Expats in Thailand to be given COVID-19 vaccine: CCSA

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

ditto for the Chula version.

Hopefully there will be a paid option to get Pfizer, Oxford etc. (not Sputnik).

Totally agree have always paid for my vaccines and for my wife and daughter.

At least you know they

( hopefully) have been properly transported and stored

20 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

to those who want a different vaccine than offered may have to go home, perhaps they'll tie it into visa renewals eventually..

If you read the article it states that the private sector

( presumably private hospitals etc) can procure their own supplies.

That is where you can make your choice.

I cannot see the private hospital I use which is internationally accredited and uses top quality drugs buying the Chinese or Russian version

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I don't listen to the weasel words, reversals, insinuations and implications that have been rolling out for the last few months regarding vaccine availability and priorities. 

Until they actually have some vaccine in hand its just a fool's game. 

I'm prepared to wait it out and then pay for what's available that I can trust. 

My extension of stay is due end of May. My only wish is that immigration does not link vaccinations and renewals until after that point. It seems inevitable that they will eventually require it. 

Agree

Foreigners will be vaccinated “ from “ June !!

A lot can change from now until then and June will most likely become September or October ( IMHO ), a few more strains will probably  appear and probably the range of vaccines available will change accordingly.

So not much point in stamping your feet and saying “ I’m not having this or that vaccine” until we actually see what is on offer and what the efficacy ratings become !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Maybe you need to find some better sources for your research as being an anti vaxer is not making you look very clever. But if your talking about the Chinese vaccine then I agree and would only take that as a last resort.

Thanks for the heads up, I agree, we are far better off than most countries as I did see a while back on BBC that the UK was reporting cases of up to 60,000 people per day testing positive.

The above said, I am not an anti vaxer, I did say that I was sitting on the fence and will get my usual flu and Pneumonia booster jabs come May as I did last May, and when further information comes in, I will reassess it. Both of these vaccines that I am getting are not "experimental vaccines", they have been around and tested for a while, so the information has been around on what is going into my arm, I call that getting informed information, which is my right. If a crowd is running my way screaming for me to run, I am not going to do as they tell me, I will wait, assess the situation and then decide if I actually need to run, this is how I process things.

Front line workers know the risk they take, they chose that profession, I sympathise with them, but they too have a choice, either soldier on or quit if the risk outweighs their safety.

I know what asymptomatic means, however as stated previously, my research has lead me to believe that getting vaccinated doesn't protect others, it only protects me, so if that is still the case, what is the point, e.g. I get the jab, I am protected, but everyone else isn't, so what is the good of that, so in the end, it is still my choice.

If you are on a different page to my thinking that the vaccines protect everyone, i.e. doesn't make me asymptomatic, then please send me the link/s.

EDIT: https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/02/1017161/covid-vaccine-asymptomatic-transmission-pfizer-trial/

Edited by 4MyEgo

Has any "official" information been released about WHEN expats (specifically) would be entitled to receive  vaccinations?  The last CSSA briefing I saw only seemed to say that expats would be included, but nothing about if high-risk expats would be in the initial pool of recipients when the bulk of presently ordered vaccines arrive here from abroad (i.e.: supposedly by June).

And I guess a second question I have (that I can't really find a legitimate answer to) is WHY is it taking so long?  I mean June seems to be an awfully long time to wait when vaccines are being rolled out en-masse in many other countries right now.

Edited by WaveHunter

20 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I realize covid has curtailed a lot of travel but interest hasn't waned much if you're a follower of this site at all - the outcry of the ASQ situation alone doesn't lend itself to the idea that Thailand has been abandoned by long termers - hell you can say that about the majority of the world presently.

"..the outcry of the ASQ situation alone doesn't lend itself to the idea that Thailand has been abandoned by long termers ..."

Last numbers I saw, there's over 90 ASQ hotels in operation, many with large numbers of rooms reserved only for quarantine.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Has any "official" information been released about WHEN expats (specifically) would be entitled to receive  vaccinations?  The last CSSA briefing I saw only seemed to say that expats would be included, but nothing about if high-risk expats would be in the initial pool of recipients (i.e.: supposedly in June).

