Blood Pressure Medication

myprivate

On 3/3/2021 at 4:49 PM, myprivate said:

I'm in my late 50's, blood pressure has been steadily rising the last couple of years, now it's often in the range 130-150, rarely below 130. Tried losing weight and exercising, etc., not much difference. My mother, father and brother all needed blood pressure meds once they hit 60.

What would be the first drug to try for somebody based in Thailand? People may say "go to see a Doctor" but once 'high blood pressure' is diagnosed it seriously affects health insurance, for example exclusions for cardio-vascular conditions, or a much higher premium. I don't want that on my record at this stage. Prefer to manage it myself, at least in the early stage, using blood pressure monitor and locally purchased meds.

No other health issues except high cholesterol (which is controlled by statins), taking no other meds at this stage.

except high cholesterol   ( not part of the problem )

(which is controlled by statins),  which in itself is part of the problem ....

ever considor.. changing your diet ?     

On 3/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, myprivate said:

I'm in my late 50's, blood pressure has been steadily rising the last couple of years, now it's often in the range 130-150, rarely below 130. Tried losing weight and exercising, etc., not much difference. My mother, father and brother all needed blood pressure meds once they hit 60.

What would be the first drug to try for somebody based in Thailand? People may say "go to see a Doctor" but once 'high blood pressure' is diagnosed it seriously affects health insurance, for example exclusions for cardio-vascular conditions, or a much higher premium. I don't want that on my record at this stage. Prefer to manage it myself, at least in the early stage, using blood pressure monitor and locally purchased meds.

No other health issues except high cholesterol (which is controlled by statins), taking no other meds at this stage.

I do not believe in self medicating in your case !!! You are not a cardiologist. Just get a full check up, and get the appropriate meds. You can’t play around with this. If you’re worried, get it done in another country and it will not be on record.,

13 minutes ago, geisha said:

I do not believe in self medicating in your case !!! You are not a cardiologist. Just get a full check up, and get the appropriate meds. You can’t play around with this. If you’re worried, get it done in another country and it will not be on record.,

How do you think giving advice more than 3 years later is going to assist the OP?

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How do you think giving advice more than 3 years later is going to assist the OP?

It would be nice to know how the OP is doing.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:01 PM, Upnotover said:

Take what your brother started on?  Assuming he's still alive.  If not, try something different.

Thats really good advice mate .If his brother has already died he probably took tHe wrong blood pressure tablets !!!!

3 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

Thats really good advice mate .If his brother has already died he probably took tHe wrong blood pressure tablets !!!!

You may well be right, seeing the OP hasn't been on here since 2021.

I thing you can try before taking meds is flaxseed. It's a super food and good for reducing high blood pressure.

The good thing it's has lots of other health benefits as well. 

Do a search on YouTube. It's recommended.

I eat them with yogurt and smoothies. It's a great taste as well.

But bottom line is you need to have a healthy diet and exercise.

I think it's a natural way to reduce high blood pressure.

9 minutes ago, karl2007 said:

I thing you can try before taking meds is flaxseed. It's a super food and good for reducing high blood pressure.

The good thing it's has lots of other health benefits as well. 

Do a search on YouTube. It's recommended.

I eat them with yogurt and smoothies. It's a great taste as well.

But bottom line is you need to have a healthy diet and exercise.

I think it's a natural way to reduce high blood pressure.

I too eat these, but I grind them up in a coffee grinder, as I read the body sometimes cannot digest them with the husks complete. Bought on Lazada by the kilo bag, dirt cheap.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I too eat these, but I grind them up in a coffee grinder, as I read the body sometimes cannot digest them with the husks complete. Bought on Lazada by the kilo bag, dirt cheap.

Yes, they have to be grinded, I do that in an attachment to my blender.

Edited by msbkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

Garlic taken as a supplement is VERY efficient and can lower your BP long term.

Whatever brand you get, start out with twice the recommended dosage, and then you will likely want to go to 3 and then 4 times the suggested dosage.....

Within reason there is no way to overdo it. 

I take Garlic 5000, from Now ( a very well known brand) and I take 4 times the suggested dosage, twice a day. Try buying from iHerb.

And again, taking large amounts of garlic is VERY safe. 

• Thumbs Up 1