Finding Land to Invest In

My F-in-L has 9 rai for sale - he has been trying to sell it for over 10 years. Of course, the price he wants is too high. The area is beginning to see the odd house pop up, but i do not expect to see that 10 million he wants before i die.

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So you are a Thai citizen then? Otherwise you were doing it for someone else. Bit risky here. 

Nope. I put it into a Thai person's name that I trusted and then took out 30 year leases.

When I sold, the lease was voided and the Thai person was given a small percentage just for their signature.

I agree it's riskier than having land in your own name, but I was present in the boom years and I knew an honest Thai person. My trust in them was justified.

There is always unavoidable risk, but you can minimize it.

Land in my area has been a good investment. Around Nong Khai. Not all parts. They are building the new rail terminal as well as expanding the road way connecting to the friendship bridge. A few years ago would have been a dandy time for some land. Today prices for land around our properties are just nuts. A quarter of a rai sold for nearly 1,000,000! Crazy. 

But construction is going crazy. There is talk of an airport going in Bueng Kan as well possible new highway and rail systems connecting to Udon Thani. Now best bits would already been spoken for but still some potential.

A few other areas around the far North East will see the spill over from the extra trading once the rail line to china is completed. Many plots along highways 211, 212 and others have good potential.

Right now we have one plot that 10 years ago could have sold for 800,000. We have been offered 4,000,000 for it. People are looking for property close to Laos border for trade route. Sri Chang Mai, Tha Bo, Pak, some the areas heading toward Chiang Khan will only increase in value over the next 10 years or so. Roads are being upgraded. Basic infrastructure like water, sewer, and electrical being upgraded. 

So point is, as others have said, look at an area. Talk to local people. There are really good investments still out there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Says the person with no response.

Sad you begrudge others doing well where you have failed in recent times.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You never answered my question.

"and what has that got to do with buying and selling land? Maybe you put it in stocks and bonds".

Failed? I made money on every piece of land or property I bought. Can you say the same thing? Do you actually have any land or properties here?

Attacking the poster and not the post is a sure sign that you've blown your wad.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You never answered my question.

"and what has that got to do with buying and selling land? Maybe you put it in stocks and bonds".

Failed? I made money on every piece of land or property I bought. Can you say the same thing? Do you actually have any land or properties here?

Attacking the poster and not the post is a sure sign that you've blown your wad.

You just told everyone you cant make money on land anymore, yet others can, you failed.

Jog on.......

Edited by sungod

18 hours ago, rct99q said:

Land in my area has been a good investment. Around Nong Khai. Not all parts. They are building the new rail terminal as well as expanding the road way connecting to the friendship bridge. A few years ago would have been a dandy time for some land. Today prices for land around our properties are just nuts. A quarter of a rai sold for nearly 1,000,000! Crazy. 

But construction is going crazy. There is talk of an airport going in Bueng Kan as well possible new highway and rail systems connecting to Udon Thani. Now best bits would already been spoken for but still some potential.

A few other areas around the far North East will see the spill over from the extra trading once the rail line to china is completed. Many plots along highways 211, 212 and others have good potential.

Right now we have one plot that 10 years ago could have sold for 800,000. We have been offered 4,000,000 for it. People are looking for property close to Laos border for trade route. Sri Chang Mai, Tha Bo, Pak, some the areas heading toward Chiang Khan will only increase in value over the next 10 years or so. Roads are being upgraded. Basic infrastructure like water, sewer, and electrical being upgraded. 

So point is, as others have said, look at an area. Talk to local people. There are really good investments still out there. 

Likewise, in Khon Kaen land is increasing in value exponentially but I've missed the boat.

16 years ago, I was offered 1 rai near a lake in town for 100,000 baht. It's currently worth about 8 million!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:41 AM, rickudon said:

My F-in-L has 9 rai for sale - he has been trying to sell it for over 10 years. Of course, the price he wants is too high. The area is beginning to see the odd house pop up, but i do not expect to see that 10 million he wants before i die.

The land has been for sale for 10 years.  How long has he owned it?  Is it productive land?  Does it return any revenue?  

If you took into account the years of ownership, and the loss on not having that purchase money for the land earning elsewhere, with a compounding allowance, that land is going to have to appreciate more than 10 or so years of income lost for that purchase money. 

Of course, old Somchai will say, "I buy for 1 million baht.  I sell 10 years later for 1.2 million baht.  I make 200k baht profit."  ???? 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, Leaver said:

The land has been for sale for 10 years.  How long has he owned it?  Is it productive land?  Does it return any revenue?  

If you took into account the years of ownership, and the loss on not having that purchase money for the land earning elsewhere, with a compounding allowance, that land is going to have to appreciate more than 10 or so years of income lost for that purchase money. 

Of course, old Somchai will say, "I buy for 1 million baht.  I sell 10 years later for 1.2 million baht.  I make 200k baht profit."  ???? 

I would have sold it years ago. Productive? Rarely. Has only planted rice 3 or 4 times in last 10 years, usually only if a government subsidy available - it has a flooding problem so difficult to harvest. And because of the seasonal flooding, the infilling for building would cost millions. Damn Thai face!

On 3/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, rickudon said:

I would have sold it years ago. Productive? Rarely. Has only planted rice 3 or 4 times in last 10 years, usually only if a government subsidy available - it has a flooding problem so difficult to harvest. And because of the seasonal flooding, the infilling for building would cost millions. Damn Thai face!

As mentioned, as long as he sells it for 1 baht more than he paid for it 10 years ago, in his mind he has made a profit, and you will never change his mind on that.  ????