Bike test - what to expect?

Badger18

I've been booked in for a bike test. They didn't ask what category of licence I wanted or whether I'd be bringing my own bike, and I didn't think to check. They did say there was a written test beforehand.

If anyone could give me an idea of what to expect, that'd be excellent.

1 hour ago, Badger18 said:

I've been booked in for a bike test. They didn't ask what category of licence I wanted or whether I'd be bringing my own bike, and I didn't think to check. They did say there was a written test beforehand.

Well there's a sort of copy of the questions ask somewhere here on TV. 

You need to know things the way they want you to answer, our DLT was very helpful to my friend telling him which was the right answer to some of the questions. 

As for the practical test if you can't pass that you shouldn't be riding anything. ????????

On 2/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Surelynot said:

Watched them taking their tests for an hour in Chaiyaphum.....everyone who didn't fall off passed straight away.....the ones that fell off had to pay extra before they got their licence.

The actual driver part was much too simple but the distance and the size of the 4 x 4 last run was tricky for someone with less experience, The English version of the written test was intentionally tricky as are those in CA USA

On 2/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You’ll be tasked with one or two of the following: 

- Weaving down the road with a cigarette and phone in one hand.

- Pottering down a hard shoulder with a baby in your arm

- Swerving round the potholes with no lights in pitch-black (being drunk optional)

- Pulling out from a side street without looking then cutting across the other 2 lanes

- Avoiding vats of boiling hot oil, soi dogs, lamp-posts, dangling wires while riding down an uneven pavement (sidewalk)

----

Really, a very rudimentary practical test (lots of google info out there). 

A multiple choice theory test (best to have a go through the online versions first as the questions can be a bit wacky, i.e. asking which of these is legal on the streets - the correct answer is a tank !)

Watching a video, reaction test, colourblind check, proximity test.... 

There are a couple of tasks you omitted,

riding along footpaths,

riding towards oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road.

• Like 1

The written test before  the road test will be done in a room with a computer. Search youtube and google and you find the answers to the test, Takes about 5 minutes for the test.The questions are common sense and you should have no trouble with the test. 

The road test will be done with your own bike,  and as follows, start at the line, make a left turn, and go in and out around   I believe 7 or 8 cones. Go through a mini road course and at the end come to stop. You will then go across a " bridge " which is a board  about 3 inches high, and 6 inches wide. Cross the the bridge and again come to complete stop and you are done. Make sure to use your turn signals, and of course use a helmet. Takes maybe 2 minutes to complete. Most fail because of failing off the wooden bridge. The faster you go across the plank the more stable the bike will be. Both test are easy and you should no problems with either. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

The actual driver part was much too simple but the distance and the size of the 4 x 4 last run was tricky for someone with less experience, The English version of the written test was intentionally tricky as are those in CA USA

When I sat the written test years ago, there was 21 people sitting that day and only 7 passed, yes I was one of them, I know because my wife was with me and was talking to one of the instructors. The ones who failed would come back the next day.

For the road test there were only the 7 of us, the first two failed, so I sent my wife with 1000 Bt for the guy who was taking the test, he accepted and gave me a pass but said I would still have to take the road test as people were watching, I failed, but never really tried, and yes, it was very hard.

Edited by possum1931
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad I got my lifetime motorcycle license 43 years ago.  I don't remember any test or anything.  Might have paid an extra 100 Baht for the lifetime license but I'm set now. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I had a license plate and certainly no insurance. Up in Loei, the highway check point cops only stopped me to practice their English and pass the time of day. 

It certainly helped that I worked for a Thai government agency and my co-workers did all the paperwork. :clap2:

Edited by Damrongsak

On 2/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Badger18 said:

a long day 555

Flame post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

When I did my motorbike test 18 months ago on Phuket (on my own 300cc bike) the lady running the 3 hour morning video session gave me this link 

http://thaidriving.info/

She told me to study it as it was based on the multiple choice computer test they give you in the afternoon.

Luckily I had already found the site a few days before so had a few days to remeber everything.

Got 49 out of 50 in the test so must have covered everything.

The practical is easy if you can ride a bike: slalom around cones, riding straight on a raised "beam" about 1 foot wide, turning corner, roundabout etc.

Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Good luck