available will be effective down the road..

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2268014-exclusive-two-variants-have-merged-into-heavily-mutated-coronavirus/

a lot more study is needed but this is the stuff that keeps epidemiologists awake at night.. 

"Recombination could lead to the emergence of new and even more dangerous variants, although it isn’t yet clear how much of a threat this first recombination event might pose."

Might it also not create a less dangerous variant? Isn't that more probable?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

"Recombination could lead to the emergence of new and even more dangerous variants, although it isn’t yet clear how much of a threat this first recombination event might pose."

Might it also not create a less dangerous variant? Isn't that more probable?

The new variants are more dangerous and more contagious.

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Agree.
Sputnik VII it is...

Price appears to be the same as J&J: around $10. Not sure which I would go for. Sputnik has one advantage of J&J. But the latter seems to be 100% effective after 7 weeks on a single dose. I guess it depends on which ever is available. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

"Dr Apisamai also said that the private sector will be able to procure its own vaccines, providing the vaccines have approval from the regulatory authorities."

Anyone know all the different vaccines that have been approved to date?  

I don't want the Russian or Chinese vaccines.

The Oxford AZ is being made under license here in Thailand. Apparently the lab can produce 5 million doses a month

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

You would have to put a gun to my head to let anybody put anything from Pfizer into my body. Do some research on the number of payouts for adverse affects to their past vaccines including children permanently disabled. Over 5 billion dollars in pay outs. 

I know Pfizer really well.  Great company. And with regards to this jab, all seems well.

2 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

Sounds more to me like he doesn’t want it because that’s where the bloody virus came from.

Another racist sentiment?  Or just placist?  

And surely the source location would be the very best place in which to a vaccine? 

Edited by PGSan

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for the heads up, I agree, we are far better off than most countries as I did see a while back on BBC that the UK was reporting cases of up to 60,000 people per day testing positive.

The above said, I am not an anti vaxer, I did say that I was sitting on the fence and will get my usual flu and Pneumonia booster jabs come May as I did last May, and when further information comes in, I will reassess it. Both of these vaccines that I am getting are not "experimental vaccines", they have been around and tested for a while, so the information has been around on what is going into my arm, I call that getting informed information, which is my right. If a crowd is running my way screaming for me to run, I am not going to do as they tell me, I will wait, assess the situation and then decide if I actually need to run, this is how I process things.

Front line workers know the risk they take, they chose that profession, I sympathise with them, but they too have a choice, either soldier on or quit if the risk outweighs their safety.

I know what asymptomatic means, however as stated previously, my research has lead me to believe that getting vaccinated doesn't protect others, it only protects me, so if that is still the case, what is the point, e.g. I get the jab, I am protected, but everyone else isn't, so what is the good of that, so in the end, it is still my choice.

If you are on a different page to my thinking that the vaccines protect everyone, i.e. doesn't make me asymptomatic, then please send me the link/s.

EDIT: https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/02/1017161/covid-vaccine-asymptomatic-transmission-pfizer-trial/

The link you give shows how vaccines protect others by bringing down the R number. 

Vaccines are not a silver bullet and we will most likely need more vaccinations as variants appear. At the moment they are our best hope but need a very high take up worldwide and as quickly as possible to be effective. 

Flue vaccines are changing all the time so are also "experimental".

To use your analogy -

If a crowd is running towards me screaming run, I would not hang around to see what the problem is, I would run as I might not be fast enough if there was say,  a tsunami coming, and a little running is not a problem. But, I do risk tripping up and getting hurt over nothing. 

As for front line workers, (in the UK) they really are heroes who are under immense pressure while knowing many of their colleagues are dying. If they all just quit that would be disastrous. Luckily for us they are dedicated and don't give up that easily. 

Unlike us you have much more time toget more information and I am sure you will end up agreeing to take one of the vaccines rather than risk what many here are going through. Especially if you intend travelling or when Thailand opens up again. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

You would have to put a gun to my head to let anybody put anything from Pfizer into my body. Do some research on the number of payouts for adverse affects to their past vaccines including children permanently disabled. Over 5 billion dollars in pay outs. 

Yet you have no problem getting into a car for pleasure which is far more dangerous than a vaccine that can not only save your life and reduce the risk of long covid but also can stop you killing others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Percy P said:

What's wrong with it. China is almost back to normal after using it.

Actually not true, massive and stringent lockdowns controlled it, now it is regional depending on outbreaks. Most have not had the vaccine, indeed the Chinese are exporting it to gain political advantage in 3rd world Countries over their own people.

15 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Another racist sentiment?  Or just placist?  

And surely the source location would be the very best place in which to a vaccine? 

Not when the CCP tried to first cover it up and allow it to be spread abroad then denying it started there while not letting it be investigated. The CCP are not to be trusted in any way including being truthful about their vaccines. 

12 minutes ago, PGSan said:
1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

The new variants are more dangerous and more contagious.

Not really.  But it is only those variants that spread a lot better that get established and hence discovered

You are arguing against yourself. 

Even if they affect people the same, if they spread better they are more dangerous. 

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Understood. While my crystal ball is cloudy ... I am thinking that any nation which might demand vaccination as a condition of remaining for those foreigners already established within the borders will be problematic. Yes, could happen as we have see with those of us on an O-A Visa being required to have health insurance but I think physical vaccination is a different matter. After a decade in the Kingdom of Thailand as my only residence I certainly would be appealing to my Embassy and the UN to intervene for my protection. That said, I await availability of the Pfizer or Astra Zeneca vaccine availability.

Not to sound cruel but appealing to your embassy and the UN might get you a sympathetic ear but nothing more.  Like it or not, all of us Farangs are guests in the Kingdom and have to abide by the laws and customs here. 

Being vaccinated against Covid-19 is not for your own welfare as much as it is for the welfare of the population as a whole.  You have a right to refuse the vaccination but you do not have the right to put those around you in jeopardy by your decision. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Not to sound cruel but appealing to your embassy and the UN might get you a sympathetic ear but nothing more.  Like it or not, all of us Farangs are guests in the Kingdom and have to abide by the laws and customs here. 

Being vaccinated against Covid-19 is not for your own welfare as much as is is for the welfare of the population of the Kingdom as a whole.

Understood ... might. The question will be balanced against “forcing” a physical act as a condition of remaining. A requirement for entry, I think, is a different matter. I did conform to certifying my good health before being allowed entry..I have stated that I am not opposed to vaccination, rather would be opposed to being physically required to accept a vaccine determined by a government ... say of the Chinese variety.

• Like 1

One for the UK expats (and others maybe)......vaccinated in the UK gets you on the NHS register and will allow you to travel/go to bars and restaurants etc....if we are vaccinated over here....what then?

Do we have to be vaccinated again in the UK to get NHS registered?....will the NHS accept some form of document from Thailand saying we are vaccinated?......What if it is a vaccine used in Thailand is not approved by the UK?

Just a few thoughts looking ahead.......

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Once a vaccine is made generally available, then the question will be whether visa renewal or even 90 day check-in is linked to such. And also requirements for air travel. 

Yes, that is a problem - and there's also doubt about whether or not vaccinated people can still transmit it even if they don't get sick.

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

So here's an idea...pretty radical I know.......don't smoke, eat a sensible diet, take some exercise and tip the odds in your favor.....??

Great idea, but I can't seem to roll back the clock so I'm less than 70.   Now, where's that portrait I had done last month.....

• Haha 2