Snakes Snakes Snakes Everywhere

chanchao

kaa.gif

I can never get enough of those snake topics. :o

Oh that's easy it is from the animated movie "The Jungle Book", the character is Kaa the Snakewhich has the voice of Sterling Holloway

the things I know is terrifying

CB

Ah, the Cotto Floortile Ant Snake? Magnificent creature, totally harmless, when juvenile, and dead. And vital in preserving natural balance around your house, as ants prefer it over eating your wooden window frames.

Edited by chanchao

Found this wee fella in the kitchen the other morming.The cat had nailed it,and ants were taking over...

Pretty sure that it is a banded krait??

Ahh! the Bungarus fasciatus (Banded Krait)

Check out: http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_bungarus.html

Very deadly snake. Your cat is lucky to be alive. Docile during daytime but very active and aggressive at night. Eats other snakes!

Found this wee fella in the kitchen the other morming.The cat had nailed it,and ants were taking over...

Very deadly snake. Your cat is lucky to be alive. Docile during daytime but very active and aggressive at night. Eats other snakes!

Not so sure about that.This is the second krait that he has killed.I read somewhere that cats kill many more snakes than the other way around.Except for the big bruisers of course.. :D

Not so sure about that.This is the second krait that he has killed.I read somewhere that cats kill many more snakes than the other way around.Except for the big bruisers of course.. :D

Cats are notoriously too ###### good as hunters - Australia has been struggling with the debate to outlaw all cats because of the damage they cause to the local wildlife. It will not happen of course but it is a serious problem.

On our home property - we always kept cats to keep the snakes at bay. They working dogs very quickly get an education in cat etiquette and learn to treat them with respect. Many times we had a full grown mulga or king brown dead on the back door step as a offering to the humans from the house cats. Problem was all the other things they dragged home as well.

CB

Cats are notoriously too ###### good as hunters - Australia has been struggling with the debate to outlaw all cats because of the damage they cause to the local wildlife. It will not happen of course but it is a serious problem.

On our home property - we always kept cats to keep the snakes at bay. They working dogs very quickly get an education in cat etiquette and learn to treat them with respect. Many times we had a full grown mulga or king brown dead on the back door step as a offering to the humans from the house cats. Problem was all the other things they dragged home as well.

CB

Cat most likely got him in the day time (early morning or late evening). And if he brought in in the house at night does not mean he killed it then. Of couse unless you personally saw it. The point is this snake is not to be treated lightly. Depending on the bite location "death" will occur unless an anti-serum is administered and you don't have a lot time like you would with say a "rattlesnake". Kraits are beneficial. They go after the pit vipers that are even mopre dangerous.

I know all this because I use to collect them with a herpetologist as a college project years ago. I don't think things have changed that much.

And yes "Cats" are very good hunters. Kudos to your cat.