And did the announcement specifically say at no charge?

So what will be the requirements for expats to get vaccinated?

- Non-Imm. Visa or extension + TM.6

- TM. 30

- 2x pass photo

- Bank statement / Proof of income

- Certificate of residential address

- Map and photos of residency

- In case married, signed approval by wife to get vaccinated

- Medical certificate (free from Elephantiasis, TBC, Drug abuse, alcoholism, ...)

- Covid free certificate not older than 72 hours

- Thai Insurance covering Covid (for the case vaccine does not work)

And then you are good to go...easy ????

I was always convinced the Thai government would care about expats...by the way, it was not mentioned it will be free for expats...

(This post is not serious)

Edited by Mak25

22 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Thailand ranked 56th for maths globally - I think they didnt do the 2 times multipler.

Pot and kettle, you think that the whole population is over 18, AZ vaccine has not been approved for those under 18 years.

Plus there will be those that refuse and those that cannot have the vaccine due to medical conditions.

Maybe you should do the maths again.

Unfortunately I have underlying conditions and as we age our immune systems can become weaker, that said, a few years become quite ill because I didn't get my usual flu jab, missed it for 4 years, that said, I do blame it on my thinking I can handle it, WRONG, after I recovered, I got the flu jab and was also advised to get the Pneumonia jab and booster in a year as Thailand has a high number of Pneumonia deaths, I researched that and confirmed 45,000 deaths of Pneumonia in 2018 in Thailand alone. I am 60 years of age.

Each to their own, do your research and then decide what you want to do, I don't get into the big pharma conspiracies and the rest, I just look at the science and then decide if their is enough science in it to convince me, for now will sit on the fence for the COVID vaccine, but Johnstone and Johnstone's vaccine sounds very promising, but will see with time.

Stay safe.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

Judging from the very recent experience of four of my friends in England, I'd really prefer to get vaccinated with the Pfizer version.  They had the Oxford/AZ shot and all felt at least mildly ill for two or three days: a small price to pay for the protection it appears to offer, but I'd sooner skip that part if possible.

The question of whether to get vaccinated at all simply shouldn't be on the table without a very sound medical reason. 

Couldn't agree more - these anti-vaxxers are, IMO delusional at best.

I had my first AZ shot yesterday - here I am 20 hours later with a very slight ache in my arm where I lay on it in bed - no other side effects - feeling fine.

Another friend of mine experienced similar last week

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

My view is that vaccines are not so much about benefiting you as an individual, but more importantly, the population as a whole.  So, even if your own immune system can fight off the virus, you can still be an asymptomatic carrier and infect someone else who's immune system is compromised.

Edited by onthedarkside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Well, if I might waffle a bit? I would prefer to get Pfizer or Astra-Zeneca. Somehow I do not think it will come to being deported. Too many political issues.

But do you not think that visa extensions might require proof of vaccination?

If so, isn't it tantamount to get vaccinated or leave?

I'm asking a rhetorical question, not telling or suggesting!

Get vaccinated against anything for which a vaccine exists and increase your chances of a healthy life, rather than a fearful existence. 

Edited by onthedarkside
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Here's a link to and interesting article on how the Israel vaccination program is going and seems to indicate a significant reduction in transmissibility.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-02-19/covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-viral-load-drops-first-dose/13156116

That's a great article; thanks for posting it.  For those who doubt the efficacy and safety of vaccines, they'd do well to read it ????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

The first is the vaccine, the second a nose spray.

Don't laugh with nose spray .....

as  i just read news that there is a nose spray developed and now go on testing faze ..... not a real vaccine, but it seems to avoid to be infected for 24 hours by covid 19 .... very useful for travelers  example by  airplane  , being in other crowded places /environments

Nasal spray blocks COVID-19 infection in ferrets | Cornell Chronicle

All interesting stuff, AstraZeneca do seem to have facilities in Thailand so I would hope that one will the favoured one, said to be much cheaper per shot than rivals/others.

It is good that everyone will get the offer of the vaccine but no one has said how and when contact is going to be made which of course then leads to other questions. As we know here that politicians are big on statements but low on action, lets not get too excited yet.